Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ravens needed this game more and were more desperate...

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Clowns

The Ravens needed this game more and were more desperate...

I know a lot of people dont want to hear that but it's true. The Ravens knew and I said this early in the week in another thread that they could not afford to lose 2 division games in the first 4 weeks on the road to both the Bengals and the Steelers. I said this as well that had the Ravens lost and dropped to 2-2 and 1-2 in the division having lost already to the Bengals and the Steelers it would have been very very tough for them to make up that deficit as the season went on. It was essentially a 2 game swing for the Ravens on Sunday because had they lost they would have been 2 full games behind the Steelers and also losing the first head to head tiebraker, and instead a win puts them even with the Steelers at 3-1 and gives them first head to head tiebraker over the Steelers in the division.

This loss really hurts the Steelers more so seeing that the Bengals lost to the Browns and dropped to 2-2. Had the Steelers won they would have been 4-0 without Ben and would have been in total control of the AFC North I believe for the remainder of the season having a comfortable 2 game lead on both the Bengals and the Ravens 4 games into the season without having Ben yet to take a single snap. But it didnt work out that was unfortunately and now for the time being the Ravens have that first tiebraker in hand for now in the division and as long as they stay even with the Steelers record wise until they meet again in Baltimore on December 5th they will remain in first place. That's why this loss while there is still a ton of football left was so big. Because of this now to the Ravens the Steelers really cannot afford to drop another game in the division for pretty much of the rest of the season. The Ravens have already played 3 division games and are 2-1 in the North and still get to play both the Bengals and the Steelers in Baltimore. The Steelers still have 5 games left in the North and still have to go on the road to Cincy,Baltimore,and Cleveland.

It really now leaves the Steelers no margin for error to lose anymore games in the division because the Ravens already have beaten them once and own that tiebraker and are in good shape to own the division record tiebraker as long as they win the rest of their games. That's why yesterdays loss was so critical because the Steelers really blew a chance to control their own destiny in the AFC North for the remainder of the season. That's why I said Baltimore seemed more desperate and seem to play with more urgency and needed this game just a little bit more then the Steelers because they knew they had to even the Steelers up at 3-1 and not go down to 2-2 and have the Steelers be 4-0.

My Mood
    patriots-hater
    Your example is why the fans are so mad about this loss. I could have really changed the face of the division. Now Baltimore has an inside track to the division unless we win the 5 remaining division games.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by roosterray View Post
    Your example is why the fans are so mad about this loss. I could have really changed the face of the division. Now Baltimore has an inside track to the division unless we win the 5 remaining division games.
    They do have the inside track to win the division because of this win and like you said that is why it was such a huge game for the Ravens and a big loss for the Steelers. Had the Steelers been able to go up like I said 2 games each on Baltimore and Cincy without Ben they would have had total control of the AFC North the rest of the way. Now the Steelers because of this loss are going to need to keep winning games just to keep pace with the Ravens until they both meet again on December 5th. Now the Ravens still do have a lot of very tough games left and they are not going to win every single game they do play. Here is the Ravens schedule the rest of the way in comparison to the Steelers below and what I think could or could not happen in each game.

Ravens schedule...

Sun 10/10 Denver Broncos Denver 1:00 pm Tough game Ravens Probably win...
    Sun 10/17 New England Patriots at New England 1:00 pm Toss up Ravens lose I believe
    Sun 10/24 Buffalo Bills Buffalo 1:00 pm Ravens definitely win
    Bye
    Sun 11/7 Miami Dolphins Miami 1:00 pm Tough game again Ravens probably win...
    Thu 11/11 Atlanta Falcons at Atlanta 8:20 pm Toss up again Ill say Ravens lose
    Sun 11/21 Carolina Panthers at Carolina 1:00 pm Could be tough Ravens still win
    Sun 11/28 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tampa Bay 1:00 pm Ravens definitely win
    Sun 12/5 Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh 8:20 pm Enough said Steelers win rematch
    Mon 12/13 Houston Texans at Houston 8:30 pm Tough game could go either way
    Sun 12/19 New Orleans Saints New Orleans 1:00 pm Tough game could go either
    Sun 12/26 Cleveland Browns at Cleveland 1:00 pm Ravens most likely win
    Sun 1/2 Cincinnati Bengals Cincinnati 1:00 pm Tough game again Ravens win at home

Steelers Schedule

Sun 10/17 Cleveland Browns Cleveland 1:00 pm Steelers win
    Sun 10/24 Miami Dolphins at Miami 1:00 pm Tough game Steelers win
    Sun 10/31 New Orleans Saints at New Orleans 8:20 pm Close game Steelers lose
    Mon 11/8 Cincinnati Bengals at Cincinnati 8:30 pm Steelers win close game
    Sun 11/14 New England Patriots New England 8:20 pm Steelers win close game
    Sun 11/21 Oakland Raiders Oakland 1:00 pm Steelers win
    Sun 11/28 Buffalo Bills at Buffalo 1:00 pm Steelers win
    Sun 12/5 Baltimore Ravens at Baltimore 8:20 pm Steelers win rematch
    Sun 12/12 Cincinnati Bengals Cincinnati 1:00 pm Tough game Steelers win
    Sun 12/19 New York Jets NY Jets 4:15 pm Close game Steelers lose...
    Thu 12/23 Carolina Panthers Carolina 8:20 pm Steelers win
    Sun 1/2 Cleveland Browns at Cleveland 1:00 pm Steelers win

