Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hines in the HoF Take 2

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter

Hines in the HoF Take 2

Interseting take on Hines making the Hall of Fame by SI's Peter King.

Here's the link.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

lol at this again....just cause his stats would make a great case for canton back in the 70s doesnt mean they do now....his stats are put to shame but a dozen WRs in this era, some of which are already waiting to get in the hall.

ive said it before and ill say it again...there is no. way. in. hell. ward sniffs the hall of fame, his case wont make for an interesting discussion by the 44 voters at all

I think you're absolutely wrong on this one KTrain. One of the first times I disagree with you. His numbers actually make a pretty good case across the board except for YPC which is typical in a possession receiver. Yes there are plenty receivers in this era that have more flashier stats but he did not have the luxury of having a quarterback in his prime and playing in a passing offense. Despite of this he still has a respectable 11,000 career yards and 78 TDs.

I also think you're underestimating the significance of having a championship next to your name. He has two and is an MVP of one of them. I believe old timers like Stallworth and Swann went in solely because of this. His intangibles that aren't measured by stats will also be thrown into the conversation. He's definitely not a first ballot, but having a backup RB and a guard as the only two players to get in on a two-time SB team will be criminal.

Warren, OH. It's about a hour & 45 minutes NW from the Burgh.
    + Hines is an all around football player known for his punishing blocks...very few receivers have been so physical to the point where opposing defensive players were crying. He has that identity plus championships just like Swann had the "acrobatic catch highlight reel identity" plus championships. I believe there is more to it than just stats. Hey but what do I know, I'm biased.

yeah incredibly biased. hines is a good blocker and gets the exposure as a blocker because thats what he is best at, hes certainly not the first WR to throw a nice block but he gets reconized as a blocking WR because he isnt a deep threat, or a terror after the catch, nor does he strike fear into the hearts of d coordinators.

Hes gonna be retiring in a class that includes TO (wow hey look at that an excellent blocker as well), randy moss, marvin harrison with tim brown, chris carter and andre reed all waiting (who were among the best at their position in their careers)

Never not even once would you have considered hines ward a top 5 WR in the league, all of which the others i mentioned above have been (and even THE best in some years). My point is the hall of fame is for the best of the best, not just the good or the consistant. If hines ward is hall worth, steve smith must be a lock (great blocker, was arguably the best WR in football for 2 years, AND did it without any help at the other WR spot and mediocre QB play)

hines ward might be the best steelers WR but thats gonna be by default for some reasons....longevity, and being the only real option in the run heavy bill cowher offense for a long time. you could put any elite WR in hines wards role and he would have wayyyy better numbers. hes good, will go down as a great steeler but i love when a steelers fan throws out the argument how he revolutionized the WR position by throwing a few block, half of which were cheap shots. saying he revolutionized it is way wrong, thats an espn induced opinion.

great slot WRs that block well dont make the hall, so neither will hines ward
    Last edited by K Train; 08-23-2010 at 12:47 PM.

He won't make it...

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    He won't make it...
    lol basically what i said in 2 essays above

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    lol basically what i said in 2 essays above
    Hines is a Steelers favorite but that won't get him in...

He will get in. Maybe not on the first ballot, but he will definitely get in.

If the Steelers end up going to another Super Bowl and win it and Hines is named MVP,he will get into the HOF. Everyone made some great points in the posts before but the one thing that will seperate Hines from the rest is he was on Super Bowl winning teams. Andre Reed,Cris Carter and Tim Brown made a lot of catches but not in big games. Receptions and yards do not make you a lock to make the HOF. In the NFL today there are too many WR's who have good stats and the voting committee will look at other aspects to decide who gets in. SB wins,Character and Community Service is also important

Thread Information