Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How the Steelers can survive without Ben

Bookmark and Share
    Tailgate Coordinator

How the Steelers can survive without Ben

How the Steelers can survive without Big Ben.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...t-Big-Ben.html

Talking NFL football over the weekend, I have a sense that we’re too quick right now when it comes to how we view the Steelers without Ben Roethlisberger.

The suspension — which could be a six game penalty — is tough. There’s no way to spin a suspension to a QB, one who can be called a “franchise-level” guy in certain discussions. We know that, and we also know that the AFC North is loaded with upgrades the Bengals and the Ravens made to their rosters.

Start out slowly in the first month and a half of the season and Pittsburgh can forget about any postseason talk.

However, coaches and players in this league don’t have issues with adversity. The suspension to Big Ben will be treated like an injury to a player. Next guy up and get out of the way. Sure, Byron Leftwich and Dennis Dixon are not Roethlisberger. They aren’t the type of QBs who can bail out a defense repeatedly, and they aren’t walking around with two rings.

But they don’t have to be if the Steelers adjust — which they will under coach Mike Tomlin. It is his job to sell this team on playing football with a different style that wins.
    Roethlisberger threw the ball over 500 times last season -- a career high for Big Ben and, in reality, an offense (and a team) that relied on its QB to make plays in the fourth quarter to win games. Can’t happen anymore. This offense will have to become more balanced. There’s not other way around it.

Finding a replacement between Dixon and Leftwich is the first order of business, and for a team that needs an offensive leader, I expect it to be done before the Steelers take the field for their first preseason game. But whomever it is will have to work within the system of the offense, use the running game to set up manageable third down situations and, when he has to, make a play — and get it done.

RB Rashard Mendenhall is a former first round pick — and it’s time that he plays like one. If that means carrying the ball 20-plus times every Sunday — with production — then that’s his role. Everyone on that team will be asked to adapt, to change and to alter they way this team plays.

And that includes the defense. With Troy Polamalu back, I expect Dick LeBeau’s defense to return to a style that doesn’t blow leads in the fourth quarter and can attack at all times — instead of playing back on its heels. This unit will have to force turnovers and will have to set up the offense with a short field to work with. There might be games when they have to score on defense to win. It happens, and they have the talent to do it.

I know it’s only May, and talking about the 2010 season can just be pure speculation. But I don’t see this as speculation when we talk about Pittsburgh. Roethlisberger is gone — for a while — and neither Tomlin, Hines Ward, Ryan Clark, etc. is going to wait around for him.

They have a season to prepare for, and that preparation will have to change for this team to keep pace with the rest of the division. Expect to see new-look Steelers in September.

I'm A "Champion"

That was a nice post , and i agree with the most of it . How is this team gonna respond when Ben isn't around ? He is not gonna be around , so we will get a glimpse of that in the first quarter of the season .
    The defense is gonna play a vital role in how this season transpires. Like it or not , it has to be that way . We are in a rebuilding mode anyway. If Dixon can come in and pick up the slack , and prove that he has grown enough to hold that QB spot , then We made a good draft pick .
    If expectations are too high , and he does not perform , then there will be repercussions too.
    He did do an admirable job in his first chance at the job , but came up a little short . Ben did that same thing , maybe better than anyone . He turned out fine . Well kind of anyway . What Ben did was let the door open for someone else to come in and show what they have to offer this team . Can you picture Ben riden the pine ? It could actually happen .
    I am one that is not tossin Batch out of the mix , but say our team is on a roll without Ben , should we just bring him in to start or really make him win his job back ?
    There are some who don't look at it this way , but Ben is the reason we are in this predicament in the first place .
    We won superbowls without him , and there is no doubt in my mind that we could continue to do so .
    I think the steam must come from a hard hitting , and aggressive defense . Put the quarterback in the background , and go back to the roots. Ben could never come back as far as i am concerned . Would not bother me one bit . You have an excellent defense , and everything else will fit into place .
    Ben riden the pine . SWEET !!!!!!!

--- Added 5/25/2010 at 12:56 AM ---

Not sayin i am against Ben , but he made his job become up for grabs . He has to live with it , and his decisions he made . Unfortunately so do us fans . Reality will set in !

--- Added 5/25/2010 at 03:28 AM ---

Wow , aren't we short on replies . Lets get activated!!!