Based on what I said there I got the Steelers still at either 13-3 and 12-4 and the Ravens around 12-4 or 11-5. I still believe the Ravens have a tough schedule to finish up having to play the Steelers,Texans,Saints,and Bengals 4 out of their last 5 games. Plus, the Ravens have to play a Monday night game at Houston and then turn right back around 6 days later and play the Saints which is going to be very very tough. The Steelers tough road games are in Miami,New Orleans,Cincy,and Balt. Ravens have tough road games at New England,Houston,and Atlanta. It still will most likely come down to what happens in that rematch in Baltimore on December 5th because of what happened at Heinz Field yesterday...
    Last edited by Troyisabeast_43; 10-04-2010 at 04:28 PM.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Losing division games is huge and really the loss sucks since the Ravens have the insight track as of right now......I find interesting that teams havn't been able to throw all over the place on the Ravens ravaged secondary.......I think with the way the Broncos have been throwing the football that maybe a team finally abuses their secondary........

Of course if we had Ben then I'm sure Ben would have abused their secondary yesterday.......Batch was flat out awful........

My Mood
    Addicted
    Don't worry Joe Intercepto will mess up games like he usually do, and as long as we take care of business we will win this divison believe that...

Joe Intercepto

Quote Originally Posted by SIXBURGH View Post
    Don't worry Joe Intercepto will mess up games like he usually do, and as long as we take care of business we will win this divison believe that...

--- Added 10/4/2010 at 11:43 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I find interesting that teams havn't been able to throw all over the place on the Ravens ravaged secondary.......I think with the way the Broncos have been throwing the football that maybe a team finally abuses their secondary........

Of course if we had Ben then I'm sure Ben would have abused their secondary yesterday.......Batch was flat out awful........
    Yes, but think of the teams they've played, including us like you said: first game against Jets they didn't let Sanchez throw more than 5 yds downfield; Seneca Wallace and Browns; washed-up Carson Palmer (who probably had best chance of lighting them up).

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    There is no denying that the Ravens had their backs to the wall. Going down 2 games in the division before September was over would have been deadly to their playoff chances. As bad as they needed it, we still had a chance to win it and should have. Sooner or later playing backups at key positions will hurt you and in our case, Batch was just not good on Sunday.

The Steelers and Ravens are both happy to be 3-1 right now, although nobody picked us to be where we are right now even this early on. The key from here on out as it was stated already, do not lose any more divisional games and then realize and win the AFC battles because if it comes comes to a tie at the end between us and Baltimore we will need every advantage possible.

A million and one things can happen between now and then, but divisional wins are absolutely mandatory for the rest of the way.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    There is no denying that the Ravens had their backs to the wall. Going down 2 games in the division before September was over would have been deadly to their playoff chances. As bad as they needed it, we still had a chance to win it and should have. Sooner or later playing backups at key positions will hurt you and in our case, Batch was just not good on Sunday.

The Steelers and Ravens are both happy to be 3-1 right now, although nobody picked us to be where we are right now even this early on. The key from here on out as it was stated already, do not lose any more divisional games and then realize and win the AFC battles because if it comes comes to a tie at the end between us and Baltimore we will need every advantage possible.

A million and one things can happen between now and then, but divisional wins are absolutely mandatory for the rest of the way.
    That's exactly my point about now absolutely needing to win the 2 division games the Steelers play before they play the Ravens again on December 5th, and then winning the other 2 division games after the Baltimore game against the Bengals and Browns 2 out of the last 4 weeks of the season. If the Steelers can beat both the Browns and Bengals in the next month here and improve to 2-1 in the division overall and just go 3-2 I believe in the other games they have with the Dolphins,Saints,Patriots,Raiders,and Bills then they should be tied with the Ravens on December 5th with both teams being 2-1 in the division and 8-3 overall or maybe both 9-2. The Ravens do have tough games in this stretch as well they play Denver,at New England,Buffalo,Miami,at Atlanta,at Carolina and home to Tampa Bay before they play the Steelers again. I most definitely see them losing at least 2 out of those next 7 games they have before they play the Steelers again. So as long as the Steelers go 5-2 in their next 7 games with none of those losses coming against either the Browns or Bengals they will be at the very leas tied with the Ravens and have a chance to jump ahead of them with a win down there on December 5th...

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post
    That's exactly my point about now absolutely needing to win the 2 division games the Steelers play before they play the Ravens again on December 5th, and then winning the other 2 division games after the Baltimore game against the Bengals and Browns 2 out of the last 4 weeks of the season. If the Steelers can beat both the Browns and Bengals in the next month here and improve to 2-1 in the division overall and just go 3-2 I believe in the other games they have with the Dolphins,Saints,Patriots,Raiders,and Bills then they should be tied with the Ravens on December 5th with both teams being 2-1 in the division and 8-3 overall or maybe both 9-2. The Ravens do have tough games in this stretch as well they play Denver,at New England,Buffalo,Miami,at Atlanta,at Carolina and home to Tampa Bay before they play the Steelers again. I most definitely see them losing at least 2 out of those next 7 games they have before they play the Steelers again. So as long as the Steelers go 5-2 in their next 7 games with none of those losses coming against either the Browns or Bengals they will be at the very leas tied with the Ravens and have a chance to jump ahead of them with a win down there on December 5th...
    Man I love being spot on with my predictions back in October lol...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Jeebus 43, I was like WTF..we didn't lose this game! Took me a second to realize this was an old thread.

I don't think there's many on here that would dispute your knowledge when it comes to breaking down the schedule and playoff scenarios. I personally always enjoy them.

Thread Information