Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I Believe Batch Will Start

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxsteelernation View Post
    That is bull and you know it the OL was not blocking, everyone was getting popped in the backfield, were not running right routes. I'm not sayin dixon did not do anything wrong but the supporting cast was not there either. That game was terrible from beginning to end.
    What's new? The OL doesn't block for Ben and it doesn't block for Leftwich.

DD just played terrible. Bottom line.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    Charlie batch will start week 1. It has nothing to do with the QB but more with the coaching staff.

Tomlin all but named Lefty the starter without giving Dixon an honest chance, if you compare QB's Leftwich and Batch are are basically the same guy.

Both are immobile, Batch knows the play book inside out, Lefty has the stronger arm.

Dixon can't read a defense to save his life has very little understanding of our offense. If his first option isn't open he has no other choice but to run.

I won't bet the house on it but I have a feeling Mikey goes with Charlie. By the way Batch took two vicious shots the other night and got back to the huddle in fine shape.

DIXON WILL START. And what's with everyone saying 2-2 at best??? We play ATL who's been struggling(plus it's the home opener), Tennessee who only has one threat IMO, and Tampa who is Tampa. I see 2-2 at worst, because I believe we can also beat Baltimore, even without Ben

If Batch starts TC was a waste of time. At no point was Batch ever mentioned as potential starter.Could he start,yes it's possible. He would probably do all right, he is basically a QB coach in a uniform for the other guys. He is a experienced veteran who will serve in a pinch,but there are not many 16 year vets playing starting QB

All training camp it was Lefty or Dixon being mentioned as probable starters,and they were the ones splitting the reps in practice. If Batch is the starter then why is Dixon on this team?

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

I hope Emmanuel and Brown are on the field often if Dixon is out there. It seems like those two have a good connection with him. DD has thrown their way a plethora of times in the preseason and we're going to need their speed as teams are going to stack the box. Those two have to be the hot routes on blitzes. Ward can't get open quick enough and neither can Randle El.

Quote Originally Posted by jpele View Post

Dixon can't read a defense to save his life has very little understanding of our offense. If his first option isn't open he has no other choice but to run.

the other defenses seem to read our plays almost like music. why cant dixon understand?

i dont see the complexity of our plays. do you watch the packers, colts, pats, saints, giants, miami even. thats a bit more to read...

any way.. get the first down... thats the goal 10 yards. dixon thinks like that.. so run 50 yards a game.. thats 5 first downs..

Oh Well... Dixon is just no good i guess

Report: Veteran QB Batch 'likely' starter against FalconsNFL.com Wire Reports
    Published: Sept. 4, 2010 at 09:39 a.m. Updated: Sept. 4, 2010 at 10:25 a.m. Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch will likely start the team's season opener Sept. 12 at home against the Atlanta Falcons, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

With Byron Leftwich out two to four weeks with a sprained MCL in his left knee, and Pro Bowler Ben Roethlisberger serving his four-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal-conduct policy, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is leaning toward starting the veteran Batch and using third-year backup quarterback Dennis Dixon in specific game situations.

"You look back, we had three solid guys who were able to go in, step in, if needed," Batch told the Post-Gazette. "Now we're down to two. Over the weekend, they'll determine what's going to happen. Either way, I'll be ready to go.

"I feel good, I really do. Did the reps at training camp happen? No, but we're not in training camp anymore. Right now we're getting ready for Atlanta and we have the weekend and another seven days to get ready for them. At that point, whatever happens, happens. But either way, over this weekend, we'll start the preparation of getting the game plan together. I'll be ready to go either way."

After the Steelers learned the nature of Leftwich's injury, Dixon was taken out of Thursday night's preseason finale against the Carolina Panthers after throwing one pass for a touchdown -- a strong indication, at the time, that he was being protected for the opener. Batch played the final 2½ quarters, throwing just four passes.

If Dixon is called on in Batch's place, his recent on-field experience will help. He saw more preseason playing time with the starters than any quarterback except Roethlisberger.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai
    "Of course, I'll be excited if it does come my way," Dixon told the Post-Gazette. "At the same time, I'm even keel. I never get too high or never get too low."

Batch, a Steelers backup since 2002, owns an extensive knowledge of the playbook and played well while Roethlisberger was injured in 2005 and 2006, going 3-0 as a starter.

However, Batch has thrown just two passes since the final game of the 2007 season. He missed the 2008 season with a broken collarbone that occurred in the first preseason game, then went down with a wrist injury shortly after entering the only game he played last season.

Dixon has started one NFL game, throwing for a touchdown and running for another during a 20-17 overtime loss at Baltimore last season. The former University of Oregon star's running ability gives Pittsburgh's offense an extra dimension, but Tomlin said Dixon still must learn when to stay with a play and when to take off running.

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    I hate it when I'm right.

Batch is clearly more seasoned and fundimentally stronger than Dixon when it comes to knowing the playbook and reading defenses.

If you stop and think about it, the only thing Charlie isn't ... is more athletic than Dixon.
    "The most interesting man on SA ... stay thirsty my friends"

My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    both are so limited with the playbook....they HAVE to go with dixons upside, theres no justifying batch at all
    BAtch know the playbook better than Ben. Tomlin is worried about Batch being fragile. I good worry to have. However, Starting Batch in the first game will take the pressure off Dixon. Bring Dixon in and if he gets on a roll,let him roll.

I want to see what the kid has and nows the time.
    I would also like the Steelers to Pick up Matt Leinart if he's released or even make a trade for him as insurance(adjusting that contract of course). They can send Hartwig & Bailey to the Cardinals. What do you all think?

I can see it now, load the box force the pass and T off all day...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Thread Information