Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers return to practice minus Ben

Bookmark and Share

Steelers return to practice minus Ben

Steelers to resume practice minus Roethlisberger
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is not permitted to practice with the team.The Steelers resume spring practices today, apparently without Ben Roethlisberger again.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has not cleared Roethlisberger to rejoin his teammates in their workouts at the team's facility.

The quarterback, however, joined teammates Monday in a round of chilly, wet golf at Southpointe Golf Club in Washington County. Roethlisberger annually plays in the Merril Hoge-Max Starks-Hines Ward charity event, and Monday was no exception.

Roethlisberger has completed the behavioral evaluation required by Goodell as part of his discipline of the Steelers' quarterback that includes a six-game suspension to start the season. That suspension will be reduced to four games, the commissioner said, if Roethlisberger complies with the stipulations handed down by Goodell. One of those was the completion of the behavioral evaluation. Although completed, Roethlisberger could be asked to return for further evaluation or therapy at the recommendation of the professionals who evaluated him.

While the Steelers await his return at some point before they conclude their remaining 12 OTA practices June 10, competition to replace him to open the season resumes today.

Coach Mike Tomlin has said the spring practices mean little in terms of who will start at quarterback and that they mean everything.

Asked on the final day of minicamp May 3 when he will pick a quarterback, Tomlin said, "The purpose of the offseason is to instruct. Organized team activity days are just that. They're for teaching. I'm less concerned about evaluation. Some of the evaluation-oriented things of course can't take place in shorts."

But last week, he was quoted on the Steelers' website that, indeed, he will know his starting quarterback when they open camp.

"In all likelihood, I won't say it, but the decision will be made," Tomlin said.

The only way to base that decision would be from spring OTAs, so this is one evaluation that will be made when the players are in shorts.

Byron Leftwich ran with the first team in minicamp after Roethlisberger ran the first team in the first OTA practices April 19-20 -- before he was suspended and banned from the team facility until further notice. Dennis Dixon ran with the second team and Charlie Batch was third.

Tomlin said all three would get their chances to run the first unit.

"The other guys will be given opportunities, no question," Tomlin said.

The Steelers will practice every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from now until June 10.

Read more: http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com...#ixzz0oHuYsQqw

--- Added 5/18/2010 at 08:44 AM ---

I hope Goodell isn't draging his feet to prove a point to Ben and the rest of the NFL. That wouldn't be fair to the rest of the team or to Ben. You issued a punnishment Goodell now follow through with that to the letter and show everyone how fair and balanced you can be.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    I realize only a little time has passed and BR will still be serving a 4-6 game suspension, but he has completed what has been asked of him. Why not let him participate in OTA's now? If he is called back for further evaluation, then fine, but what good does it do him to comply with Goodell's ruling if he can't be around the very environment he so deperately needs? Sometimes I wonder if these punishments do more harm than good.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Commish is a prick...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Quote Originally Posted by SteelDad View Post
    I realize only a little time has passed and BR will still be serving a 4-6 game suspension, but he has completed what has been asked of him. Why not let him participate in OTA's now? If he is called back for further evaluation, then fine, but what good does it do him to comply with Goodell's ruling if he can't be around the very environment he so deperately needs? Sometimes I wonder if these punishments do more harm than good.
    I agree and if he is doing what Goodell has asked of him then he needs to be allowed to return for OTA's. He is in Pittsburgh one of the world leading towns in medicine he can get evaluations and or treatment and be with his team at OTA's. I was happy to read that he did play in the golf tournament with his teammates.

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Commish is a prick...

sieg heil !!!

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    What ya'll arent excited to see leftwich taking snaps?!
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    What ya'll arent excited to see leftwich taking snaps?!
    BOOOOO
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Addicted
    frankly ben got what he ****ing deserved

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by steeldawgswag View Post
    frankly ben got what he ****ing deserved

It's really time to move on past this.......

Quote Originally Posted by ejsteeler View Post

It's really time to move on past this.......
    As much as I agree w/ dawgs, yes it is time to move on....
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Thread Information