Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experience?

Bookmark and Share

Experience?

Actually I'm tired of hearing about experience being the thing that's holding DD from the starting position. The only reason anyone's saying anything is because of the Pick at the end of the ravens game. If one Pick is going to cause him to lose a chance at the starting position then Peyton manning should be losing his starting job because of the pick he threw that cost the colts the superbowl. And for experience there are rookies that come in and take right over for a team. There is no reason DD can not lead this team. He would be a lot better than slowwich.

I've been a fan of both of these guys since they played in college. So i really dont have any favoritism toward either guy. I like what Dixon could bring to the table as a starter. He's atheletic, fast as hell and has pretty live arm. He didnt play bad or great in his ONLY NFL start. He started off VERY slow and progressively got better as the game went on. Overall i really would love to see what he could do going into a fresh season prepared to be the starter.

With Leftwich, we know what to expect. He's gonna drop in the pocket, wind up and throw F'in lasers. He has as live of an arm as anyone thats in the league. He may not be mobile at all, but he has good pocket presence. He CAN sidestep, step up or step out of the pocket to buy time. Hell he had a 15-20 yard TD run against the Browns in the reg. season finale in '08. I know running is NOT in his game... But dude is FEARLESS in the pocket.

He stands in there and delivers the ball, usually quite acurately. He can connect with Wallace, Sanders and Brown on those deep/fly/fade routes Ben like to leave short so often. He knows WHEN to get rid of the ball and with Miller, Ward and Wallace he has some guys that can get open often. Add in Mendenhall and MeMo (if he pick his game back up to 08-09 level) and Leftys decision making and i dont think its that hard to see how Tomlin has Lefty penciled in at #1.

Speaking of Tomlin... besides the fact Dixon looked pretty terrible for the better part of OTA's, why do you think MT would call Lefty the starte so soon before camp!?!?! Could be to light a fire under the *** of a young man who needs to prove he can get it done!!! Just a thought! Im not counting out Dixon, but my money is now on Lefty to be the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by xxxsteelernation View Post
    Actually I'm tired of hearing about experience being the thing that's holding DD from the starting position. The only reason anyone's saying anything is because of the Pick at the end of the ravens game. If one Pick is going to cause him to lose a chance at the starting position then Peyton manning should be losing his starting job because of the pick he threw that cost the colts the superbowl. And for experience there are rookies that come in and take right over for a team. There is no reason DD can not lead this team. He would be a lot better than slowwich.

not to mention his value going up if he actually wins 3 of 4 games. then he will put fire under ben's ***.

0 film study on DD is reason enough for me to start him. Look what DA did for the Browns, no film study and he was a pro bowler...Following year he was ot to lunch!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Let's say that Dixon was too win the starting job, and they go 4-0 and Dixon plays well: What happens after in week five, when Ben comes back. No only this year but the years to follow. Dixon is a unrestricted FA after this season and if no other teams is bidding for his services, then the Steelers can resign him on the cheap. Even if Batch or Leftwich are still here because both have two years deal.

With Leftwich playing, even if the Steelers are 4-0, every Steelers fan with want Ben back, but if they are 4-0 with Dixon, than the there will be a uproar for Dixon to stay the QB: I can't tell you if Dixon has what it take to be a Big Time "QB" in the NFL, but all I have to say is "Derek Anderson"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That interception at the end of the Ratbird game isn't what is holding Dixon back. In all the offseason workouts, he's had plenty of chances to make a solid impression and show the coaches he's ready but for whatever reason that hasn't happened. I agree he showed good potential in that game, and he will continue to get his chances to impress the coaches during this camp and the preseason. Lefty was brought in because you need 3 active QB's on the roster and with Ben out for atleast the first 4 and also Batch being more injury prone these last few years you simply can't stake your success on a QB with virtually no experience.

Lefty isn't a complete lock for the starting job until Ben comes back, but right now he is the front runner and it's up to Dixon to take his chances and make the best of them.

