Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the Steelers really go back to smash mouth?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Should the Steelers really go back to smash mouth?

Hines Ward recently said he'd be in favor of a more traditional running offense like we used to have; citing his main reason as that we had 4000 yd QB, 1000 yd rusher, and 2 1000 yd WR's and we still didn't make the playoffs last year. Tomlin has said he wants to get back to running the ball more efficiently in key situations. Colbert has said similar things as well. The offensive line, as we all know, would love to run the ball more often as any line worth it's weight would want.

So the question is, will we really turn back to traditional Steeler football with 3 yds and a cloud of dust, or will be still a pass happy group like last year, or somewhere in the middle? I think Tomlin's comments of running more efficiently in key situations means more than some might think. He knows we need to run but he also knows how effective our offense is in the passing game and how much Ben means to this team through the air. I'm quite certain he won't go completely in the opposite direction either. My best guess is that we'll be somewhere in the middle. There is too much talent on this team catching the ball to just run it all the time and not use those passing options. Ward, Wallace, Heath Miller, and Mendenhall out of the backfield is too tempting to go back to smash it down your throat and then pass when we have too type of deal, if you ask me.

There does need to be more of a commitment to the running game, especially in short yardage, where we all know we sucked last year. Russel was money 2 years ago in that role but when he left so did any short yardage advantage that we had. I would like to see us run more but at the same time we have become so potent through the air that you can't exactly abandon that either. We haven't had balance on this team really since Bettis retired. When Ben joined this team, we could run and pass, and during his last season and the run to SB XL we showed signs of life of becoming a real passing team to compliment his running in short yardage. Either way, there's no way you gather all this talent to throw the ball only to give up and just run again. If we can be balanced and be able to do both, there is no doubt we'll be back in the playoffs this season. If we don't do that we're screwed again.

IMO though, the old style Steeler offense, 3 yds and a cloud of dust, is indeed gone forever. Today's NFL doesn't allow you to just that; it's all about balance.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 05-06-2010 at 04:00 PM.

I'm from the old school, run first, the only coach that owns 4 super bowls, tells it like this, if you pass the ball 50-60% of the time your odds of winning are right at 30%, if you run the ball 50-60% of the time your odds of winning the game are right at 80%, we definately have the weapons to throw the ball, but last year should have told you, 3 1,000 yard recievers, a 1,000 yard back and we watched steelerLESS playoffs, if the emperor Chas is right and you can't doubt him with 4 super bowl titles, then run the ball and control the game, it also gives your defense an advantage

i think we should run the ball more, but i don't have a lot of confidence in bruce arians playcalling. He's a pass first mentality, the red zone play calling was horrible imo. 28tds by air 10 by run or something like that last year. Kugler, new oline coach seems like they will run the ball more but a nice balance of 50/50 would prob. be optimal. Late losses in games last year is where the run game would have helped. I hope Dwyer steps in and is productive.

POKER LEGEND
    the better question should be can they run the ball more effectively.If they can be efficient running the ball im all for it but this o-line has not shown the strength upfront to run the ball.Defensive fronts blew our line up last year during running situations and that a problem.I personally believe if u can give mendy a hole he is gonna cause damage,but he hasnt been getting the holes to run through.

it would be nice to hear some progress on previous picks like Hills and Urbik to see if they are coming along to open up those holes for Mendenhall.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I'm from the old school also, but we are in a pass happy league now i say we need to be balance with our offense depending on the game situation, running to maintain a lead is ok, but if we need to pass to maintain the league then that's what we have to do

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That is another good point, is Arians capable of calling an offense that can be effective both running and passing. How much of our lack of success running is due to poor execution on the field and how much is due to play calling runs that aren't effective. Is the offensive line up to the challenge of actually being able to get out and run block effectively?

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Hines Ward recently said he'd be in favor of a more traditional running offense like we used to have; citing his main reason as that we had 4000 yd QB, 1000 yd rusher, and 2 1000 yd WR's and we still didn't make the playoffs last year. Tomlin has said he wants to get back to running the ball more efficiently in key situations. Colbert has said similar things as well. The offensive line, as we all know, would love to run the ball more often as any line worth it's weight would want.

So the question is, will we really turn back to traditional Steeler football with 3 yds and a cloud of dust, or will be still a pass happy group like last year, or somewhere in the middle? I think Tomlin's comments of running more efficiently in key situations means more than some might think. He knows we need to run but he also knows how effective our offense is in the passing game and how much Ben means to this team through the air. I'm quite certain he won't go completely in the opposite direction either. My best guess is that we'll be somewhere in the middle. There is too much talent on this team catching the ball to just run it all the time and not use those passing options. Ward, Wallace, Heath Miller, and Mendenhall out of the backfield is too tempting to go back to smash it down your throat and then pass when we have too type of deal, if you ask me.

There does need to be more of a commitment to the running game, especially in short yardage, where we all know we sucked last year. Russel was money 2 years ago in that role but when he left so did any short yardage advantage that we had. I would like to see us run more but at the same time we have become so potent through the air that you can't exactly abandon that either. We haven't had balance on this team really since Bettis retired. When Ben joined this team, we could run and pass, and during his last season and the run to SB XL we showed signs of life of becoming a real passing team to compliment his running in short yardage. Either way, there's no way you gather all this talent to throw the ball only to give up and just run again. If we can be balanced and be able to do both, there is no doubt we'll be back in the playoffs this season. If we don't do that we're screwed again.

IMO though, the old style Steeler offense, 3 yds and a cloud of dust, is indeed gone forever. Today's NFL doesn't allow you to just that; it's all about balance.
    i'm all for balance. we definitely need to run more, BUT not to the extent of 70-80% of the game. we have weapons in the passing game and we need to use them. but we need to run a lot more to wear down defenses, control the clock. plus that makes our passing game so much more lethal by setting up the play action. either way, no matter what the game plan, arians needs to stop being so predictable. it seems that defenses know exactly what is coming

I think the team that you are playing dictates what you can and can not do . Some games you might need your passing attack . The next week you might need the running game . A lot of times you might need both . Special teams could easily win you a game one week , and turn around the next week and lose you a game . It is not just run or pass . It involves 3 phases that must be efficient . Defense , offense , and special teams . Not in that order maybe , but you have to be complete in every phase . I think it has been that way 90% of the time forever . If your team is strong in all 3 phases of the game , chances are you will leave town with a win . Defense wins games . Defense loses games on the other hand . Same can be said for each of the phases of the game .I beleive it all starts with the special teams . That is the beginning , and it all goes from there . I think you should have the capability to run wheen needed , pass when needed , or press special teams into play when needed .

Tomlin has said he wants to get back to running the ball more efficiently in key situations

I don't think it's a matter of more..it's the short yardage situations. I believe we were 55%-45% pass/run... with a stronger short yardage we may get to 53-47

Thread Information