Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Batch

Bookmark and Share

Charlie Batch

Some do not realize the role that he plays in our system . He is just as important in the community , as he is on the side line . Not to mention as a starter for us he is 3-0 . He rarely has had a chance to start , but when he has , he made good with it . Terry Hanratty was the only other Pittsburgh boy to have that chance to do what he has done . To me Batch is way underappreciated , and needs some attention drawn toward him . He is a class act , and has been dependable for the Steelers . When he starts a game , he has made us proud . Granted he only started 3 . We did win all 3 though .
    I think when his carreer is over as a player , we can still find some use for him , for a behind the scenes kind of guy . You go Charlie . Win that starting job !

Quote Originally Posted by Gettysburgh_Steel View Post
    Some do not realize the role that he plays in our system . He is just as important in the community , as he is on the side line . Not to mention as a starter for us he is 3-0 . He rarely has had a chance to start , but when he has , he made good with it . Terry Hanratty was the only other Pittsburgh boy to have that chance to do what he has done . To me Batch is way underappreciated , and needs some attention drawn toward him . He is a class act , and has been dependable for the Steelers . When he starts a game , he has made us proud . Granted he only started 3 . We did win all 3 though .
    I think when his carreer is over as a player , we can still find some use for him , for a behind the scenes kind of guy . You go Charlie . Win that starting job !
    though I agree, for the most part, he wont win the starting job. he will be 3rd string even while Ben is suspended...and 4th (possibly cut) when Ben gets back...remember the NFL is a business. Sometimes it sucks but thats just the way it is...

make him an assistant QB coach or something...

Kind of what i was looking for , and he does have the experince to win the starting job . Is Dixon ready yet ? He would not be the only old man to revive a team . I would trust his experience over Dixon at this point if you compare their carreers . I just don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities to see Batch starting the season for the Steelers . If they are going to commit to the run as they so say , then it makes even more sense to start Batch , and save some packages for Dixon , as he wiggles his way into his role .
    Batch , or Dixon , has got to be the way you approach the season . (for unsaid reasons ) .

Charlie has done a ton for the community. My Mother lives behind Steel Valley High School in Munhall PA where Charlie grew up. She also serves on a Steel Valley business council with Charlie's Mother. Mom brags all the time on what a class act he is and how much good he does for the community and kids. I know people who went to school with Charlie and they have told me what an all around good guy he is. As for his playing abilities, I think he would do fine except his age is starting to catch up with him and he has had a few big injuries. I really want him to stay on with the team after his playing days are over.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Charlie will be another Tomczak, he'll be around as the backup for probably as long as the team will have him. He's a good community presence, a good mentor for the young QB's, a good partner for Ben to have in his corner on the sidelines.

I think he may get the chance he has always dreamed of too . If he is not the starter for our season , then i will be surprised . That would only mean that Dixon is good to go . But i would not be worried if Charlie had a chance to kneel behind the center for one last shot at his dream of playing for the Steelers . He does set a fine example of how to be in the league for so many seasons , and how to conduct yourself as an upstanding citizen , and player off the field also . I love the Batch ! He should have a job no matter if he is cut or not . Won't do any damage to our team or spirit .

he started the last game of the season against baltimore in 2007 and we lost that game 27-21...Im just curious as to where you heard or saw 3-0

Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    he started the last game of the season against baltimore in 2007 and we lost that game 27-21...Im just curious as to where you heard or saw 3-0
    Got it from my head , my memory . Ok 3-1 as a starter then . Still not bad . I never remembered him losing a game as a starter . Sure he started ? Don't be cuttin on Charlie man ! (LOL)

3-0? He lost against the Ravens in 2007 against Troy Smith.

Got it from my head , my memory . Ok 3-1 as a starter then . Still not bad . I never remembered him losing a game as a starter . Sure he started ? Don't be cuttin on Charlie man ! (LOL)
    i remember...Ben was banged up, they wanted to make sure he was fine for the playoffs.

Thread Information