Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Committment to the run still evident; perhaps too much?

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Committment to the run still evident; perhaps too much?

Mendy was running hard today, he was busting tackles left and right. The OL was making some nice holes for him all day long despite the injuries to players at various time during the game. However having said that, I think we saw the traditional Bruce Arians "are you f'n kidding me" thought process in getting way too conservative. Multiple occasions we had chances to exploit the vulnerable secondary of Cleveland but yet we don't capitalize on the opportunity.

I know we need to run, and I'm glad to see we were able to continue that today, but seriously here, you've got to let Ben open it up some more and get that ball down field. This team is going to have some issues finding a balance where we let Ben make plays but still use the run that way we need too. Overall, I guess you could say not much has changed. A win is a win, I get that, and nobody is more happy than me today as we go to 4-1 but ya know you still have to scratch you're head and wonder how we'll be going forward.

Assistant Coach nuclearchihuahuas's Avatar
    I think in the upcoming weeks the play selection will lean toward passing. For today, running was a good call especially to take time off of the clock. I do believe, however, if Ben had hit those throws he missed in the second half, Mendy would have been on the sideline more -- unless of course they were all scores and then Arians would have run it.
    :logospin:

My Mood
    no mood
    Arians doesn't understand that the pass sets up the run. He also doesn't understand that run, run, pass isn't fooling anyone.

James Harrison - "Right now, you know, some people may want to jump on the Steelers bandwagon.
    Don't do that. We don't need you. We didn't need you at the beginning, we don't need you now."

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelJunkie View Post
    Arians doesn't understand that the pass sets up the run. He also doesn't understand that run, run, pass isn't fooling anyone.
    That's what was driving me nuts today; that whole run run pass thing is so predictable. I know Mendy was running hard and the OL was opening up some nice holes today but still you have to mix it up more often. Being predictable at any time is not acceptable. I don't know why I'm surprised, and I guess I'm really not, but...ugh.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar

Lord knows I"m not making any excuses for Arians but I like the way he managed the game today. He easied Ben back in today. And..after that early interception, Arians had to make sure to settle things down.

Going forward, Ben will cut it loose more and Mendy will have big holes when he does run the ball. No worries.

WE ARE IN FIRST PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO STEELERS!!
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

the browns play calling made colt look good. arians in his typical way, makes our great O look average.

zero extension still for BA..

--- Added 10/18/2010 at 06:49 AM ---

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    There will be a better mix of run/pass going foward. But you have to factor in the rust that Ben had. Especially early. Arians was over protective. But you can't blame him..especially after the interception.
    The INT.. In the Redzone again... Ben is making a habit of this.

I thought the same way when it seemed we kept running up the middle in the second half for little gain. I don't mind the conservative approach, but a run to the outside or off tackle may prove more effective in moving the chains/timeclock than trying to run it down their throats when they know the run is coming.

Redman had some nice runs, good to see the contributions from him. Seems the training camp hero is panning out, unlike Hood. (another topic huh ktrain). If Redman can be effective in picking up the 3rd down blitzs like Moore I would be inclined to phase out Moore and open a roster spot for Brown who is more dynamic on the kick returns.
    Have Terrible Towel, Will Travel.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Arians always gets on my nerves, but he was REALLY getting on my nerves today. Stupid play calls, one after another after another. Just ONCE I want a bomb to the end zone for Mike Wallace on first down. JUST ONCE. When you have the momentum, it can't hurt. Come on Arians. Tomlin kept you around for some reason, do something with our offense.

i actually kinda liked the play calling, the run run pass could have been shaken up a little but for the most part it was ok. I still don't get passing on 3rd and 2 when you are averaging 4 yds per run?????????

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Farrior Fan View Post
    i actually kinda liked the play calling, the run run pass could have been shaken up a little but for the most part it was ok. I still don't get passing on 3rd and 2 when you are averaging 4 yds per run?????????
    Yea the game plan started out good then went south as it always does, BA SUCKS seriously, if we ever get a real OC we are gonna be unstoppable, i hate that run run pass BS...But a win is a win and we are in 1st place

Thread Information