My Mood
    Clowns
    I definitely think if Dixon has a good camp and he plays well in the pre-season he definitely could push Leftwich for the starting job. Like TG just said above the Steelers simply could not go into the season with virtually no experience at the QB position. Dixon I believe will get a fair chance to win the starting job and it will be up to him whether or not he takes advantage of his opportunity...

Quote Originally Posted by xxxsteelernation View Post
    I can't believe you just compared Dennis Dixon to Peyton Manning.

Seriously guys. Dixon played a horrendous game. We catered to him by changing the gameplan so it would help out the first time starter(i.e. running the ball excessively on the Ravens) and we still came up short. Mendenhall actually had 90 yards too which is rare on Baltimore's D. Our defense actually played pretty well too. We would have won if Dixon completed more than a mediocre 40 percent of his passes and threw for more than 140 yards. Interceptions happen I'm not holding that against him (he also should have been picked on the first pass of the game for a TD but it bounced right off a defenders hands). But yeah, his other stats are why he is on the bench.

--- Added 7/30/2010 at 03:43 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by greg1964 View Post
    Let's say that Dixon was too win the starting job, and they go 4-0 and Dixon plays well: What happens after in week five, when Ben comes back. No only this year but the years to follow. Dixon is a unrestricted FA after this season and if no other teams is bidding for his services, then the Steelers can resign him on the cheap. Even if Batch or Leftwich are still here because both have two years deal.

With Leftwich playing, even if the Steelers are 4-0, every Steelers fan with want Ben back, but if they are 4-0 with Dixon, than the there will be a uproar for Dixon to stay the QB: I can't tell you if Dixon has what it take to be a Big Time "QB" in the NFL, but all I have to say is "Derek Anderson"
    I'm embarrassed to be associated with the logic that comes out of some Steelers fans.

Yeah let's get rid of Ben when we go 4-0 with Dixon. **** him he's a rapist. Doesn't matter if there was virtually no evidence or that he is a former RotY, pro bowl, Steelers single season record holder and 2 time SB winning QB. Steelers will rise again with Kordell Stewart v. 2.0
    Last edited by DanRooney; 07-30-2010 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by No l Gravity l View Post
    I can't believe you just compared Dennis Dixon to Peyton Manning.

Seriously guys. Dixon played a horrendous game. We catered to him by changing the gameplan so it would help out the first time starter(i.e. running the ball excessively on the Ravens) and we still came up short. Mendenhall actually had 90 yards too which is rare on Baltimore's D. Our defense actually played pretty well too. We would have won if Dixon completed more than a mediocre 40 percent of his passes and threw for more than 140 yards. Interceptions happen I'm not holding that against him (he also should have been picked on the first pass of the game for a TD but it bounced right off a defenders hands). But yeah, his other stats are why he is on the bench.

--- Added 7/30/2010 at 03:43 PM ---

I'm embarrassed to be associated with the logic that comes out of some Steelers fans.

Yeah let's get rid of Ben when we go 4-0 with Dixon. **** him he's a rapist. Doesn't matter if there was virtually no evidence or that he is a former RotY, pro bowl, Steelers single season record holder and 2 time SB winning QB. Steelers will rise again with Kordell Stewart v. 2.0
    Do you remember dixon had less than a day to prepare for the ravens. and yes he was limited on play selection because of the lack of prep time. And watch that game again a majority of dixon's passes were dropped passes not because they were inaccurate. Yea he had a bad OTA. And my comparison to dixon and manning was based purly on the fact that you don't hold a QB back because of a game changing Pick. All I'm saying is with leftwich in there we are going to be pounded our offensive line and our offensive schemes are for a mobile QB not a pocket passer. With arians playcalling and leftwhich we are going to look like the detroit lions out there.

Quote Originally Posted by No l Gravity l View Post

This.

Thread Information