Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's time to use Sepulveda on kickoffs

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

It's time to use Sepulveda on kickoffs

He was booming kickoffs at Latrobe last night like crazy; it's high time we start using that leg of his for more than just punts. Reed boomed a 60 yd FG straight down the center with room to spare tonight as well, but why in the world the kickoffs are always short is beyond me.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I agree and Tomlin should have let Sepulveda kick-off last year.......Reed is terrible at kicking off and one way to help a struggling kick coverage unit is by having a kicker with a leg to drive the ball deep for touch backs.......

My Mood
    patriots-hater
    Sounds like our new special teams coach knows what he's doing. If Reed won't be kicking off, he can't ask for a big payday. Danny should get the raise if he's doing more Maybe he'll Punt, and kick field goals. Has anyone ever done that?

Assistant Coach nuclearchihuahuas's Avatar
    I think Reed should only be used for FGs. I mentioned previously in the "Jeff Reed is unhappy about his contract" posting that I truly believe him (Reed) to be way overrated--his kickoffs have been less than spectacular lately --I would like to see Sepulveda punt and kickoff--he has got the leg to get the ball where we want it to go--Reed has the accuracy but not the depth

My Mood
    Addicted
    We were all saying that last year. It was like one time out of ten that Reed got it into the end zone. If they've been trying out Sepulveda and he's doing well, I don't see any reason not to use him.

More here

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=9740

Daniel Sepulveda to boot Jeff Reed off the kickoff team?
    By Dagger, on August 7th, 2010

Just about all of us want Jeff Reed to be replaced on kickoffs. Reed’s struggles have been well documented on this site and hearing that Sepulveda put up a solid showing under the lights on Friday night makes us smile. Allow us to jump to conclusions using the smallest sample size you’ve ever seen:

Daniel Sepulveda kicked off 4 times last night. His hangtimes were 4.07, 3.93, 3.87, and 3.70. One of his kicks went 2 yards deep into the endzone and another went 8 yards deep into the endzone. We didn’t get word how far the other 2 kicks traveled but if you assume those 2 kicks went the league average (65 yards) Sepulveda’s 4 kick average would put him among the top 5 kickers in the league in terms of average kickoff distance. I know, I know…the sample size is incredibly small but Reed is the worst kickoff guy in the NFL. If Sepulveda can provide the team with ANY kind of improvement then he needs to be “the guy”.

We’ll follow his kicks this preseason and project season-long totals/rankings for him. We ran a similar test for Stefan Logan during last preseason and actually came very close to nailing his regular season output.

--- Added 8/7/2010 at 01:41 PM ---

Let Sepulveda be the kickoff guy, field goal kicker and punter and keep Stefan Logan on the roster.

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    This should be titled It's time to use Sepulveda on kickoffs, give him a full face mask, and let him help tackle someone

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    He was booming kickoffs at Latrobe last night like crazy; it's high time we start using that leg of his for more than just punts. Reed boomed a 60 yd FG straight down the center with room to spare tonight as well, but why in the world the kickoffs are always short is beyond me.
    I've been thinking the same thing TG. Every time Reed kicks off and that ball a lands on the 10-15 yard line it makes me sick. I'm sure Sepulveda would do a better job tackling also.
    Last edited by steelers4life66; 08-07-2010 at 05:59 PM.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united steeler nation.
    And to the franchise for which it stands. One nation of domination
    With the ability to crush you all.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    For the life of me I can't figure out how a guy who can boot a 60 yd FG with now problem and who can kick FG's in one of the toughest places in the NFL consistently, can't ever get it into the endzone. Im no kicker so I can't profess to know everything but it seems to be if you've got the leg to precisely boot a 60 yd FG right now the middle that you should be able to blast it into the endzone on a kickoff with nobody in your face.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    For the life of me I can't figure out how a guy who can boot a 60 yd FG with now problem and who can kick FG's in one of the toughest places in the NFL consistently, can't ever get it into the endzone. Im no kicker so I can't profess to know everything but it seems to be if you've got the leg to precisely boot a 60 yd FG right now the middle that you should be able to blast it into the endzone on a kickoff with nobody in your face.
    Logically you would think that this ability to kick the 60 yarder thru the up rights would translate over to kick offs.....it's an enigma I tell yinz....

Thread Information