My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Reed not happy about contract situation

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10213/1076855-66.stm

Steelers' Jeff Reed kicking up a fuss over contract
    Sunday, August 01, 2010
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Matt Freed/Post-Gazette

Jeff Reed arrived at camp already an unhappy camper when it came to his contract.

Jeff Reed will have to wait at least another year before possibly signing a long-term contract that would keep him with the Steelers until his career is over. And he is not happy about it.
    Reed, who will earn $2,814,000 in 2010 after signing a one-year franchise tender, said he is "extremely" disappointed that the Steelers did not sign him to a longer contract before the start of training camp.
    What's more, he believes he was misled by unspecified members of the organization about their intention of wanting to sign him to a multi-year deal.
    "I'm not going to point anyone out or any statement out, but, yeah, I was told one thing and another thing happened," Reed said Saturday after practice at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe. "I understand business moves, but I'm not a big fan of lying."
    Reed, who converted 87 percent of his field-goal attempts in 2009 (27 for 31) and 83.3 percent in his eight-year career, said he was told by team president Art Rooney II on Friday that the Steelers would not be able to complete a long-term deal with him before the start of the 2010 regular season.
    Part of the problem is that the Steelers had to sign tackle Flozell Adams to a two-year, $7.5 million contract after the season-ending injury to right tackle Willie Colon.
    "I'm really disappointed ... extremely ... little bit bitter," Reed said. "That's probably not a good choice of words. I'm not here to burn bridges. I got to play football. I'm not happy, but I'm happy to be with all these guys and be a part of the organization.
    "It's one of those things, life is not really fair. I've experienced that a few times in this league. I honestly feel that if you perform, no matter if you kick at Heinz field or a dome, as a kicker, you deserve to get compensated for it."
    Reed was designated the team's franchise player in February, meaning he would earn the average of the top five kickers and punters in the National Football League in 2010. At the time, Rooney and director of football operations Kevin Colbert indicated they would like to sign Reed to a long-term deal that would allow him to finish his career with the Steelers, the only team for whom he has played.
    Colbert said Saturday it is the team's policy to not publicly discuss a player's contract status.
    "I've talked to guys in the organization personally, one on one, about how I feel; that's the best way to do it," Reed said. "To get my business out in the media, out in public, is not the best way to portray yourself. But it hurts. I want to retire here. There's a possibility I still can retire here. But it looks like it's getting tougher."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10213...#ixzz0vKOtVy76

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Im all for Reed getting a long term deal, but right now between having to sign additional lineman and Woodley still waiting for a new deal the team can only do so much. Im quite sure Reed is in their long term plans as is Woodley of course but in the case of Jeff, going to media and spouting off never helps matters any. It's quite evident he's upset, but man he's got over 2 million coming to him this year and the fact that he got the transition tag means the team wants to keep him around but just needs to buy some time and work it all out and make sure it's beneficial for both Jeff and the Steelers.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Jeff is upset but the guy has to learn patience. No one planned on Willie C getting hurt and having to sign Flozell.....I just hope for Jeff's sake he doesn't play like a disgruntled kicker and only give a half hearted effort because of the contract situation. IMHO that will not help Jeff's attempt to get a long term deal worked out FWIW.
    Last edited by KSSteelerfan; 08-01-2010 at 01:24 AM.

I'm a fan of Reed, but he is making over $2 million this season and there's a good chance he'll be here for a while if he can stay out of trouble. Don't really see this amounting to much.

lol wutever buddy 2 million a season?. kickers are a dime a dozen, they teach us that in peewee

With Colon lose for the season and having to sign two tackles since, and with Woodley, Colon and Ike in their last year of their contracts. Reed will have to wait.

I believe if Woodley make it through camp healthy, if anything can be done, even if it means a large signing bonus, the Steelers will handle it. With Lewis, Burrent, Butler waiting in the wings, Ike resigning will depend on the price. Colon at this moment is still the Steelers best long term option at RT, so resign at a lower price.

Reed: you should know from AF situation: going public is not the best way of handling your business IF you want to remain a Steeler

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Reed needs to shut up. He's a kicker. Shut up. You have no juice.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Assistant Coach RIVERS OF STEEL's Avatar
    My Mood
    Where
    2 million can't shut him up. what the f can. lol. hope he at least tries to take out a runner, if needed, for that amount of jack.

And their fans.

Assistant Coach nuclearchihuahuas's Avatar
    I really don't care how upset he is...he shouldn't be speaking to the media--big baby! We do not need any discord---his leg isn't as strong as it was and he doesn't tackle any better than any other kicker...if he cannot get happy in short order we should find another kicker or give sepulvada a shot at it and pay him reed's salary too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Trap86 View Post
    lol wutever buddy 2 million a season?. kickers are a dime a dozen, they teach us that in peewee
    Yes true kickers are a dime a dozen but it's not going to help us to get a kicker who well sucks. Reed is one of the top 10 most accurate kickers period. when he missed those two field goals in chicago last season i was actually shocked because they were money shots. I think dependind on how flo does colon might be cut next year anyhow. which could mean more money for Jeffy. (i've never really been a colon fan, actually since faneca left it's really been hard for me to apprciate any of the o-line.

Thread Information