Thread: Steelers offense finally clicking

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steelers offense finally clicking

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06343/744819-66.stm

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It might be a little too late, but the Steelers' offense is beginning to reverse a pattern. Instead of piling up turnovers, they are piling up yards. Instead of giving the ball away, they are moving it up and down the field.

Time is running out on the Steelers' season, barring some frantic, unexpected finish in the final three weeks. But their offense finally hit its stride Thursday night in a 27-7 victory against the Cleveland Browns. On a night when the wind chill dropped the feel-like temperature to a Jeff Reed field goal, the offense warmed up and cut through the Browns like a hot knife through stick margarine.

Ben Roethlisberger started it with a perfect 49-yard touchdown strike into the wind to Nate Washington, orchestrating a passing game that produced 225 yards and no interceptions. In between, there were scoring drives of 97 and 91 yards. And Willie Parker finished it with a franchise-record 223 yards rushing that included six runs of 11 yards or longer.

When it was all over at Heinz Field, the Steelers had amassed a season-high 528 yards offense, their highest total since Ken Whisenhunt became their offensive coordinator in 2004

"We feel we have the confidence to come back like we did in the fourth quarter in Cleveland," Whisenhunt said, referring to the Steelers 24-20 victory Nov. 19 against the Browns. "But our style is to do what we did [Thursday] night."

What the Steelers did to the Browns would be any team's desired style. They passed for 225 yards, rushed for a season-high 303 yards and possessed the ball for 38 minutes, 47 seconds, also a season high.

That they did it on a poor field in a blustery wind only further illustrated the efficiency with which the offense gouged the Browns.

"It was tough out there, but I think our guys did a great job," said Roethlisberger, who did not throw an interception for the fourth time this season. "The receivers adjusted to the ball. The ball was moving a lot out there. For them to be able to focus and catch the ball like they did, I give them a lot of credit."
    Better late than never I guess...we're able to move the ball and play efficient on offense now lets try to keep it going the 3 games of the season and see what unfolds.

Wasn't this posted like 4 weeks ago?

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    Everytime we beat a pathetic rag-tag cellar dweller team, someone starts the crazy mans talk ...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Yeah probably, I guess the offense was clicking then, at the Atlanta game but went back into a slump so now the clicking is now clicked again

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Hey all I know Ben is playing good and is getting better. True the INT's have made is season look worse. But 7 were in his first 3 starts. Since then he has 15 TD's and 13 INT's. Plus each week Ben is getting more comfortable with Washington and Holmes. That will be a big key for next year. Plus Willie Parker has had a good year. Fast Willie should go the Pro Bowl. Now the Oline has been up and down all year. The Steelers still need to make some adjustments in the off-season with the Oline.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's going to be a very interesting last 3 weeks..even if we don't make it into the playoffs, we can do alot of damage to teams playoff hopes if we keep winning.

Carolina is faltering in the 2nd half of almost every game and Delhomme is hurt.
    Cincy & the Ratbirds, we could potentially deal the knock out blow to them and their playoff hopes if things go right. Baltimore we can keep them from getting to high in the standings and make them go on the road as much as possible. Who knows, it'll be interesting.

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    It's going to be a very interesting last 3 weeks..even if we don't make it into the playoffs, we can do alot of damage to teams playoff hopes if we keep winning.

Carolina is faltering in the 2nd half of almost every game and Delhomme is hurt.
    Cincy & the Ratbirds, we could potentially deal the knock out blow to them and their playoff hopes if things go right. Baltimore we can keep them from getting to high in the standings and make them go on the road as much as possible. Who knows, it'll be interesting.
    I was looking at the schedule this week and who all the 7-5 teams play this week.

KC has to play the Ravens.
    The Jags face the Colts.
    The Broncos play at San Diego
    The Jets have Buffalo
    The Bengals play the Raiders.

So I see at least 3 7-5 teams lossing this week. Cheifs, Jags and Chargers all could lose. The Bills will play the Jets tough. The Bengals seem to have a likely win against the Raiders. But any given Sunday a team can beat anybody.

I still think the play-offs are a long shot. The Steelers have to prove to me that can win on the road this year. Which their 1-5 record prove that they struggle on the road this year.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Indeed, with 2 of the 3 on the road, this is the proving ground now. We've shown over the last couple weeks that we can win at home and put some points up while getting back to our tough defense as well, but now on the road, is where the rubber meets the road and we have to show we're up to the challenge.

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Indeed, with 2 of the 3 on the road, this is the proving ground now. We've shown over the last couple weeks that we can win at home and put some points up while getting back to our tough defense as well, but now on the road, is where the rubber meets the road and we have to show we're up to the challenge.
    Top Gun I just want the Steelers to beat both the Ravens and Bengals. Even if the Steelers miss the play-off it would be nice to stick to the division rivals.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I agree, if we have to lose any of these I'd rather lose to the Panthers and do more damage to our AFCN rivals. I'd hate to say we got swept this year by any of them. Beating them would feel so good after the way this season has been.

Thread Information