Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers-Browns Rivalry ranked among world's top sporting events

Bookmark and Share
    Waterboy

Steelers-Browns Rivalry ranked among world's top sporting events

I found an interesting website, called The Ultimate Sports List (www.tusl.com) that ranks the world's supposed 150 greatest sporting events. The Steelers-Browns rivalry makes the list, and is ranked #126 overall and #7 in the NFL (Super Bowl is #3 overall, #1 in NFL). Other NFL rivalries ranked are Packers-Bears at Lambeau, Cowboys-Redskins and Giants-Eagles.

Overall top sporting event in the world according to this site (which was supposedly done by fan voting)? The Summer Olympics.

My Mood
    Love
    It has been around for many, many, many, many, many, many, years. One of the best rivalries ever.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It is a classic rivalry that goes WAY back; most old school fans will consider it the best rivalry game the Steelers play each year. The Ravens are far more of a hated, heated rivalry over the last decade. Since the Browns beat us last year though, I'm sure this game will be more intense than in the past when we normally won most of the time.

Chiefs/Raiders, Cowboys/Redskins should be high on that list too.

Well, it looks like the Steelers won't have to worry about Jerome Harrison this Sunday. He's been traded to the Eagles for Mike Bell:

Eagles trade Bell for Harrison

Assistant Coach nuclearchihuahuas's Avatar
    I am surprised this game is ranked so high as a rivalry. I haven't seen it that way since the original Browns moved to Baltimore. I am hoping last year's meltdown does not recur again but speaking for myself I haven't seen this browns team as a rival, well, ever. The browns that became ratbirds are the rival, this cleveland team still needs work before I consider it tough enough to be hated by me on a regular basis.
    :logospin:

I have very fond memories of the rival from when I was a crazy teenager. For $35 we would get a bus from Wilmerding to Cleveland, all the beer you can drink on the bus, (great when you're 19! ) ticket to the game, and a steak dinner at the Brown Derby on the way home. It wasn't possible to go into the bathroom alone or you would get beat up. Some of the best times I've had doing anything. There were also fights at 3 Rivers but nowhere near as many as there were in Cleveland. Like today there were always way more Steeler fans in Cleveland than Browns fans in Pgh.

I went to several games in their new stadium after the got a team back. It just wasn't anywhere close to the same. I'm not sure if it's being old and more relaxed or simply you feel bad for the poor bastards. One thing that I will say is their fans are die hards and they deserve better. I hope one day soon they will be more of a challenge to play, a rivalry isn't a rivalry anymore if one team wins a high percentage of the time.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by harpo View Post
    Well, it looks like the Steelers won't have to worry about Jerome Harrison this Sunday. He's been traded to the Eagles for Mike Bell:

Eagles trade Bell for Harrison
    The Browns will be brown, pretty stupid move IMO!!

You would think Harrison has more upside... but they are actually both 27 years old which surprised me when I looked it up.

I know Bell has had some success in goal line situations... Can't see him having much of an impact in Cleveland

Harrison is probably a much better fit in the Eagles offense... Mangina just doesn't like the kid, period.

it's certainly my favorite rivalry in sports, even though it's been one sided recently. i love the atmosphere of the entire week before the game.
    Once a fan, always a fan.
    --Andy

Assistant Coach nuclearchihuahuas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A Pac View Post
    it's certainly my favorite rivalry in sports, even though it's been one sided recently. i love the atmosphere of the entire week before the game.
    I have to agree with your atmosphere statement. Even though the Steelers have won the last 12 out of 13 games, the Browns fans never hang their heads or lose enthusiasm; which has got to make you respect a fan like that.

I do not know if any one else noticed but Sterling Sharpe actually picked the Browns in this game because Colt McCoy is the "winniningest college qb" and they have Hillis and a good D. I give him props for saying it but I have to disagree most vehimently. I think a new QB no matter how good is bound to have difficulties. IMHO
    :logospin:

Thread Information