Thread: Getting ready for regular season

Bookmark and Share
    Westerville, OH now but from Mount Lebanon, PA
    My Mood
    patriots-hater

My Social Networks

Follow StlersGuy On Twitter Add StlersGuy on Facebook Add StlersGuy on Google+ Visit StlersGuy's Youtube Channel

Getting ready for regular season

Steelers Notebook

The Steelers preseason game against the Denver Broncos on Sunday night will be a dress rehearsal for the regular season.

“It’s your last preparation for the season,” said linebacker Lawrence Timmons. “We want to carry as much momentum from this into the season as possible. That’s why we have to take every day and work hard and learn as much as we can.”

The team is going through a regular season schedule in practice in preparation, including game-planning for the first time in the preseason.

“Every team does it like that,” said wide receiver Mike Wallace. “It’s the third game, the closest to a regular season game. We are going to go out and get a lot of work, game plan and see what we really have.”

The team will be without safety Ryan Clark against the Broncos. Clark will miss the game because of health reasons which caused him problems when the team played there in 2007. Clark, who has the sickle cell trait, had a reaction to the high altitude, forcing him to later have surgery to remove his gall bladder and spleen.

Clark’s absence will give Will Allen a chance to show what he can do.

“It’s a great opportunity,” said Allen. “To be able to play with those guys and those snaps it will be a great opportunity. We’ll see how it goes. Whatever the coaches ask me to do, I will do it. I am willing and ready.”

Allen has impressed his new teammates so far, after signing with the Steelers as an unrestricted free agent from Tampa Bay this offseason.

“Will Allen is a great player,” said Timmons. “He made a lot of great plays for us last game. He is a great player. I can’t wait to see him out there.”

Timmons is ready for this to be his year. Entering his fourth season at inside linebacker for the Steelers, Timmons knows it’s time for him to step up.

“I am feeling a sense of urgency from the players and coaches,” said Timmons. “I am just trying to step up and do my job and help the defense out the best I can.”

Timmons was hoping for that breakout season a year ago, and while he put up good numbers with 86 tackles, seven sacks and two forced fumbles, injuries hampered his progress.

“Injuries happen,” said Timmons. “I had two high ankles and that’s tough. I carried on through it and had somewhat productive season.”

Guard Trai Essex is lending a hand to right tackle Flozell Adams, who is learning a new offensive system and playing right tackle for the first time in his career.

“He’s been in another system for 12 years and he’s had different offensive coordinators,” said Essex. “This is a whole new thing for him. I am just helping him with the terminology and how we do things here as an offensive line. Helping him adjust is my main focus because the quicker he does that is going to help us out in the end.”

“He’s made tremendous strides even from the first to the second game he’s made excellent strides. It is different playing from the left to the right, there’s a whole balance and body weight thing. He’s adjusted well.”

Essex feels that Adams will be the team’s starting right tackle when the Steelers open the season against the Atlanta Falcons on Sept. 12.

“There’s nothing that tells me otherwise,” said Essex.
    http://www.steelers.com/news/article...1-164a1f8cea59

I want to see a smothering defense this year one that gets off the field on 3rd downs, but I also want to see an offense that can chew big chunks of the clock w/ each drive. If we can get this our D will stay fresh and there is a good chance we'll be dangerous.

Westerville, OH now but from Mount Lebanon, PA
    My Mood
    patriots-hater

My Social Networks

Follow StlersGuy On Twitter Add StlersGuy on Facebook Add StlersGuy on Google+ Visit StlersGuy's Youtube Channel
    I really want to see us open the passing game up... I think if we speed the O out more it will keep the D at home and open our ground game up at the same time.

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    I like the big splash plays on Offense as much as anyone, but I want to see a slow methodical O this year. Drain their D while preserving ours. Would make for a deep run.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This is going to be, and needs to be, a break out year for Timmons. He's got all the tools to play both inside and outside, Im excited to see him out there.

The starters will play the most this weekend, more than likely the whole first half and perhaps a series into the 2nd half. Im looking for some consistency to start being built up on the offensive line, and the running game to start taking control especially on 3rd and short yardage situations. The group that we see on the OL Sunday night will be the group that starts the season out, assuming they all stay healthy. By the time first month of the season is over these guys should really start to come into their own as a group and be able to consistently perform in all phases.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    The starters will play the most this weekend, more than likely the whole first half and perhaps a series into the 2nd half. Im looking for some consistency to start being built up on the offensive line, and the running game to start taking control especially on 3rd and short yardage situations. The group that we see on the OL Sunday night will be the group that starts the season out, assuming they all stay healthy. By the time first month of the season is over these guys should really start to come into their own as a group and be able to consistently perform in all phases.
    This team is more talented in almost every facet than the past few seasons. Pouncey and Flo add to the oline (give Flo time and he'll be a stud again). Miller/Spaeth/Johnson give you EVERYTHING you want in a TE set. Every back on the roster runs hard, north and south and can be an asset in the passing game. WR is down a bit with out Tone, no doubt. But im excited to seee what kinda role Sanders/Brown will play this season. The Defense is for once deep in the secodary with Lewis, B-Mac, Mundy, Allen, Burnett and Crezdon. STACKED AT LB! D-line has 4 starters to make a good rotation. And the ST's can only get better.

As this season goes on, all this talent will gel and start realizing their role on this team... i should be VERY exciting by the time Ben returns!

My Mood
    Addicted
    We need a real FB Summers ain't getting it done, personallly i rather see Mchugh play FB if we can't find one, We need a RG and i'm not sold on Flo at RT right now, i hope he gets it together but he reminds me of Starks with his foot work, although Max has looked better this year on the Left side.I just can't wait untill Sep 12th Every other position i'm excited about we have nice depth at QB, WR, RB, DB, Safety and LB, we do need sum D-Line depth other than Ziggy, and our special teams should be better this year!
    Last edited by HUNT4SEVEN; 08-24-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Thread Information