Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Steelers Playoffs Scenario...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Clowns

Latest Steelers Playoffs Scenario...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_483030.html

Here is actually a link to it from the Tribune Review yesterday before the game we won with the Browns it explains it a lot better and shorter then I can here by writing it all out. As Ive been saying now fellas for 2-3 weeks now this Steelers team is not out of it and I said going into the Panthers game they would be in it based on the schedule for the Steelers and who the teams they needed to lose still have to play. It looks as if the team the Steelers are going to most have to worry about is the Jets. They have the easiest schedule out of the 5 teams the Steelers are chasing and they appear they are going to cause the most problems. But that still doesnt mean they cant lose those games. Keep in mind the Jets lost a game in Cleveland back in October so if they can lose down in Cleveland they are very capable of losing to Buffalo,at Minnesota,at Miami and to Oakland. And if they do finish 9-7 with the Steelers unlike Mike Prisuta says in the article here the Steelers would win the tiebraker based on common opponents because both would have the same conference record. The other 4 teams the Bengals,Broncos,Chiefs,and Jags have very very tough schedules. Things will become a lot clearer by Monday so Ill be back then after we see how things unfold on Sunday to give you the latest updates. Trust me though guys I been right now for 3 weeks the Steelers come Monday are going to be 1 game behind a lot of these teams for that wildcard playoff spot come Sunday night Monday morning. Dont give up guys the Steelers can still make the playoffs.

Without looking at the article yet... I know the Steelers need the Jets, Jacksonville, Chiefs and Broncos to start losing some games! The Steelers are 1.5 games out of the 6 spot right now and if those teams lose they will then gain that extra half game. In an ideal world these 4 teams will drop 3 of their next 4 and the Steelers win their remaining 3 then there are no questions about it

Now that I have looked at the article I didn't realize the Broncos have such a cake schedule scratch them from losing 3 of their next 4!

My Mood
    Clowns
    Keep in mind though AZ if Broncos,Chiefs,and Steelers all finish at 9-7 the Steelers would get in and win the tiebraker because they would first break the tie within the division there and since KC has a better division record then the Broncos they would win the head to head with them, and of course as we know the Steelers win the tiebraker over the Chiefs based on the head to head win over them. Its very possible for Denver to finish 9-7 with Jay Cutler at quarterback as well. The Jets present right now I think more of a problem then the Broncos based on their schedule and the chance of a better conference record. The Steelers really really need the Bills to beat the Jets in New York on Sunday. That is the key game to watch. I think the rest of the stuff that needs to happen will with Denver,KC,and the Jags all losing. A loss by the Jets to the Bills with their next 2 games on the road at Minnesota and Miami would be absolutely huge.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The main thing we need to do is, win everyone of the games on our schedule. If we don't do that we can kiss any faint flickering playoff hopes goodbye. Every one of our last games is winnable but we have got to keep whatever momentum we have going strong. 2 of the final 3 are on the road and we've been terrible on the road so far so we have got to step it up big time !

My Mood
    Clowns
    Yeah, I know it's a long shot but so was being the 6th seed. Assuming we win outright and finish 9-7 . . .

CINCINNATI (7-5) vs. Oakland, @ Indy (Mon), @ Denver, vs. STEELERS *Maybe they beat Oakland and lose the final three and finish 8-8 at which point we get the wild card over them. An Oakland victory this Sunday would be ENORMOUS!!!!! If they beat Oakland, it would make it VERY difficult for us to get past both the Bengals AND the Broncos as they play each other in week 16.

NY JETS (7-5) vs. Buffalo, @ Minnesota, @ Miami, vs. Oakland *Maybe they split the remaining games and go 9-7. Tie-breaker? We lose tie-breaker with them if they win 2 of their final 3 AFC games. The Jets MUST finish 1-3. C'mon! It's the Jets for crying out loud. We shouldn't even be talking about them. It's so frustrating since we're such a better team. A loss this Sunday to Buffalo would be very nice leading into two road games!

JACKSONVILLE (7-5) vs. Indy, @ Tennessee, vs. New England, @ Kansas City *They could lose all four of these games! They MUST go 1-3 and no better as we lose the head-to-head tiebreaker with them. This is a team on a major decline andyou can pretty much bank on them losing the Indy and New England games. Fortunately, the other two are on the road and losable (the Titans seem to be coming on a bit)

KANSAS CITY (7-5) vs. Baltimore, @ San Diego, @ Oakland, vs. Jacksonville *Hate to do it, but we've all gotta be BIG Ratbird fans this weekend! A loss the following week at San Diego means that if they lose those two games then, even if they win the remaining two (and we do hope they beat Jacksonville) our 9-7 will take them since we own the head-to-head tiebreaker.

DENVER (7-5) @ San Diego, @ Arizona, vs. Cincinnati, vs. San Francisco *With Jay Cutler at quarterback, they could easily lose the next two road games at San Diego and Arizona. Unfortunately, the've got that 49er game lurking to finish the season so who do you pull for in the Bengals game? Bengals will probably be 8-6 going into it and Denver either 8-6 or 7-7. To get past Denver, we would probably need San Francisco to beat Denver in Denver on the final game of the season.

**Our playoffs have begun. A loss and we're done. The hardest part of this whole scenario is us winning at Carolina, vs. Baltimore and then at Cincy. Carolina is fighting for their playoff lives, Baltimore is fighting for a high playoff seed and Cincy would love nothing more than to knock us out of the playoffs on the final game of the season. That loss to the Raiders is absolutely killing us right now!!!!!

The Steelers played great last night. We can get on a roll with that win and take out the Panthers. The latest on Jake Delhomme is that he has a torn ligament in his throwing thumb. All the reports in Charlotte right now are vague. I don't know but Winkie might be the starter. That QB change could be the final straw for the Panthers. They are having some bad games and bad luck.

If we play the Ravens and Bengals like we played the Browns last night, I think we can beat BOTH of them!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah, i'm not making any playoff reservations, but i can't see carolina beating us with weinke at the helm which would even us up at 7-7 and i not only think there is a chance of some losses by the teams in front of us this weekend, but i fully expect the following to be 7-6 after sunday: Jacksonville, Kansas City and Denver (and they all have road games the following week against Tenessee, San Diego and Arizona, respectively). a buffalo win over the Jets would be HUGE! unfortunately, i have no faith in oakland getting past cincy but stranger things have happened . . .

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Our playoffs began a month ago, we're just lucky to be in the position we are right now with a flicker of hope to get in after what's transpired and the whole we've dug ourselves. The last couple weeks have helped us out alot.

If it was ever do or die, its now !

SA First Blitzburgh Blitzburgh55's Avatar
    All we had to do was beat the raiders and we are right in it

SA's #1 James Farrior Fan PITT23's Avatar
    Basically all of the teams in front of us (minus the Jets) all play eachother so that'll cancel them out.
    :: Whoa, where the hell was I for 2 years?::

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Just think about all the games we "should" have won this year that would put us right in the middle of the hunt..

We should have beaten the Bengals the first time, we gave that game away.
    We should have beaten the Raiders, we held them to under 100 yds total offense, but turnovers gave them the game.
    We should have beaten the Jags, we lost 9-0, all we need was the smallest bit of offense to win that game.

If we would have just won those 3 games we'd be leading the division right now and sitting pretty for January ! How depressing to think of what could have been.

Thread Information