Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Batch to start Sunday at Tampa Bay: Jim Wexell's Blog

Bookmark and Share

Batch to start Sunday at Tampa Bay: Jim Wexell's Blog

WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 22

3:45 p.m.:Mike Tomlin confirmed after practice today that Charlie Batch will start at quarterback for the Steelers Sunday at Tampa Bay.

Batch, 35, has 50 career starts, but none since the final game of the 2007 season when he started at Baltimore and completed 16 of 31 passes for 218 yards, 2 touchdowns, 2 interceptions and a passer rating of 69.0 in a 27-21 loss.

In relief of Dennis Dixon last week, Batch completed 5 of 11 for 25 yards and a

I have to say im not crazy about this what-so-ever! Do i think Chuck will lose the game for us? I doubt it, but i think Leftwhich gives us the best chance to win. Chuck is gonna have to stretch the field early to try and loosen that Defense and give Mende some running room. Im not sure he has those throws left in him.

What i do like about Chuck is his vet knowledge. He can read blitzes, change protections and knows how to beat the blitz and does it well. Hopefully the line can give him time!

ugh....gonna lose to tampa, ****ing goodell lol

i think he will easily lose the game by holding them back on offense. they are just gonna stack the box and explode after him, theres no threat of him running and they will take away mendenhall. its gonna be a tough one to watch, the defense could play lights out again....the last time batch was serviceable was 2006, he was old back then

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcitysfinestXL View Post
    WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 22

3:45 p.m.:Mike Tomlin confirmed after practice today that Charlie Batch will start at quarterback for the Steelers Sunday at Tampa Bay.

Batch, 35, has 50 career starts, but none since the final game of the 2007 season when he started at Baltimore and completed 16 of 31 passes for 218 yards, 2 touchdowns, 2 interceptions and a passer rating of 69.0 in a 27-21 loss.

In relief of Dennis Dixon last week, Batch completed 5 of 11 for 25 yards and a

I have to say im not crazy about this what-so-ever! Do i think Chuck will lose the game for us? I doubt it, but i think Leftwhich gives us the best chance to win. Chuck is gonna have to stretch the field early to try and loosen that Defense and give Mende some running room. Im not sure he has those throws left in him.

What i do like about Chuck is his vet knowledge. He can read blitzes, change protections and knows how to beat the blitz and does it well. Hopefully the line can give him time!
    More importantly it means that Batch is going to be the starting QB most likely for the game against the Ravens as well here next Sunday which in my opinion is a huge huge game. Im with you that Leftwich does give the Steelers the best chance to get the passing game going, but hopefully after a full week of practice and reps with the first team Batch will be more prepared this week and the Steelers can start throwing the football more then they have been.

batch showed he clearly cant even make half the throws anymore....if we thought the playbook was limited with dixon, were in for an ugly show with batch.

i cant believe were probably gonna lose to the bucs....just another **** team just like last year, i cant stand this move of starting batch, if leftwich wasnt ready to go they should have brought in someone who could

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I don't think it means that Charlie will be the guy for the Baltimore game. Tomlin has taken a week to week stance on the starting job since the season started. I think this means that Leftwich needs another week to heal, and then after the Tampa game he will decide who will play QB for the Ravens game. If Byron was going to be out longer, they would have brought in another body by now IMO. Charlie starts this week, Byron is the backup, and then El is the emergency QB.

After that he'll reevaluate and go from there.

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    I'm all for it and think it would be crazy to put BL in there until he is over 100% again. Charlie can manage the game for us. I know we won't see the offense we want, but we wouldn't anyway until Ben gets back and going. Good move.

I'm saying we probably drop this game on Sunday, if we fall behind early I can't see Tomlin grinding it out like in Tennessee and risking more injuries. Next week is the most important game and whether Batch, Leftwich or f*cking Randle El start at QB, we need to be healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by ejsteeler View Post
    I'm all for it and think it would be crazy to put BL in there until he is over 100% again. Charlie can manage the game for us. I know we won't see the offense we want, but we wouldn't anyway until Ben gets back and going. Good move.
    why would it be crazy? ben come back in 2 weeks, they need to win now, you cant save a backup QB for the future. if leftwich can play he really needs to.

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    ugh....gonna lose to tampa, ****ing goodell lol

i think he will easily lose the game by holding them back on offense. they are just gonna stack the box and explode after him, theres no threat of him running and they will take away mendenhall. its gonna be a tough one to watch, the defense could play lights out again....the last time batch was serviceable was 2006, he was old back then
    F*** I HOPE NOT! Charlie is the KING of the checkdown for a reason. He throws lolli-pops out there. Not even good ones like Blow-Pop or Tootsie Pops, MF'ers out there throwing Dum-Dums! He's accurate ill give him that, and he rarely makes dumb throws... But like you said and i have been saying since TC: There is a reason Charlie was #4 on the depth chart. There is ZERO verticle threat to his game. So they are just gonna stuff everyone in the box and try to force Batch to throw deep, which i highly doubt he can.

If the D plays like it has been, then Charlie will just need to avoid turnovers. He can get us into field goal postion, he just might not throw many (if any) Td's. The running game is gonna need to step up this week as well.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

Thread Information