Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pens Free Agency

My Mood
    Addicted

Pens Free Agency

PENGUINS STRENGTHEN DEFENCE WITH MARTIN AND MICHALEK

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed free agent defencemen Paul Martin and Zbynek Michalek to five-year contracts after failing to reach terms with Sergei Gonchar and Dan Hamhuis.

Martin, 29, was viewed as the top two-way defenceman available in free agency, except for Gonchar. He had two goals and nine assists in 22 games with Atlantic Division-rival New Jersey last season, missing most of the year and the Olympics after breaking his left arm Oct. 24 in Pittsburgh.

His most productive season was 2005-06, when he had five goals and 32 assists in 80 games.

Michalek is not a point man on the power play like Gonchar -- he had three goals and 14 assists in 72 games with Phoenix last season -- but plays a lot of minutes and is strong in the defensive zone. His deal runs though the 2014-15 season and averages US$4 million per year.

After the Penguins were eliminated by Montreal in the second round of the playoffs, general manager Ray Shero put an emphasis on improving the team defensively. Michalek, at 27, is nine years younger than Gonchar, who missed more than three-quarters of the Penguins' 2008-09 Stanley Cup-winning season while injured. Gonchar also missed 20 games last season.

Shero traded a third-round pick to Philadelphia for the negotiating rights to defenceman Hamhuis, but he didn't come to terms on a deal before the NHL free agency signing period began Thursday.

Gonchar, who spent the last five seasons in Pittsburgh, signed a three-year contract with Ottawa after the Penguins refused to budge from their offer of two seasons.

Michalek led the NHL in blocked shots with 271 in the 2008-09 season and has 27 goals and 88 assists in 415 career games. He also played for the Czech Republic in the Winter Olympics in Vancouver. He had a career-high 28 points with four goals and 24 assists in 2006-07 with Phoenix.

LINK: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=326250
    Wish Gonchar the best of luck in Ottawa. I will always be a fan of his. Glad to see Shero quickly rebound in bring in two very solid defensemen.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Prosdo View Post
    Wish Gonchar the best of luck in Ottawa. I will always be a fan of his. Glad to see Shero quickly rebound in bring in two very solid defensemen.
    I didn't think Gonchar would be back......But I'm with I will always be a fan of Sergei....He helped this team to two Stanley Cups (winning one) and always seem to come up with big goals at key moments in games (especially on the power play)......

Shero is a very good GM....His track record speaks for itself.....Wish the Pirates could get somebody like him.....

My Mood
    Addicted
    I think with Gonchar gone Gogo will take his place on the power play. Supposedly the Pens are in the mix for winger Ray Whitney, but they don't have a ton of cap room left. So I expect to see some of the young guys from the baby Pens come up and play.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I was really upset when I heard Gonch was gone. He's great on the power play (most of the time) and he's done a lot for the the Pens. However, if he had to go I'm glad they could pick up 2 great players in the process. I wish him luck.

That's a great move, every Pens fan should be ecstatic! Our weakest link last year was the D, now we have the best D we've had in many many years. Best of luck to Gonch but we are younger and stronger in every aspect except on the point on the PP.

Props to the GM! We now have 2 superstars, a franchise goalie, 4 very good D-man and the best 3rd line center in the league who's also a great D-forward. If somehow Shero can pull a winger out of his butt he is truly a God!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    That's a great move, every Pens fan should be ecstatic! Our weakest link last year was the D, now we have the best D we've had in many many years. Best of luck to Gonch but we are younger and stronger in every aspect except on the point on the PP.

Props to the GM! We now have 2 superstars, a franchise goalie, 4 very good D-man and the best 3rd line center in the league who's also a great D-forward. If somehow Shero can pull a winger out of his butt he is truly a God!
    I agree the defense should be much improved next year......Pens drafted a winger in the first round but he is years away from contributing....

Gonchar was good when he was able to play, he was just getting injured too often and getting older for a 3 year deal. It's time to let Gogo and Letang step up,both have a ton of upside and have benefited greatly by playing with and watching Gonch for a few years.With the addition of these other 2 defensemen the Pens should be set for a few years !!

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

My Mood
    Addicted
    Well Ray Whitney was signed by the Coyotes I believe. They are still talking to Billy G seeing if he will come back.

Do we have a chance to get Lee Stempniak than? That would rock!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Mark Eaton is now an Islander. So far no signings today.

Thread Information