Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Batch thinks a lockout is coming

Bookmark and Share
    Rookie Free Agent

Charlie Batch thinks a lockout is coming

Count Pittsburgh Steelers backup quarterback and union representative Charlie Batch as one who believes the owners will lock out the players in nine months.

"As we speak today, I think it would occur in March," Batch said, per Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Batch said he tells fellow players all the time that they should be ready not to play football (and not to collect paychecks) next year.

"I've been telling people for over [a year], warning our players of a lockout, and there are no signs that say we're closer, and we're not," he said. "You can see by the comments from our executive director where he thinks the labor negotiations are. One thing DeMaurice [Smith] has done, he's gotten the message out to the players so they're not hearing it through the media. He's trying to do everything in his power to get a deal done."

Batch said he hopes he's wrong, but he doesn't see a lot of progress being made.

"I would like to think not because nobody wins in that situation," Batch said. "Everybody should be trying to put a fair deal on the table. Both sides have to be honest as possible. It's not happening."

Source: Profootballtalk.com

he'll probably be without a job by then

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think it's painfully obvious unless both sides decide to give some, mainly the owners from what I understand, that we'll be without football for awhile. Right now the owners have the upper hand so why should they budge, in their eyes atleast? Hell they are getting top quality UFA talent for a fraction of what they'd have to pay before, they are getting to keep their RFA's for longer than they would have, they raise ticket prices every year, it's a win win for them all the way around.

i dont think theres any chance they dont get something done...theres a reason this is the most popular sport in america. other sports have all had lockouts and suffered greatly because of it. the owners will lose a TON of money from TV, they make it seem like because of their TV deals they wont, which is true for this year they wont lose anything but the TV companies have a guarantee too and in 3-4 years the owners will be hurting bad, they just wont lose any this year

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i dont think theres any chance they dont get something done...theres a reason this is the most popular sport in america. other sports have all had lockouts and suffered greatly because of it. the owners will lose a TON of money from TV, they make it seem like because of their TV deals they wont, which is true for this year they wont lose anything but the TV companies have a guarantee too and in 3-4 years the owners will be hurting bad, they just wont lose any this year
    This is what ive been wondering as well... Its not like we are talking normal small businesses here. The owners have so much money invested in this, they cant afford not the have the business running. The players will survive easily. They probably have a bunch of cash saved up, and they can always go play in the Arena league or, !!?!?!?, get a "normal" job like the rest of us. Its the owners who are going to go down, and i'll guarantee you this - one year without income from TV, merchandises, tickets etc. half of the owners are going to go broke more or less. They are much more dependent on a new deal that the players, so the lack of urgency from the owners are strange.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

they are trying to play hard ball....the players union and owners are gonna have to comprimise, no way they go with a lockout it would so damaging to all parties that its just not worth it. the owners would be fine because of the guaranteed TV money...until it comes back to bite them because they didnt provide the TV down the line, if they lock out for 1 season, in 3 years they are gonna get hit in the pockets hard

its just not very likely. The hardest part is going to be getting the owners all on one page...after that, I think both sides will realize they can't risk letting anything happen to the best (and most profitable) sport in America and will have come to terms.

the TV deal is for X years, and the owners will be paid for those X years on time. If there's a strike and games don't start right away, the league has to deliver X years-worth of games. So the owners lose out, they just lose out several years down the road when they have to deliver games without receiving TV revenue.
    Last edited by K Train; 06-10-2010 at 08:56 AM.

When does the current TV deal run out anyways? Do the negotiate that every year or how does that work?
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If something is going to get done, it'll be literally an 11th hour thing where they do this marathon session with no sleep for days to finalize a deal. That's how this last one got done, and the players compromised to get that one done. Yes both sides need to give to get it done but the owners still have the upper hand so I'm quite sure they are content to sit back until the last possible second to try and force the hand of the players if they can.

If Goodell wants to protect the shield so much, like he says, then he'll need to get with his owners and assert himself to get this done IMO. Whether or not we actually hear anything of what he does in the background is anybody's guess but you can get he'll be involved in trying to push the owners to give.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    If something is going to get done, it'll be literally an 11th hour thing where they do this marathon session with no sleep for days to finalize a deal. That's how this last one got done, and the players compromised to get that one done. Yes both sides need to give to get it done but the owners still have the upper hand so I'm quite sure they are content to sit back until the last possible second to try and force the hand of the players if they can.

If Goodell wants to protect the shield so much, like he says, then he'll need to get with his owners and assert himself to get this done IMO. Whether or not we actually hear anything of what he does in the background is anybody's guess but you can get he'll be involved in trying to push the owners to give.
    I don't see how the owners have the upper hand here. Its the owners who'll end up being the biggest losers should they not get a new deal done.

Starter
    i am dropping direct tv like a bad habit if this goes down and that makes you start to think of everyone that is impacted .. all the way down to the people who go to bars to watch the games ..

How would this impact the draft??

Thread Information