Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Those missed field goals are on the coaches too!

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Those missed field goals are on the coaches too!

Ok, Yes Feed missed the FG's, 2 of them and that was the difference in this game. However, we were kicking into the wind and both FG's were over 45 yds. You don't do that in a close game at Heinz Field. You punt it away and pin them deep.

Blame Reed all you want, and rightfully so, but put it on the coaches too. Should never have attempted those.

Assistant Coach nuclearchihuahuas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Ok, Yes Feed missed the FG's, 2 of them and that was the difference in this game. However, we were kicking into the wind and both FG's were over 45 yds. You don't do that in a close game at Heinz Field. You punt it away and pin them deep.

Blame Reed all you want, and rightfully so, but put it on the coaches too. Should never have attempted those.
    AGreed! I am blaming them all!
    :logospin:

My Mood
    saints-hater
    I hear what youre saying BRC but Reed is paid to kick FGS it's his main job and he just didnt get it done today plain and simple. Let's not give the defense a free pass today either they gave up too many big pass plays and guys like Boldin and Houshzmanzadeh made a big difference today in the Ravens winning this game. It's too bad because the Steelers blew a huge chance today to go up 2 games on both the Bengals who look like they are going to lose to the Browns and the Ravens both and they failed to get the job done. Having a 2 game lead on both of those teams especially owning the tiebraker over the Ravens 4 games into the season being 4-0 would have been huge and the Steelers really blew a chance to cement their lead in this division.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Mehh. The 52 yarder I can somewhat see punting instead of going for the field goal, but a 45 yard field goal? You can't punt from the 30 yard line. Like 43 said, it's his job to make that field goal, and he should make it everytime.

I agree with babe and troy...you kick those...he had plenty of leg on the first one and over compensated on the second. This is the NFL...you kick a 45 yarder evrytime...unless it's a hurricane like Bens 1st game.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

I agree, Tomlin that 49 attempt was stupid and here's why:

Confidence for the rest of the game.

My Mood
    Addicted
    The whole game plan sucked today

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post
    I hear what youre saying BRC but Reed is paid to kick FGS it's his main job and he just didnt get it done today plain and simple. Let's not give the defense a free pass today either they gave up too many big pass plays and guys like Boldin and Houshzmanzadeh made a big difference today in the Ravens winning this game. It's too bad because the Steelers blew a huge chance today to go up 2 games on both the Bengals who look like they are going to lose to the Browns and the Ravens both and they failed to get the job done. Having a 2 game lead on both of those teams especially owning the tiebraker over the Ravens 4 games into the season being 4-0 would have been huge and the Steelers really blew a chance to cement their lead in this division.

Jeff had already missed 3 this year at home, IMO you don't put him in that position regardless of how it's going. With the wind in your face and knowing it's a tight game, you play field position and let the defense try and get a 3 and out so we get the ball back. If we were up by a lot of points then sure why not try it, but not in a close game, and then not again after he missed the first time.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Jeff had already missed 3 this year at home, IMO you don't put him in that position regardless of how it's going. With the wind in your face and knowing it's a tight game, you play field position and let the defense try and get a 3 and out so we get the ball back. If we were up by a lot of points then sure why not try it, but not in a close game, and then not again after he missed the first time.
    Makes sense, but you just can't punt from the 30 yard line. You just can't.

I think they have been allowing Reed to try FGs from further out than before. Tunch said in commentary some weeks ago that Reed has been working with coaches to get more distance in his kick-offs...maybe they think that cos of this it means that he can attempt longer Fgs as well...clearly not!!

Thread Information