My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Defnese will control teams fate

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10257/1087386-66.stm

On the Steelers: Defense controls team fate
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Matt Freed/Post-Gazette
    Linebacker James Harrison and the Steelers defense limited kicker Matt Bryan and the Falcons to three field goals Sunday.

Three more games like that from the Steelers' defense and the welcome home party for Ben Roethlisberger Oct. 4 could be a meaningful one.
    As it was, the Steelers' defense slammed Atlanta's ground game, holding the Falcons to 58 yards, muzzled quarterback Matt Ryan with a 67.6 passer rating, kept them out of the end zone, presented the game to the offense on a platter with an interception late in the fourth quarter, and still needed overtime to win.
    That may be just how it goes for the Steelers the first month of the season. If they are to win any more games before Roethlisberger's return at quarterback for the fifth game, their defense will have to duplicate what it did in the opener Sunday at Heinz Field.
    "That's something we want to do every week," said linebacker James Farrior, who played as if he were 30 again. "It's not just because Ben is out. We know the circumstances right now, we know we need to help our offense out more than usual, but we definitely want to play that way no matter what. It doesn't matter what the circumstances are."
    Those change this week to a higher amp. The Steelers and young quarterback Dennis Dixon not only must play in the din that is the Nashville sound at the Tennessee Titans home stadium, but they also must contain the freight train that is running back Chris Johnson and his 12 consecutive 100-yard games rushing.
    The Steelers did a good job against a good back Sunday, holding Atlanta's Michael Turner to 42 yards on 19 carries and the Falcons to 58 yards rushing overall and a 2.3-yard average. Chris Johnson is not a good back, he's a great back. He became only the sixth NFL runner to top 2,000 yards rushing last season and he began his 2010 quest with 142 yards Sunday against Oakland.
    He is the next assignment for a defense that has allowed one 100-yard rusher since late in the 2007 season. And his name is not Chris Johnson. Baltimore's Ray Rice did the trick Dec. 27 in Heinz Field, rushing for 141 yards on 30 carries, and to go against all convention, the Steelers withstood that to beat the Ravens, 23-20.
    On the other hand, Johnson is 0 for 2 against the Steelers. He ran 16 times for 69 yards as a rookie in the Titans' 31-14 victory in 2008 at Tennessee. And he ran 15 times for 57 yards last season in the opener at Heinz Field, won by the Steelers in overtime, 13-10.
    The Steelers also must contend with quarterback Vince Young, who can match Dennis Dixon's versatility and mobility. They will be forced to take a different approach in their pass rush against Young than they did the pocket passer Matt Ryan in the opener.
    "I feel like this is the kind of game we need to play every week, whether Dennis is in or Ben is back in," linebacker James Harrison said. "We need to come out there and keep teams from scoring touchdowns and hope to stop them from scoring any points. We held them to three field goals and that was enough to get job done."
    Barely enough, but enough.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10257...#ixzz0zf4ePZco

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Stopping the Titans running game is a lot harder than stopping the Falcons. Chris Johnson is just a flat out burner who turns the corner and takes off before you can blink. If they don't corral him we're done. The key is like always, stuff the middle and force him to take a different angle and bounce it outside where in theory the pursuit can be there waiting to stretch it out and corral him between them and the sidelines. Tackles have to be right on the money the first time, there is no second chances with him. Either you wrap him up or he's gone.

I like our secondary right now as much as anybody's in the league. They are showing a lot of improvement and seemingly headed in the right direction. If they stay healthy and we continue to see Gay play solid in the nickel, they could be something special. That's a ways down the road yet thought, they just need to play sound and tackle well, stick their man like glue and not blow any coverages.

Basically if you stop Chris Johnson, you stop the Titans offense. I like our chances if Vince Young has to beat with his arm.

The titans played a pre season game last week. oakland was not organized.

Our D will make them reavaluate their SB party plans.

---------------

Former Steeler Hope Thriving in Tennessee
    By Craig Peters, Titans Online

Safety Chris Hope has been making big plays on the field for the Titans ever since his arrival as an unrestricted free agent from Pittsburgh in 2006.
    NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Safety Chris Hope, who played his first four NFL seasons in Pittsburgh, said rivalry will trump reunion when the Titans play host to his former team Sunday at LP Field.

The nine-year veteran said “it’s a lot of excitement, a lot of anxiety,” every time friends like Hines Ward and Troy Polamalu become foes.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I remember wishing we would have kept Chris Hope, he and Troy worked well together. We've done pretty ok since though..lol. This one is a rivalry that goes all the way back to the Houston Oiler days, so yeah there's bad blood. We've played in some pretty big games with them over the years and it's just fueled the animosity with each passing year. I would love nothing more than to go into their house and stick it to them!

Winning by playing defense and running the ball, I would not have it any other way!!!

GO STEELERS!!!!

VY has never faced our Steelers D, same as Matty Ice, how'd that work out for Ryan?

Our D will be T'ing off all day, CJ will have a few, but not enough!

With a return of BL DD will have more options with his legs this week.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Thread Information