Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can the Steelers REALLY beat Baltimore in week 4?

Bookmark and Share
    Rookie Free Agent

Can the Steelers REALLY beat Baltimore in week 4?

So, I've been seeing a lot of statements like "If we just go 3-1 until Ben comes back" a lot since the start of the season, with the presumption that that 1 loss will be against Baltimore.

But I started thinking, "Well, the Jets & Bengals held the Ravens to 10 points." And I'll give credit to them (which is very hard to do, especially with the Bungals), the Jets & Bengals have top-10 defenses. But this Steeler defense (as of right now) is in a league of its own. This D made Matt Ryan & Michael Turner look mediocre in week 1 (when Atlanta scored 41 points in week 2), shut down Chris Johnson when he had (I think) 12 straight games with 100+ yards rushing, and made Titans coach Jeff Fisher bench Vince Young for Kerry Collins, who was washed up before Vince was even considered for a Heisman trophy at Texas! (and to keep things in perspective, Tennessee scored 38 points in week 1 - yes, it was against the Raiders but that's still a lot)

If you really think about it, just how much better is Baltimore's offense than Atlanta's or Tennessee's? Baltimore's scored 20 points in 2 games& they have all the weapons you can think of. Why can't this trend continue when they play Pittsburgh? If Cincinnati can hold Baltimore to 10 points, then Pittsburgh should give up less, because there's no way Cincy's D is any better than Pittsburgh's.

Now, I know what you're probably thinking - "Our offense blows right now." Well... yeah. I won't dispute that. I know there's both Batch haters & Byron haters, and sure I'll admit both are limited, but they don't make many mistakes either. We don't need them to win games for us - that's what our D is for.

If Pittsburgh's defense gives up, at most, 13 points against Baltimore, then our offense, as limited as it is, I think can at least muster up 14 points (heck, we scored 15 & 19 points so far in weeks 1 & 2). It doesn't sound pretty, but I'll take an ugly win over a beautiful loss.

So, am I right on the money or a nutcase?

Author's note: Yes, I'm perfectly aware that Pittsburgh plays Tampa Bay next week. Quite frankly, Tampa Bay sucks. IMO this is a glorified preseason game. I don't care if they're 2-0, they beat scrubs. ... ... ... And don't chastise me for looking past the Bucs, either! If the Steelers lose, then you can give me all the hell you want. But I really doubt they will. So do me a favor and lets just say they hypothetically beat Tampa Bay.

We need to score on their very good defense...That's the diffrence!

There's no guarantee we'll win this week, so 1 week at a time bud!
    Last edited by LatrobePA; 09-23-2010 at 11:04 AM.

My Mood
    Chatty
    Why not..Cincy did....

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

Rookie Free Agent

:/

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    There's no guarantee we'll win this week, so 1 week at a time bud!

Quote Originally Posted by 92_is_gonna_kill_you View Post
    So do me a favor and lets just say they hypothetically beat Tampa Bay.

Assistant Coach nuclearchihuahuas's Avatar
    I think its possible. Cincy won on nothing but FGs and that does seem to be our specialty this month. So, I say we run a 'blue light special' on FGs and get at least 6 of them in the game--should be enough to win...of course if the defense wants to strip the ball and score a defensinve TD or a safety or two, I certainly would not complain!
    :logospin:

If we get down early, can we catch up

I never really take what the bleacher report say's for granted but one of the articles did bring up an important point.
    Keys to the Upset

" If Tampa Bay can take an early lead and make the Steelers have to pass to come back. Then this game gets interesting.

SHOCKER METER

Five. Because it will be close. I want to pick the young Buccaneers, but Pittsburgh has been playing the three yards and a cloud of dust game for much longer."

If our d does have a bad game against freeman and the bucs, with batch behind center would we be able to catch back up, i know we resigned lefty, but that doesn't really comfort me either.

--- Added 9/23/2010 at 10:05 AM ---

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...-coming#page/3

Quote Originally Posted by xxxsteelernation View Post

If our d does have a bad game against freeman and the bucs, with batch behind center would we be able to catch back up...
    --- Added 9/23/2010 at 10:05 AM ---

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...-coming#page/3
    NO! Not with Batch, more than 10 points... i say NO! We need to score first here IMO!

Awaiting Seven...
    If the Steelers fall behind by more than 10, I think they could come from behind. It would be difficult though. Mendenhall would have to have a great game and the defense would have to force turnovers, to give Batch a shortened field.
    Last edited by Sir Blitzelot; 09-23-2010 at 12:43 PM.

Rookie Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcitysfinestXL View Post
    NO! Not with Batch, more than 10 points... i say NO! We need to score first here IMO!
    Agreed. This is a situation where we need to strike first blood, then have control of the clock the rest of the game. We need to win the time of possession battle.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Of course it's possible, it's not like we never beat them. Im worried about getting past the Bucs right now. We'll deal with the Ratbirds when the time comes. It will be as ugly a contest as it ever was. Bodies will be flying around, injuries will be happening left and right, the big hits will be non stop.

All we have to do is continue to play defense and ST like we have been and just hope that our offense can score a couple TD's. Plus we don't know who will be the QB, Tomlin has only said Batch is the guy for this week.

Thread Information