Thread: Super Bowl LVI From London, England!

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter

Super Bowl LVI From London, England!

Open Letter to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and His Staff,

It has been discussed more and more lately in league circles that you in particular Mr. Goodell, would like to see the NFL expand beyond the borders of America and even beyond the borders of North America. Let me give you what I feel is the response that more than 80, maybe 90% of pro football fans think of this idea. No. No, no, no, no and no. Are you really so blind as to see what turmoil you could be creating here? This is not about my perceived ethnocentrism or some other form of patriotic stance. This is about common sense and the need for you to listen to the fan base of what is currently the most popular sport in America. Do you really think the majority of fans want to ultimately see some form of 'World Cup' of professional football? They have that already and it's called soccer. Honestly, you mean to tell me you and your minions in New York believe that NFL fans want to watch a bunch of idiots with those ridiculous horns blowing as the Minnesota Vikings take on the Oslo..... Vikings? In a game played in Athens, Greece? I know, I know... You're telling me that is nothing but a pipe dream right now and you are only concerned with continuing to have a regular season game in London, a few Bills' games in Toronto and maybe a pre-season game in Mexico right?

You are not fooling anyone Mr. Goodell. Let me explain this to you. The NFL is our game. It is ingrained in anyone who ever played or ever just flat out enjoys watching it. 'What about those huge crowds in Mexico?' you ask. Let's get something straight. 96% of Mexico roots for the Cowboys and 3% root for the Cardinals or Chargers and 1% root for the Steelers so don't try telling us that it is 'widely' accepted south of the border.
    You may go on to say 'What about the big crowds in London every year?' It's one game Mr. Commissioner!!! Why do you have each team have it's bye-week following this game? It's because of the travel and extra wear and tear on the body, but you you think having a franchise there or in Mexico City would be brilliant don't you? Not to mention the fact you want to move to an 18 game schedule. These men are not machines Mr. Goodell, but I digress. The point of this letter is to make you aware that the general pro football public is NOT, I repeat, NOT in favor of a super bowl anywhere outside the borders of the United States. Can you imagine if after all these years the Detroit Lions finally reach a Super Bowl and guess what Lions fans? You can get a premium super bowl package, tickets included for Super Bowl LXIII in Tokyo, Japan for the low price of $15,000!!! (per person double occupany only)

Stop this nonsense now Mr. Goodell. Football is America, America is football. Our game is unique. It isn't like baseball or basketball which we have so rudely prostituted to the rest of the world. Leave the Super Bowl in America. Haven't enough jobs already left this country?

Marc Uhlmann
    www.steeleraddicts.com

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

I just have to say this better not happen....Football needs to stay here...enough said...i just got heated

SB is not going anywhere, bank on it.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Addicted
    The English wouldn't even have it. Football is an American sport.

It's all about the $$. It's NEVER been about the fans.

great thread, SteelDad!

"Here's an idea! Don't worry about sports and run the ****ing country!!!" - PsychoWard to Obama

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Quote Originally Posted by lloydfan4life View Post
    It's all about the $$. It's NEVER been about the fans.

great thread, SteelDad!
    Thanks! I wonder if Goodell ever hears his minions when they go on tv or sports radio talking about 'making the sport better for the fans' yet Goodell continues to do things that make your statement so accurate. 18 RS games isn't about the fans, it's about money. Continuing to limit the physical nature of the game isn't for fans, it's about money. I sure hope he has someone in that office reading these boards.

I think you should put your letter in an envelope and send it to him.

"Here's an idea! Don't worry about sports and run the ****ing country!!!" - PsychoWard to Obama

Goodell needs to worry more about a lockout next season than playing in other countries. Major league baseball took a huge hit when they were on strike for a year. Fans won't buy jerseys or NFL licensed gear during a lockout. No season means no ticket sales too. Empty stadiums don't pay the bills. The English wouldn't care about american football why does he insist on crap like this.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Quote Originally Posted by lloydfan4life View Post
    I think you should put your letter in an envelope and send it to him.
    Excellent idea! Unfortunately by the time his minions decipher my sarcasm the letter probably wouldn't make any sense to Goodell. In fact, I'm really wondering if he'd get it period.

--- Added 8/2/2010 at 07:26 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by 75Steeler View Post
    Goodell needs to worry more about a lockout next season than playing in other countries. Major league baseball took a huge hit when they were on strike for a year. Fans won't buy jerseys or NFL licensed gear during a lockout. No season means no ticket sales too. Empty stadiums don't pay the bills. The English wouldn't care about american football why does he insist on crap like this.
    The easy answer is just simply money, but I know Goodell is trying to sell the brand globally. You raise some great points that I agree with completely. Many of the pundits believe it will just be a bunch of smack talk until the final days when both sides realize exactly what you're pointing out. Empty stadiums, no jersey sales, no concessions, means no profits. For players, it means a loss of income and more importantly, one more year they won't be able to play the game. Football isn't like the other sports where playing 15 years is very common. Every year is huge for these guys.

lol they would never do that, the uproar from fans would kill them

Thread Information