--- Added 5/25/2010 at 03:31 AM ---

Are you guys dead , or am i alive ? Come on man put in some input .

--- Added 5/25/2010 at 03:38 AM ---

Quote Originally Posted by Gettysburgh_Steel View Post
    That was a nice post , and i agree with the most of it . How is this team gonna respond when Ben isn't around ? He is not gonna be around , so we will get a glimpse of that in the first quarter of the season .
    The defense is gonna play a vital role in how this season transpires. Like it or not , it has to be that way . We are in a rebuilding mode anyway. If Dixon can come in and pick up the slack , and prove that he has grown enough to hold that QB spot , then We made a good draft pick .
    If expectations are too high , and he does not perform , then there will be repercussions too.
    He did do an admirable job in his first chance at the job , but came up a little short . Ben did that same thing , maybe better than anyone . He turned out fine . Well kind of anyway . What Ben did was let the door open for someone else to come in and show what they have to offer this team . Can you picture Ben riden the pine ? It could actually happen .
    I am one that is not tossin Batch out of the mix , but say our team is on a roll without Ben , should we just bring him in to start or really make him win his job back ?
    There are some who don't look at it this way , but Ben is the reason we are in this predicament in the first place .
    We won superbowls without him , and there is no doubt in my mind that we could continue to do so .
    I think the steam must come from a hard hitting , and aggressive defense . Put the quarterback in the background , and go back to the roots. Ben could never come back as far as i am concerned . Would not bother me one bit . You have an excellent defense , and everything else will fit into place .
    Ben riden the pine . SWEET !!!!!!!

--- Added 5/25/2010 at 12:56 AM ---

Not sayin i am against Ben , but he made his job become up for grabs . He has to live with it , and his decisions he made . Unfortunately so do us fans . Reality will set in !

NEVERMIND I STILL HATE THE RAVENS !!!!! You guys are getting boring !

e
    Last edited by Gettysburgh_Steel; 05-25-2010 at 02:01 AM.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel

--- Added 5/25/2010 at 03:38 AM ---

NEVERMIND I STILL HATE THE RAVENS !!!!! You guys are getting boring !
    e

Man it was 3:30 in the morning on a monday night... everyone was in bed. This place usually gets quiet about 12, 12:30.
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    Man it was 3:30 in the morning on a monday night... everyone was in bed. This place usually gets quiet about 12, 12:30.
    I will be sure to set my alarm clock to the early AM hours to reply.

I'm gonna look at the beginning of the season as if Ben was out with an injury. I was not worried in the past when Ben could not start and either Batch or Lefty got the start so I will not panic now.
    I'm more worried about when Ben comes back and how he will handle hostile enviroments with opposing teams fans heckling him while he is on the sidelines. Heck he will not even be able to escape it at home games either especially if we do great without him and we stumble with him when he returns.

Thanks to Zachintosh66 for my awesome website banner!!
    steelersal.com

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Somebody is alittle anxious for the season I see I guess I hit the snooze one too many times this morning and I forgot to wake up and check for just this particular post

The Steelers can survive without Ben, they've done it in the past when he's been out with injuries. If they stay focused, play good defense and ST, you can stay in any game even with a backup QB. The Steelers have long since had good backups behind Ben to step in during a crisis situation and they more often than not respond with good performances.

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Great stuff TG and dead on. However, I am actually more concerned with how they will re-insert Ben into the system. Should be seemless, I know, but these are the kinds of situations from which disasters are made. Granted, heroics are made as well. It remains to be seen how it will unfold for the Steelers.

Survive is the right word for it. We will, barely.

Never too early to get pumped up about the season, sorry just rattling some chains thats all. Did not have to work today , so i was lookin for some action i guess . I like the air of uncertainty that is surrounding this team in 2010 . Makes for some good conversation among all.

Quote Originally Posted by ejsteeler View Post
    Great stuff TG and dead on. However, I am actually more concerned with how they will re-insert Ben into the system. Should be seemless, I know, but these are the kinds of situations from which disasters are made. Granted, heroics are made as well. It remains to be seen how it will unfold for the Steelers.
    Disasters... Like losing 7 games last year. 6 with ben, one without him...

Like that??

My Mood
    Love
    Just play the best football until his *** gets back on the field.

Thread Information