Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An interesting September stat for the Steelers...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydfan4life View Post
    I still have the lingering effects of last years games vs. oakland, KC & cleveland swirling around in the back of my head..... This team has started off great this year, but IMO this week's 'should win' game will say alot to me. Let's hope this stat doesn't hold true this week.

Agreed, I was really hoping that whole "play down to the competition" mentality would have left when Cowher did but low and behold during his first few years with us, the Tomlin teams still do it. Last year was the worst ever though.

This team needs to take it to Tampa Bay right from the get go, step on their throats, and rip their hearts out. Take no prisoners. If we let them hang around it's a recipe for disaster.

My Mood
    texans-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    The Steelers win Sunday 17-3......I just don't see this defense allowing the Bucs to generate that much offense to be a threat......I have a feeling the Panthers knock off the Bengals.....Just a hunch on my part.......I know Clausen is making his first NFL start but the Panthers running game has been quiet so far.......I think Williams and Stewart go off this week.......

--- Added 9/23/2010 at 09:57 PM ---

But the defense was without Troy and Aaron during that stretch.....The special teams were not very special either......The defense has a healthy Troy and Aaron.....Timmons is playing out of this mind and really stepped up his game....Harrison and Woodley really are unblockable right now....McFadden is an upgrade over Willie Gay......

Not to mention the special teams have been better with a TD of their own and havn't gave up any TD's.......knock on wood.....
    Im with you I think the Panthers are going to knock off the Bengals as well in Charlotte. A Steelers win on Sunday in Tampa combined with a Bengals loss and then a win over the Ravens next week at Heinz Field would give the Steelers not only a 4-0 record but also a two game lead over both the Bengals and Ravens with already having the tiebraker over the Ravens. To do all of this without Ben in the lineup and knowing you are going to be getting him back and playing the Browns the first game when he is back would put the Steelers in absolutely awesome shape to control the AFC North for the rest of the season...

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeEyes43 View Post
    I guarantee you that if we had Troy vs the Bears we would've won that game and broken the streak then. Reed missing two FGs and Carter getting picked on is what killed us vs the Bears.
    didnt ben throw an int or two in the redzone and endzone also in chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    But the defense was without Troy and Aaron during that stretch.....The special teams were not very special either......The defense has a healthy Troy and Aaron.....Timmons is playing out of this mind and really stepped up his game....Harrison and Woodley really are unblockable right now....McFadden is an upgrade over Willie Gay......

Not to mention the special teams have been better with a TD of their own and havn't gave up any TD's.......knock on wood.....
    Point well taken, but this year so far we're missing key players on the offensive side of the ball just like we were last year on the defensive side when these 'easy' games came along.

I agree with you 100% that the defense has stepped up and is playing lights out so far. Hopefully it continues this week and we "step on their throats, and rip their hearts out" like BRC spoke of.

I just hope the players realize this has all the makings of a trap game and they're not like some fans and looking past this game to next week's match-up vs. the ratbirds.

"Here's an idea! Don't worry about sports and run the ****ing country!!!" - PsychoWard to Obama

Another interesting stat:

"Eight teams (the Miami Dolphins, Pittsburgh Steelers, Houston Texans, Kansas City Chiefs, Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints and Tampa Bay Buccaneers) are all 2-0. At least one 2-0 team has reached the Super Bowl dating back to the 1988 season"

My Mood
    texans-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by igor0190 View Post
    Another interesting stat:

"Eight teams (the Miami Dolphins, Pittsburgh Steelers, Houston Texans, Kansas City Chiefs, Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints and Tampa Bay Buccaneers) are all 2-0. At least one 2-0 team has reached the Super Bowl dating back to the 1988 season"
    I would pretty much eliminate the Chiefs,Bucs,and Bears from that list seeing that I dont think any one of those 3 teams have a legit chance of making it to the Super Bowl. The Steelers,Miami,Houston,Saints,and Packers who are the other 5 2-0 teams do have a legit chance of making it to the Super Bowl because all 5 of these teams seem to be pretty close to being complete football teams...Wonder what the stat for teams that start 3-0 is for making the Super Bowl wonder if anybody can find that stat out??

Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post
    I would pretty much eliminate the Chiefs,Bucs,and Bears from that list seeing that I dont think any one of those 3 teams have a legit chance of making it to the Super Bowl. The Steelers,Miami,Houston,Saints,and Packers who are the other 5 2-0 teams do have a legit chance of making it to the Super Bowl because all 5 of these teams seem to be pretty close to being complete football teams...Wonder what the stat for teams that start 3-0 is for making the Super Bowl wonder if anybody can find that stat out??
    I heard today that teams who start 0-3 have a 3% (or some very low single digit number) chance of making playoffs and teams who start 3-0 have a 75% chance of making them. They didn't give any SB stats. We don't want to just get to playoffs - we want number 7.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Past history is just that...IN THE PAST!

As long as the team doesn't have an emotional let down, and don't look ahead to the Ravens game, they win this game with the Bucs.

Tomlin's big job this week is to not let them look past the Bucs this week.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Assistant Coach nuclearchihuahuas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Past history is just that...IN THE PAST!

As long as the team doesn't have an emotional let down, and don't look ahead to the Ravens game, they win this game with the Bucs.

Tomlin's big job this week is to not let them look past the Bucs this week.
    Exactly! This is why I thought this might be a "trap" game for the team. I hope Tomlin is totally on his game and not letting anyone look past this team. They are better than we have been giving them credit for...I realize they haven't played anyone of consequence yet, but their offense is getting it together and their defense is right behind our in stats. I hope our secondary can handle it and I hope our offense survives...if the Steelers have to go 3-1 I would rather we beat the Ratbirds next week...more important game; but 3-0 sure would be nice!
    :logospin:

Thread Information