Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone buy this?

Bookmark and Share
    Starter

Does anyone buy this?

From ESPN insider ...

The Pittsburgh Steelers are quite the injured bunch along the offensive line, with a season-ending injury to Willie Colon first and foremost within that discussion. Recently, the thought has been that the team may target free agent tackle Flozell Adams, but that's not the only possible solution.

Legendary NFL personnel man Gil Brandt participated in a chat on NFL.com Tuesday and brought an interesting idea to the table; namely, that the Steelers could try No. 18 overall pick Maurkice Pouncey at tackle.

"Knowing how they've operated in the past, they'll try to fill from within," Brandt said. "One thing to look for: Although first-round pick Maurkice Pouncey was drafted as a center/guard, he does have the ability to move outside and play tackle. I imagine he will get that chance."

There is a concern here. Similar to the discussion regarding Green Bay Packers rookie Bryan Bulaga getting snaps anywhere but left tackle, it's possible that kicking Pouncey outside will slow his progress at playing on the interior, which is believed to be his long-term future. It's unclear whether his ceiling as a tackle is as high as it is at one of the three spots inside.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure I really see this as realistic

Duke of 531
    if the steelers try to put pouncey at tackle it will be a huge mistake he was drafter to be an interior lineman and should stay there unless there is absolutely no other option....this throwing **** on the wall to see what sticks form of coaching that has began to crop up in the nfl is terrible. if it works the pundits say you're a genius if doesn't you're an idiot ...coaches should play the players where they're best at unless they are left with zero options this is how lots of players get hurt by playing positions they are unaccostomed to...GO STEELERS

My Mood
    patriots-hater
    That's not gonna happen. He's a middle line guy and you can move essex or someone else to tackle.

please tell me what makes him a "middle guy"?

hes played in the middle but hes a silky smooth athlete and at 6-5 and 310+ he has the body of a tackle...now i think hes a pro bowl talent at center, theres no doubt about it but i dont think its out of the realm of possibility for him to kick outside...and its not like it would ruin him, if he struggles he could focus on playing inside again (which is what all failed tackles do)

Essex is a tackle playing guard. Pounce at RG, Essex at RT. Essex isnt great but he's serviceable. though Pouncey could play RT, it would make a lot more sense to throw Essex back to RT and start Pounce at RG.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    How the bout the Steelers stop being such cheap asses and go out and get a FA tackle, suck it up and deal with it. That's what teams do when a void needs filled because of injury or otherwise. Stop the whole musical lineman BS, go find a Tackle and sign him to a 1 yr deal and cut him loose. There's no salary cap, take advantage of it and do the right thing. Shuffling 2nd rate guys around or taking your top draft pick and sticking him somewhere he doesn't belong is pointless.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    They better not do that to Pouncey or they will be messing up big time. Bite the bullit and pay Flozell Adams and then address the need in the next draft and get rid of Flozell then.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    How the bout the Steelers stop being such cheap asses and go out and get a FA tackle, suck it up and deal with it. That's what teams do when a void needs filled because of injury or otherwise. Stop the whole musical lineman BS, go find a Tackle and sign him to a 1 yr deal and cut him loose. There's no salary cap, take advantage of it and do the right thing. Shuffling 2nd rate guys around or taking your top draft pick and sticking him somewhere he doesn't belong is pointless.
    Starks, Kemo, Pouncey, Foster, Flozell .. .make it happen !

Why even bother? You know he's going to be a great center so why move him around. Putting him at tackle is just going to give him another position to learn. Technique is much different at center and guard than at tackle. Stupid article.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    They better not do that to Pouncey or they will be messing up big time. Bite the bullit and pay Flozell Adams and then address the need in the next draft and get rid of Flozell then.
    I agree pay Adams and get him while we can. I got a couple of NFL texts on Wednesday saying that other teams were also looking at Adams. We know he can do the job.

Thread Information