Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MEADOWLANDS TO HOST 2014 SUPER BOWL

Bookmark and Share
    Westerville, OH now but from Mount Lebanon, PA
    My Mood
    patriots-hater

My Social Networks

Follow StlersGuy On Twitter Add StlersGuy on Facebook Add StlersGuy on Google+ Visit StlersGuy's Youtube Channel

MEADOWLANDS TO HOST 2014 SUPER BOWL

NFL Owners Vote Tuesday For Final Destination Of 48th Super Bowl, To Be Played Feb. 2, 2014

The Super Bowl is coming to the Meadowlands
    NFL owners voted Tuesday to make the new Meadowlands Stadium the site of the 2014 championship game, a historical vote that will bring the biggest sporting event in the country to the tri-state for the first time. It also will be the first Super Bowl played outdoors in the cold.

The final decision came after four rounds of voting. The game will be held Feb. 2, 2014.

New York Jets and New York Giants top brass banded together to push for the big game to come to the tri-state and its brand new football stadium in East Rutherford.

"I want to thank the NFL owners for having confidence in our ability to host this game, for having the guts to wanna make some history," said Giants co-owner Tom Mara. "There's only one New York City and we have a stadium that I think is second to none and we're gonna put forth a tremendous Super Bowl for a memorable Super Bowl week and we're very excited about that."

Owners met in Irving, Texas Tuesday to place their votes for the final decision. Teams decided between East Rutherford, Miami, and Tampa. Miami was dropped off the ballot in the second round, leaving owners to decide between the tri-state and Tampa. There was no hiding the fact that New York's two local teams would be overjoyed if the title game was played in their own backyard.

"I'm very excited about this. I was born in New Burnswick, N.J. To be a Jersey boy, so to speak, and to bring something like this, to be involved in bringing something this big to New Jersey and the New York region is a tremendous thing for all the people that live in our area," said Jets owner Woody Johnson.

When ground was broken for the new Meadowlands Stadium in September 2007, a dream was also revealed: the dream of making the billion dollar project the home to a Super Bowl.

"Man, this is the greatest place in the world to have it. It's bigger than Ringling Bros.," said former Giants Super Bowl MVP O.J. Anderson.

The future tenants of the new stadium may be combatants on the field, but in trying to make the historic endeavor a reality, they joined forces 100 percent.

"It's a great tribute that we got from our partners at the NFL the other owners. They're willing to trust us with something that has never been done 47 times before this," Jets owner Woody Johnson told CBS 2.

"I think we offer something very unique, very special. It's never been done before and I know that the players who I've heard from and who I've seen interviewed are excited. I think New Yorkers are very excited and I think it will make for a great Super Bowl," said Giants co-owner Steve Tisch.

And while many claim by being in New York in February, Mother Nature will wreak havoc on the most-watched sporting event in the world, the Jets and Giants aren't bothered by the prospect for a blinding snow storm or bitter cold temperatures. They say that's football the way it's supposed to be played: in the elements.

"I thought everybody liked to play in the snow, am I wrong?" asked Johnson.

Players loved the idea of being part of a historical event in their home territory, and were already calling for a Jets-Giants matchup.

"I think it's gonna be fantastic. I think in 2014 from our standpoint, we'll be the first ever two home teams to play in a Super Bowl. That's my prediction," said Jets center Nick Mangold.

The big game very well may be colder than the Super Bowl's record low of 39 degrees at kickoff. That came at Tulane Stadium in New Orleans in 1972.

CBS 2's Lonnie Quinn said the average high temperature for Feb. 2 is 39 degrees, while the average low is 26 degrees. With kickoff time set for 6:20, Quinn said the average temperature for that time of the day is 37.4 degrees. Of course, he warns, those temperatures don't factor in the wind chill, and the way the wind blows at the Meadowlands, it could feel much colder.

"We hit the weather issue straight on in terms of our presentation. We acknowledge that the weather in Feb. 2014 may not be perfect. But so what? Some of the greatest games in NFL history have been played in inclement weather, but we'll deal with it," said Super Bowl bid co-chairman Jon Tisch.

Stadium CEO Mark Lamping said the comfort of the fans is being taken into consideration inside the state-of-the-art facility. He said organizers plan to distribute hand and feet warmers, blankets, and perhaps even self-warming seat cushions.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg joined hundreds of Giants and Jets fans in Times Square where NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's announcement was broadcast live on the jumbotron. Bloomberg celebrated with the elated fans and unveiled a new historical street sign named after the city's first Super Bowl.

"We are going to rename 48th Street something that really the world will remember. We're changing the name of 48th Street to 'Super Bowl 48th Way,'" he said.

New Yorkers, tourists, and what seemed like the whole world, really, reacted to the historic news with cheers and hugs when the announcement was made.

"We are so excited! The biggest game in football on the biggest stage in the world? We're so excited," one Giants fan told CBS 2.

