Thread: All contract talks finished for 2010

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

All contract talks finished for 2010

Reed, Colon, Woodley, and Ike Taylor's status will be decided after this season. Really the whole league's status will be decided since there is no CBA right now.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10215/1077202-66.stm

Steelers won't discuss any new contract extension this year
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
    Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor is entering the final year of his contract.

The Steelers have slammed the door shut on any new contract extensions for players this year, at least one month early.
    "As an organization we decided we're going to focus on 2010," Kevin Colbert said Monday.
    Colbert, the team's director of football operations, had a long talk with linebacker LaMarr Woodley over lunch and said the team also informed tackle Willie Colon, cornerback Ike Taylor and kicker Jeff Reed, all starters working on the final year of their contract.
    Woodley and Reed had been outspoken about the lack of negotiations with the team to try to reach contract extensions. The only contract extensions the Steelers have signed recently were those of five years for Colbert and two years and an option for coach Mike Tomlin.
    The players will have to wait, at least until after the 2010 season.
    "We're at the point now where we always go where we can go, then we decide we have to move on with the season and we've reached that decision," Tomlin said.
    The question becomes if that decision affects the players involved and if they let it infect the locker room.
    "I'm playing football," declared Woodley, the team sack leader last season who is set to make a $550,000 salary in the fourth year of his rookie contract. "I'm not going to have no contract on my mind out there while I'm playing football. If I have contract on my mind, I'm going to get knocked upside my head and I can't go out and help this team win.
    "When I'm out on the field, I'm not thinking, 'Oh, man, contract this and that; I don't want to get hurt.' If you're out there thinking about those things, that's when you get hurt, that's when you go out there and you don't perform as well and don't help your team out. I can't be one of those guys."
    Hines Ward, an offensive captain, believes the players involved just happened to have their contracts break at the wrong time with the NFL's collective bargaining agreement set to end in 2011 and no new one in sight.
    "It's uncertainty," Ward said. "We don't know what next year holds. It's just unfortunate when you got drafted. There's nothing you can do about it. Some guys are going to be mad. But how can you sign somebody if there's going to be a lockout next year? How do you determine a long-term contract?"
    Ward also does not think it will hurt the team's chances this season.
    "Nobody on this team or in the organization knows what's going to happen next year. Let's just enjoy what we got while we're playing and deal with that in theoffseason. In the offseason, you can be mad or do whatever you want, but, if there's no football, there's nothing you can do about it. It's unfortunate, where there is uncertainty and we don't know if we'll play next year or not.
    "Trust me, guys aren't even talking about that. We're just trying to win it this year."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10215...#ixzz0vaqIdoOt

I'd have really liked Woodley's deal to be done prior to the start of this season. I'm really starting to get concerned about the 2011 season even happening the more this is talked about.

My Mood
    Impatient
    Not sure what the CBA will look like, but I bet the Rooney's know something. Either Woodley will still be an RFA or there will be some sort of rule that will allow the Steelers to get first crack at Woodley. Otherwise, I am not sure they would just let him go this year and risk loosing him.

Time to suck it up and go after a first round CB stud. From what I've been reading, Lewis and Burnett aren't looking like starters and William Gay is looking just as bad as last year. I chuckled when I read in one scrimmage he was whistled for holding Randle El.

Tailgate Coordinator
    I'm in agreement with Hines. I still think Woodley stays with us.

I'm A "Champion"

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Woodley isn't going anywhere........I just hope Woodley stays healthy all year......He deserves a new contract but this whole CBA thing is really preventing many teams from resigning some of their stars.......

Woodley will get paid he just has to wait a little longer than he normally would.

Thread Information