Thread: Ziggy Hood making a name for himself now

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Ziggy Hood making a name for himself now

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10220/1078528-66.stm

Sunday, August 08, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Not all great NFL players have had nicknames, and not all nicknames seem apt. Certainly, most do not fit as well as "Mean" Joe Greene or "Fats" Holmes or even "Big Snack," which could describe either what Casey Hampton ate just before curfew or the offensive linemen he devoured earlier in the day.
    Then there is Evander "Ziggy" Hood, a 6-foot-3, 310-pound Steelers defensive end who is turning his second training camp into his own 'hood. No one, absolutely no one, calls him Evander. Even the Steelers' media guide (so conservative that for about the 28th time in the past 30 years it has nothing on its plain black cover but a Steelers logo) introduces his bio as Ziggy Hood DE. Few, if any, Steelers ever received that treatment -- not Big Ben, not Fats, not Mean Joe and, for sure, not James "Silverback" Harrison.
    Few nicknames are as unfitting for a player as Ziggy, which was bestowed on Hood by his Spanish-speaking grandmother after the comic strip. The cartoon Ziggy is short, bald and, according to the website gocomics.com, "perpetually one step behind, one nickel short, one lane away from the fast lane."
    Calling Evander Hood "Ziggy" is akin to referring to the bald Stooge as "Curly."
    "He's big, he's strong and he's fast," said Aaron Smith, the Steelers' best defensive end in their 3-4 era who has been singing Ziggy's praises since last summer camp.
    "He understands he has a lot to learn still. He learns it and then he uses it. Not everybody can do that. I think he's going to be a special player."
    Hood has attracted plenty of attention at Saint Vincent for the way he has taken over his position. Unlike last year when they put him only at left end, he has played all three positions on the defensive line, including nose tackle.
    Brentson Buckner spent 12 seasons playing on NFL defensive lines, his first three with the Steelers, and it did not take him long to notice Hood during his first week as a coaching intern.
    "He's explosive, has strong hands, has a feel for the game and he's violent. That's the hardest thing to teach kids coming out of college. At this level, it's the intensity and the violence you have to play for. But he has that edge. He comes out ready to bite.
    "When you have a guy who's 310 pounds, strong, fast and he has the motor, he has a chance to be great."
    The only questions that follow Hood, the team's first-round draft choice in 2009, is where will he play and how much? The answer: Everywhere and often, yet he may not start unless there is an injury. Smith has been the starter at left end since 2000 and Brett Keisel at right end since 2006. The way the Steelers look at it, they have three starting ends now. Hood can play either side and give the ends rest periods during games.
    "I don't have a problem with coming out of the game as long as there's no drop-off with the guy coming in," Keisel said. "I think that's when we've been at our best, when we've had a rotation of guys who can come in and play. It keeps us all fresh during the game and at the end of the season. The more guys we can have ready to play the better."
    Whether he starts or not is not an issue for Hood. "I'd rather win than start. When you have two guys like that, I want to learn as much as I can when they're here. When they're gone, then it's me. It all falls on me."
    More of it will fall on him this season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10220...#ixzz0w4ofbuHD

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We really need this kid to come through, we spent a 1st round pick on him and our OL is beginning to age as each year passes. Hood has to step up this year and when he's rotated in, use that motor and make sure the level of play doesn't drop off when the starters go out.

if they rotate ziggy in then that should keep the D line guys fresher later in games

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I wasn't a fan of the Hood pick......But I'm hoping he becomes a beast and can rotate with Smith/Keisel......I don't want to see first round picks fail period.....Missing on first round picks hurts a team big time......Hey Aaron seems to think highly of Hood and Ziggy is learning from Aaron so maybe Ziggy can become a force.......Our aging DL needs that big time......

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I wasn't a fan of the Hood pick......But I'm hoping he becomes a beast and can rotate with Smith/Keisel......I don't want to see first round picks fail period.....Missing on first round picks hurts a team big time......Hey Aaron seems to think highly of Hood and Ziggy is learning from Aaron so maybe Ziggy can become a force.......Our aging DL needs that big time......
    I was a fan cause it was a position of need at the time. (and i like to be different/difficult) The kid is BIG and fast as all hell... he's an athelete at DE, not unlike Kiesel, but bigger. I was worried about his agressiveness, which seems to be what he's being praised for the most this camp! I think he will me more of a "splash play guy'' then the EVER consistant A.Smith. I wont be supised to see him surpass 6 sacks this year in a back up roll.

I know people dont think he is made to play in the 3-4... and "scheme-wise" i can understand that comming out of college as a 4-3 guy. But, his atheletecism and motor made him a 1st rounder. The mental part of the game is what im HOPING he is picking up by watching Smith and Diesel. If he's controling his man/gap, while doing what he does best (playing on the OTHER side of the line) He will be DANGEROUS. That will give Timmons/Potsy lines to make plays coming foward. I really think on PASSING downs Hood will be a monster this season!

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    No one, absolutely no one, calls him Evander.
    That is NOT true, i refer to him exclusively as evander

Quote Originally Posted by steelcitysfinestXL View Post
    I really think on PASSING downs Hood will be a monster this season!
    thats my problem with him and im sure it always will be, im not surprised in the least bit that hood is tearing up one on on drills, but ive always thought he would be a great pass rusher from the interior, and while thats a luxury we havent had in (years????) his skill set just isnt what we look for in an end.....at least not now, im glad to see hes being relentless though because if hes ever gonna be successful as anything other than a pass rushing UT thats hows hes gonna have to do it. ive hated on this pick alot, and i still hate the pick and will still be extremely critical of him and the coaches for putting a square peg into a round hole....but at least hes not worthless like our #2 pick that year, a pick i hated much much much more than the evander one

Thread Information