Across the river in New Jersey, where the game will actually be played, football fans at Redd's Restaurant in Carlstadt, Gov. Chris Christie included, said they could hardly wait for Super Bowl 48.

"We needed good news in New Jersey for morale and for the economy. Yes, yes, I'm so happy, yes, yes!" one fan shouted.

Mangold was among those celebrating with Jets and Giants fans alike at Redd's.

"I think the people of New York are gonna embrace it and love it and I think it's gonna be a fantastic thing for the city," he said.

The economic impact for both states will be tremendous, bringing hundreds of millions of dollars to two states dealing with massive budget gaps. Christie vowed to be ready for the big event.

"We will be ready, the state has made the commitment. Whatever happens, this is history making. First cold weather Super Bowl coming to the state of New Jersey," he said.

Restaurants in the area want the Super Bowl here because of the revenue potential, they say, and because it will create more jobs, at least for that week.

All four of Bob Sutton's restaurants are a stone's throw away from the stadium.

"I think it would be great for business. How could you not think having hundreds of thousands of additional visitors wouldn't be? IT would be awesome," said Sutton

Jim Kirkos with the Meadowlands Chamber of Commerce estimated the Super Bowl will bring $500 million to the New York Area, and $200 million of that will be spent at hotels and restaurants in North Jersey.

"There are literally thousands of people that travel to the Super Bowl that don't go to the game, but want to experience that and they will experience that from New Jersey where the prices are much less expensive," he said.

CBS 2's Otis Livingston, Rob Morrison, and Christine Sloan contributed to this report.
    Link to story

Maybe you'll keep away a few stuffed shirts that go to the Super Bowl just because it's the thing to do and free up their seat for a few more fans of the game.

My Mood
    patriots-hater

My Social Networks

Follow StlersGuy On Twitter Add StlersGuy on Facebook Add StlersGuy on Google+ Visit StlersGuy's Youtube Channel
    I'm all for it... about time the super bowl comes to a cold weather place...

Just like having the Pro Bowl in FL, it won't be the same....Media day in a snow storm, or ice storm??? That'll suck!!

My Mood
    Fight
    I don't like change and Goddell and his boys are screwing up football, he is one hell of a disciplinarist but running the NFL isn't for him. Yeah Mami SB I think was a failure.
    "Without ME, it's just AWESO"
    and
    "To all the virgins, thanks for nothing"

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazedby92 View Post
    I don't like change and Goddell and his boys are screwing up football, he is one hell of a disciplinarist but running the NFL isn't for him. Yeah Mami SB I think was a failure.
    how is playing a football game in cold weather ruining the game??? a superbowl in the snow would be awesome..... if the weather effects you then you just ain't that good to begin with, the best teams win regardless of the weather.........
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Assistant Coach RIVERS OF STEEL's Avatar
    My Mood
    Where
    Worst NFL decision ever. All the hype leads one to believe this game will be in New York city. Wrong o Bison breath. The meadowlands is a swamp in the shittiest part of New Jersey. Don't worry it will be damn cold and if it snows it will be colder still. The only access to this S hole is the Jersey Turnpike and a couple local roads to downtown New York, you better know your way around here if your an out o towner. Bummer. Good for a Yankee who will enjoy freezin his/her *** off though. Course I could be wrong here. Just hard to believe this. If you are bringing your firearm of choice to the game, just don't carry it into New York. A guy I know i.e. Plaxico tried that and he is now in jail. U kinda get my drift here. Also, the Superbowl is the Bikeweek, Springbreak and Daytona 500 of Pro Football. Would you go to Bikeweek if it were held in Burlington, VT in Feb or Early March? Think not. It cost too much for me to go no matter where it's held so, I'll watch it on the tube and web and enjoy it as always no matter where it's held.
    Last edited by RIVERS OF STEEL; 05-26-2010 at 10:41 PM.

And their fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    how is playing a football game in cold weather ruining the game??? a superbowl in the snow would be awesome..... if the weather effects you then you just ain't that good to begin with, the best teams win regardless of the weather.........
    This! So many good places they could play if they wanted to move it up north once in a while... New England and Washington could easily host a SB as well! I would want Pro Bowl back to Hawaii tho.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    patriots-hater

My Social Networks

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Just like having the Pro Bowl in FL, it won't be the same....Media day in a snow storm, or ice storm??? That'll suck!!
    Who cares about the media... thats the thing I hate most about the super bowl and football is football no matter where it is played cold or warm the game will go on and I will be glad to see it played in the cold for a change..

Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    So many good places they could play if they wanted to move it up north once in a while... New England and Washington could easily host a SB as well
    You can bet your paycheck that Snyder, Kraft, Lerner and others are licking their chops thinking that this is the first step to them getting the SB in their stadiums.

I agree with F- the media. They look at is as a weeks vacation in a warm spot. Let them earn their paycheck.

I actually spent the day in the new stadium a few weeks ago watching college LAX. It really isn't anything great.

Thread Information