Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting Pittsburgh in December

Bookmark and Share

Visiting Pittsburgh in December

Hello,

Feel free to move this post to the appropriate forum...

I will be coming to Pittsburgh for the first time to see the Dec 19th game VS the NY Jets. I have a few questions...
    -How much is a taxi from the airport to downtown?
    -What is a good place to stay within walking distance of downtown? (anything for about $100/night? What areas should I look in)
    -I know December isnt the greatest time to come... But what is there to do? Other than see the Steelers on Sunday and Penguins, Monday Dec 20 VS Pheonix. Hall of Fame maybe?

Thanks for any input!

My Mood
    Addicted
    I have family there so we dont usually stay in hotels, but we did one time and it was a nice little hotel in Pitt that wasn't too expensive. I don't remember what it was called but there were a lot around there if you wanna just look up hotels in the Pitt campus or something..

Make sure you visit Station Square. (just across the river from the stadium)

Station Square Link

As far as a hotel... I believe you'll be really hard pressed to find one this late that's within walking distance at that price.

"Here's an idea! Don't worry about sports and run the ****ing country!!!" - PsychoWard to Obama

Last I knew cab fare was about 40 dollars, finding hotel with in walking distance aint gonna happen at that price...

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

You may be better off staying outside the city and renting a small economy car to travel around. You will get to see more of the city and not have to keep paying cab fair. Hotels outside the city would also be less expensive. For example you couldn't really walk from the Northside to Oakland then over to the Southside and get to see everything. Cabs would be too expensive. I recommend eating at Primanti's in the Strip District and shopping in the Strip for cheap Steelers t-shirts etc. Bleeder and I come from the South hills area about 15 minutes from the City. You could stay in a nice hotel out there on the cheap and drive a small rental into town. There are a few nice ones in the West Mifflin area near the Alleghany County airport. Have fun in the Burgh and enjoy the game!

We travel to Pittsburgh for almost all home games and usually stay with friends but have stayed within walking distance of Heinz Field/downtown. You won't find anything around $100, especially when the Steelers are playing. The two places we have stayed include The Priory http://www.thepriory.com/ It's in an old church and is very nice but you'd be paying between $150 - $175 a night, I would imagine. Parking is free as I recall. It's within easy walking distance of Heinz Field and all the nightspots around there and PNC Park. The other place we have stayed is the Hilton (or the former Hilton) because that's where the Steelers stay and you can walk to stadium in five minutes. It's also going to be expensive (they up their rates during Steeler home games and parking is expensive) and staying there is something we do just to treat ourselves (mainly me). Also I understand they're going through a lot of turmoil now and Hilton has pulled the franchise. But I have also seen a number of Steeler and former Steeler players and coaches there over the years, which is one of the reasons I like to stay there.

My Mood
    patriots-hater
    Rent a car. Its actually really cheap in Pittsburgh. Buy and entertainment book for discounts. I stayed in Bridgeville 10 mi from downtown here

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/e...elsearchresult $110 for a king room or double.

Great Bars across the street once you come back to hang out. Easy to get around town from here. If you buy the entertainment book you can get good deals.

Primantis, Hineswards bar, Bettis Bar, if you have an extra day, drive to Canton OH to the HOF 2hrs. Park at Station square and pay the $15 to ride the boat over, easy access in and out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by roosterray View Post
    Rent a car. Its actually really cheap in Pittsburgh. Buy and entertainment book for discounts. I stayed in Bridgeville 10 mi from downtown here

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/e...elsearchresult $110 for a king room or double.

Great Bars across the street once you come back to hang out. Easy to get around town from here. If you buy the entertainment book you can get good deals.

Primantis, Hineswards bar, Bettis Bar, if you have an extra day, drive to Canton OH to the HOF 2hrs. Park at Station square and pay the $15 to ride the boat over, easy access in and out of the game.
    Thanks for all the advice!

-We definately will be renting a car from the airport considering it would be cheaper than cabs everywhere!
    -Taking a boat from the Gateway Clipper fleet from station square to Heinz Field is omething we definately will do!
    -Also will look into going to the HOF for sure.
    -I will look definately consider that Holiday Express in Bridgeville too.
    -Is the Strip District the best place to buy Steelers Merchandise??? I plan on buying all I can fit into my suitcase to bring home!

Any other suggestions on where to stay that has some restaurants, entertainment, and isn't too far from downtown??? Which suburbs would be my best bet? Should I stay away from the airport hotels?

Duke of 531
    The strip is the place to get cheap steeler stuff the street vendors have lots of knock-off t-shirts try feinberg company (18th street in strip) for some genuine stuff... Try peppi's in the strip between 17th and 18th streets(next to robert wholey co.) they have the best sandwich in town (the phantom, whiz, cathedral,and big wheeler are my favorites)... primanti's is a tourist trap personally i don't really care for them but to each their own....saturday mornings are the most lively in the strip definetly a time and place to stop...anywhere in south side or station square for night life...definetly rent the car, you can always take a taxi if you drink too much and can come back later and get the car later... DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE YOU WILL GET CAUGHT AND RUIN YOUR TRIP , NOT TO MENTION KILLING SOMEONE ( the police watch for dui closely)...have fun and go steelers

My Mood
    patriots-hater
    Hometowne Sports right where you get on the boat has so much gear. Game day is packed. Even the night before the game.

oh and at station square the beer is cheap on game day.

You have to have Iron City light at Bettis bar. COLD and get a deepfried sandwich.....

Fridays' at 5pm Jerome is on the radio show at his bar. We got his autograph that day.

Thread Information