Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers linebacker Farrior: better, not older

Bookmark and Share
    Westerville, OH now but from Mount Lebanon, PA
    My Mood
    patriots-hater

My Social Networks

Follow StlersGuy On Twitter Add StlersGuy on Facebook Add StlersGuy on Google+ Visit StlersGuy's Youtube Channel

Steelers linebacker Farrior: better, not older

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Ask inside linebacker and co-captain James Farrior about the uneven performance of the Steelers defense last season, and he doesn't hesitate to point the finger of blame at himself.

"I left a lot of plays out on the field. There were some situations I could have played a lot better," Farrior said Monday following a three-hour workout at ESPN Wide World of Sports. "No matter what anybody says, we had a bad year. I didn't play as well as I wanted to play, and I know a lot of guys on the team felt the same way."

Finishing 9-7 a year after winning Super Bowl XLIII, the Steelers missed the playoffs by one game, For Farrior, a player accustomed to an overabundance of success during 13 NFL seasons, not reaching the postseason was unacceptable.

Especially when Farrior didn't perform up to his normal lofty standards.

At 35 and the second-oldest player on the team (behind quarterback Charlie Batch), Farrior suggests he's getting better, not older. He also predicts a turnaround not only for himself, but for a defense that's anxious to reclaim its status among the league's most dominant units.

Farrior said media criticism regarding his individual performance — despite leading the team in tackles four consecutive seasons — has given him unexpected motivation.

"That adds fuel to the fire. That's one of the motivating factors for me — how bad we played last year. You're going to do everything in your power not to let that happen again," said Farrior, who is entering the third year of a five-year contract. "Whenever people doubt you, say negative stuff about you, as a competitor, you try to prove everybody wrong. It makes you want to work that much harder.

"I don't feel like the oldest guy on the team. Age is just a number. I don't want to put a time limit on anything. As long as my body feels healthy, as long as I'm mentally into it, I want to keep playing."

That's why Farrior, who calls defensive signals, was pushing himself under the watchful eye of speed and conditioning guru Tom Shaw only 11 days before the opening of training camp.

Based on yesterday's workout, Farrior didn't act his age. He didn't take extra water breaks in the stifling heat and humidity and went all-out in every drill.

"That's why I come down here with Tom. He knows how to get people in shape," Farrior said. "He treats everybody the same. We know when he gives us a drill, it's going to be very beneficial for us."

Farrior appears determined to bounce back from last season. He remains confident he hasn't lost a step and sees no reason why he shouldn't be on the field for passing downs.

Dating to 2001 in his final season with the New York Jets before joining the Steelers as a free agent, Farrior has started 140 of a possible 144 games. He hasn't missed a start since 2005.

"That's my goal, to be out there as much as I can," said Farrior, who made it clear he believes he's the best player for the position. "I never want to come off the field. As far as the coaching goes, that's up to them what they decide to do."

Even after all these years, Farrior still believes his game has room for improvement.

"If I didn't feel that way, I wouldn't be out here busting my butt every day. If I didn't think I could get better and help this team try to get to another championship, I would give it up," Farrior said. "I understand that I'm getting older and I'm not getting any faster or stronger, but as long as I can maintain that high level of play, I still want to play."
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_691133.html

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I wouldn't expect anything less from Farrior; he's a pro and you know he was not happy with how he played last year. He'll have to be on top of his game this year, since the linebackers are the heart and soul of a 34 defense. He's only got another year or 2 left in him at this point and with so many young guys backing up the starters he'll be valuable in helping to teach them as they step up for us in the future.

Duke of 531
    I think it was a domino effect lat year. With aaron smith being out it exposed the linebacking corp and in turn the linebacking corp exposed the secondary. Hopefully this year barring injury and the return of foote and McFadden and having a healthy polamalu and smith will bring the defence back to where it was even though they are a year older and WISER. The one big thing i hope doesn't happen is that Polamalu's knee goes bad again this year because if it does it's probably safe to assume there is a chronic problem there maybe career ending pray that's not the case because if it is we could see another 2009... GO STEELERS...

lebeau doesnt know how to move on, farrior had a surge late in his career where he was brilliant and had some of his best seasons....last year he was the slowest player on the field, casey hampton looked more explosive. until we get a new body playin MACK farrior will hold the defense back

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    lebeau doesnt know how to move on, farrior had a surge late in his career where he was brilliant and had some of his best seasons....last year he was the slowest player on the field, casey hampton looked more explosive. until we get a new body playin MACK farrior will hold the defense back
    I hate to say it, but i fear your right. Though, i think he gets/deserves the nod as the starter week 1. I'd also like to see a comparison of when its Timmons/Farrior vs. Foote/Farrior vs. Timmon/Foote.

I think there is something to be said about the games Keyeron Fox replaced Timmons in (esp. against TEN & MIN who have the best 2 RB's in the NFL) and the fact that they were both held incheck (3.8 ypc each). I like Timmons, i think he is dynmic, explosive and a great cover man... but he plays the run like a b*tch ( i have that replay of McClain running his *** over for a TD looping in my head now) at times where Foote/Farrior/Fox excel. Either way atleast they know they have 4 qaulity starters at MLB now.

He's been a great player but father time is always undefeated. Farrior cant help that.

How many years til Worilds lines up outside and Harrison moves inside? Worilds-Harrison-Timmons-Woodley........2011 sounds good to me....

Quote Originally Posted by mos07 View Post
    How many years til Worilds lines up outside and Harrison moves inside? Worilds-Harrison-Timmons-Woodley........2011 sounds good to me....
    Harrison moving inside is a bad idea. It would take away his advantage of being smaller and quicker than most tackles.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I agree 100 percent with this post......I like James Farrior and he surpassed my expectations of him when he signed as a FA from the Jets........But his best days are behind him and its time for him to be a backup.....Problem is.....Who take his spot in the starting lineup?.....Timmons sliding over to the Mack?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers_All_Day_43 View Post
    Harrison moving inside is a bad idea. It would take away his advantage of being smaller and quicker than most tackles.
    hmmm harrison is the strongest LB we got, he can take on guards 1-1 and he is a phenom against the run....hes not quick, timmons is quick...harrison is powerful and would best fit in the middle, OLB is actually not his best position at all even though hes badass wherever he plays

Thread Information