Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LaMarr Woodley still Steelers' top priority

Bookmark and Share

LaMarr Woodley still Steelers' top priority

Report: LaMarr Woodley still Steelers' top priority
    Posted by Evan Silva on July 13, 2010 7:31 PM ET

On Tuesday night's Total Access program, NFL Network's Jason La Canfora threw cold water on a recent ESPN report that (falsely?) indicated the Steelers aren't in any rush to re-sign contract-year linebacker LaMarr Woodley. *The positivity of La Canfora's report was backed up by the Saginaw News on Tuesday.

According to La Canfora, re-signing Woodley remains the Steelers' "No. 1 priority." *La Canfora added that he can envision "no scenario where Woodley is not" a Steeler in 2011, going so far as to predict the Steelers would franchise tag Woodley if such a designation is still available. *La Canfora was adamant that Woodley isn't going anywhere.

The Saginaw News*wasn't quite as strong, but directly disputes ESPN. *According to the newspaper, the idea promoted in ESPN AFC North blogger James Walker's report "doesn't mean the Steelers won't sign Woodley to a new contract. *Once the new collective bargaining agreement is in place, the Steelers are expected to sign Woodley to a multi-year contract."

Granted, no new CBA is imminent. *Woodley could easily wind up playing out this season for his scheduled $550,000 salary, and making it to the winter of 2011 without a long-term contract in place. *However, the latest reports on the organization's feelings about Woodley indicate that he's viewed by the Pittsburgh front office as a building block and potential career Steeler. *Not someone the team is going to let get away.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-top-priority/

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Just got this text from KDKA, after hearing about LaCanfora on NFLN disputing ESPN's report that Wood isn't getting a new deal this year.

Pretty much what we thought here anyways, anybody with any common sense knows that the Steelers aren't going to let Wood get away after he's been such a force in career with us so far.

My Mood
    Impatient
    I hate that its LaCanfora saying he is, that guy is never right

Either way, whether its this offseason or next Woodley will be a Steeler for years to come.

i would lose alot of faith in this teams ability to build a championship roster if they sign 30+ year old harrison to a top dollar OLB deal and let a young monster OLB in woodley just walk away

They'll get something done, but they are not stupid... They know they can't give him a good deal this year because of the salary situation. Sure, they could give him a shitton of guaranteed money, but Steelers don't do that, and Woodley and his agent should know that.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    patriots-hater
    Woodley for life. Harrison won't be around for his full contract if the new Rooks in Worlids and Gibson come around. His lack of size will eventually be his downfall. If our Defense is healthy in the secondary, that makes both Harrison and Woodley more dominant. We only dropped off sacks between them from 27 to 23.5. Imagine if we covered anyone in the 4th quarter how we could have had more.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    No CBA in place is the main factor in the Steelers not resigning Woodley at this point......The salary cap is gone and who knows if a cap will be in place with the new CBA........Plus we don't know if there will be franchise tags in the future.......

I don't see the Steelers letting Woodley go next year when he is a FA.....Hell there might not even be a season next year anyway....lol

Feel safe to buy Woodley jerseys - he is not going anywhere....anyone in need of a Holmes/Parker jersey?????????

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    I hate that its LaCanfora saying he is, that guy is never right

Either way, whether its this offseason or next Woodley will be a Steeler for years to come.

This.....

Quote Originally Posted by roosterray View Post
    Woodley for life. Harrison won't be around for his full contract if the new Rooks in Worlids and Gibson come around. His lack of size will eventually be his downfall. If our Defense is healthy in the secondary, that makes both Harrison and Woodley more dominant. We only dropped off sacks between them from 27 to 23.5. Imagine if we covered anyone in the 4th quarter how we could have had more.
    harrison will probably move inside if worild and gibson turn into studs

worilds/gibson OLB, timmons and harrison MLB and woodley OLB would be perfect.

id actually rather have timmons on the outside and harrison replace farrior right now, that would have them both at more natural positions

Thread Information