Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loss to Cleveland in '09 still fresh

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Loss to Cleveland in '09 still fresh

That loss last year to them in Cleveland that dealt the killing blow to our playoff chances just stings. We've beaten them 12 of the last 13 times and 18 of the last 20 but that one hurt last year. Sure we stunk up the joint pretty much all year but still. Our divisional record last year was horrific, the worst that I can remember in a long time. The Steelers certainly have not forgotten that loss either, I expect them to come out next Sunday firing on all cylinders and rip the hearts out of the Browns right from the onset.

None of this letting them hang around, playing down to the competition, settling for FG's all day long in the redzone. We need TD's, big time passes from Ben, Mendy running wild, and the defense playing lights out all day. It's time to send a message to the league that even though we are 3-1, we are just getting started.

On the Steelers: Loss at Cleveland in '09 bitter

Monday, October 11, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mark Duncan/Associated Press
    The Browns sacked Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger eight times in last year's game in Cleveland.

The NFL provided the Steelers a break even as its commissioner suspended quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for the first four games of the season.

The league at least tossed the Steelers a bone by allowing Roethlisberger two weeks to practice before playing his first game, and by making sure he had a soft landing by scheduling the Cleveland Browns at Heinz Field for his comeback.

It does not get much easier than the Cleveland Browns. The Steelers have won 12 of the past 13 times they have played the Browns, 18 of the previous 20. Under normal circumstances, the Browns would be a dress rehearsal for Roethlisberger in preparation for the next three grueling games on the road at Miami, New Orleans and Cincinnati.
    Except for one thing. That one loss to the Browns in their past 13 meetings occurred in their most recent one, Dec. 10, on a bitter, cold, windy night in Cleveland. The Browns, 1-11 at the time, upset the Steelers, 13-6, to provide the final blow to their playoff hopes that had hemorrhaged during a five-game losing streak.

Thanks to that game (and other losses to some of the worst teams in the league such as Oakland and Kansas City in that five-game skid), the Steelers missed the playoffs. And, thanks to that game, they will look at their contest against the Browns a whole lot differently Sunday at Heinz Field.

"That was the fifth straight game we lost. That was like really the bottom of the barrel there," linebacker James Harrison said. "That was a big letdown. We hit the bottom. We didn't think we could get any lower, but we could have. That was like the lowest of the lowest point. All we could do was go up from there."

Somehow, the Steelers rebounded to win their final three games to finish 9-7, only to lose a tiebreaker to Baltimore, which earned a wild-card playoff spot. The memory of losing in Cleveland to punctuate that five-game nosedive, however, remains strong for many.

"It was pretty bad," Hines Ward said. "Losing to Cleveland is always depressing, not only for this city but the players, too.

"The weather was crazy. It was probably the worst weather game I ever played in."
    It was a game in which Steelers coach Mike Tomlin strongly had suggested he would make lineup changes after a four-game losing streak, although he made none. It also was the second game into Tomlin's threat for the Steelers to "unleash hell in December" only to lose their first two of the month, Oakland at home and then Cleveland.

Nothing was worse than that loss to the Browns, who entered with a seven-game losing streak and ranked last in the NFL on offense and defense.

It was so bad that Ward said right afterward, "To lose five straight coming off a Super Bowl from last year, it's embarrassing for me. It just hurts, it hurts a lot."

Those bitter memories, plus a rested, healthy football team playing in the mild October weather at home should provide all the incentive the Steelers might need to avoid another upset by the Browns.

"I think it was a big wake-up call," linebacker James Farrior said. "We all know we can't take any opponent lightly, but going through those games that we lost, it hit home and it really got the point across that no matter what team's out there, when you're out there to play on Sunday any team can beat you."

And did.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10284...#ixzz122Ds6akT
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 10-11-2010 at 03:59 AM.

The stains are a much better team than last year, they gave the Falcons a fit for most of the game. I don't think this will be a cake walk.

I hear all the talk about Ben being back bla bla bla, yes it'll help but expect some rust in his first game back...

My Mood
    colts-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    The stains are a much better team than last year, they gave the Falcons a fit for most of the game. I don't think this will be a cake walk.

I hear all the talk about Ben being back bla bla bla, yes it'll help but expect some rust in his first game back...
    They definitely are a much improved team I agree but there still will be no excuse what so ever to not win this game with 2 weeks off to prepare, with Ben back and being at home. This is a game the Steelers MUST have and if they somehow would lose this game could send them into a huge tailspin...I still dont see anyway the Browns win here though unless the Steelers completely beat themselves...

The Stains have been playing very competitive this year. It won't be a beating like we are used to with the Stains. They hung with Atlanta, the Ratbirds, and beat the Bungles. This should be a win, but it probably will be close. I think a big part of this game will be the health of Peyton Hillis and that thigh injury. We are very good against the run, but he and Cribbs are their best weapons.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

I haven't seen any updates on Seneca Wallace but if Delhomme is starting I think the defense gets a couple picks. Delhomme has zero confidence. I doubt they bring in McCoy and throw him to the wolves unless injuries say otherwise. Brownies seem more competitive but they are sorely lacking in the qb department.
    Hopefully Everest tells Reed to not kick it to Cribbs.
    Have Terrible Towel, Will Travel.

Quote Originally Posted by jnes1216 View Post
    I haven't seen any updates on Seneca Wallace but if Delhomme is starting I think the defense gets a couple picks. Delhomme has zero confidence. I doubt they bring in McCoy and throw him to the wolves unless injuries say otherwise. Brownies seem more competitive but they are sorely lacking in the qb department.
    Hopefully Everest tells Reed to not kick it to Cribbs.
    Cribbs and Hillis will have to win the game for them on offense, but lets not overlook their new and improved defense...We'll need the oline to block and give Ben time, I do however think Mendy can have a huge game if we run the ball!

The Browns have given all their opponents a game thus far. This is no gimme game. I've always said no matter how bad the other opponent is, rivalry games or division games will always be a tough game to win.

Browns have NO QB for this weekend:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

I just hope special teams does play special this week-end. Before Cribbs there was another player whose name I'm blocking on who ran back kick-offs against the Steelers.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Root4Stlrs View Post
    I just hope special teams does play special this week-end. Before Cribbs there was another player whose name I'm blocking on who ran back kick-offs against the Steelers.
    You're probably thinking of Eric Metcalf.
    He killed us back in the day.

Thread Information