Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger should settle with his new accuser

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger should settle with his new accuser

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/arti...is-new-accuser
    After former Indianapolis Colts receiver Marvin Harrison was sued by the man who claimed Harrison shot him in Philadelphia nearly two years ago, I gave Harrison some free advice, for which he surely got his money's worth.

Settle the case.

Now that Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger faces new sexual assault charges in Georgia, I'll give him some free advice, too.

Settle the case.
    (If the advice wasn't free, I suppose I could double-bill them.)

During a Monday press conference, authorities in Milledgeville acknowledged that the woman accusing Roethlisberger of sexual assault has hired a lawyer. This means that, at some point, she'll sue the two-time Super Bowl-winning signal-caller.
    So the best approach would be for Roethlisberger's lawyers to commence a dialogue with the alleged victim's lawyer and settle the case -- now. Perhaps there's a number north of $100,000 and south of $1 million that she'd take to waive any civil claims and drop her charges. Like Kobe Bryant's accuser nearly seven years ago, nothing takes the steam out of a criminal prosecution faster than a civil settlement.
    (This doesn't mean that sexual assault is not a serious crime. The point here is that the mess has been made, and now Roethlisberger must decide how to clean it up, whether he's guilty or innocent or a little bit of both.)
    The settlement needs to happen soon, before a decision is made to charge Roethlisberger with sexual assault. With a completely confidential settlement that entails an agreement to drop the charges, everyone can move on — and Roethslisberger can continue his career without having to deal with a civil trial like the one he faces in Nevada, or a criminal trial that could, in theory, put him in jail.
    If or when formal charges are filed, it could be too late to salvage Roethlisberger's reputation, and possibly his career. The league and/or the Steelers would be forced to take some type of action in the wake of an indictment, possibly by suspending Roethlisberger until the case is resolved, just as the NFL did when Falcons quarterback Michael Vick was indicted in 2007 on federal conspiracy charges relating to dogfighting and gambling.
    Speaking of Vick, his ordeal would have been much less serious if he'd found a way quickly and cleanly to accept responsibility and move forward. The difference, of course, is Vick couldn't have entered into a civil settlement with his victims; he would have been required to work out a deal with prosecutors regarding potential criminal charges. Roethlisberger has the opportunity to placate his victim with a significant-yet-secret payment of cash, and to avoid any further legal jeopardy.
    To be sure, any resolution of the charges, no matter how confidential, would trigger rumors and/or reports that Big Ben wrote a really big check. But the early moves Roethlisberger has made show he's not necessarily worried about good public relations this time around. Hiring the lawyer who represented Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis 10 years ago on murder charges, for example, invited suspicion that Roethslisberger has opted to try to buy his way out of a problem he created. Given the choice between his image and his liberty, Ben wisely is erring on the side of advancing the interests of the latter.
    So instead of buying a big-time lawyer, why not buy his way out of the problem more directly? Guilty or innocent, the only way to obtain certainty before charges are filed is to dispense justice via the bank account.
    In response to the civil claim of sexual assault made last July in Nevada, a full year after the alleged incident occurred, anger, stridence, and defiance were understandable reactions. In response to criminal charges made on the very evening that the latest incident supposedly happened, Roethlisberger needs to tread more lightly. He faces very real consequences, and instead of fighting tooth and nail, the best approach might be to offer up some dollars and cents.
    It could be the only way Roethlisberger can quickly and decisively turn the page on this latest ugly chapter in his life.
    What is really going on in the head of this F*ck?

Is this guy really serious.... Regardless if Ben did right or wrong having money doesn't gives you the rights to do whatever.
    Last edited by Captcoolhand; 03-10-2010 at 11:33 PM.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Westerville, OH now but from Mount Lebanon, PA
    My Mood
    patriots-hater

My Social Networks

Follow StlersGuy On Twitter Add StlersGuy on Facebook Add StlersGuy on Google+ Visit StlersGuy's Youtube Channel
    People are money happy

My Mood
    saints-hater
    This is a lose lose situation for Ben, there's no right or wrong way to deal with this bullshit. If he drags it on for 2 years it's going to be a distraction on and off the field, not to mention more ammo for all the pass rushers in the league to spit at him while he's taking 1 of his 50 sacks next season to try and knock him off his game. If he settles he's just going to look as guilty as Micheal Jackson did lol and it's going to be a lot harder when he wants to get off the money hungry groupies and try and get himself a real woman with all this **** going down lol.

Lose Lose for Ben, this isn't going to have a happy ending unless we win a Superbowl next season.
    Last edited by Steel Trap86; 03-11-2010 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Trap86 View Post
    Lose Lose for Ben, this isn't going to have a happy ending unless we win a Superbowl next season.
    winning a Super Bowl makes this all better???

"Here's an idea! Don't worry about sports and run the ****ing country!!!" - PsychoWard to Obama

My Mood
    saints-hater
    for the fans of course it would. who is going to hold these bullshit allegations against him if he keeps winning superbowls?! i dont hear anybody saying a damn thing about the other pending assault case after winning the 6th
    Last edited by Steel Trap86; 03-11-2010 at 09:25 AM.

Ben needs to drag his *** to the vets and get clipped! Problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Ben needs to drag his *** to the vets and get clipped! Problem solved!
    ben needs to sit on the bench a while, sweed does for dropping a ball, mendaenhall does for dropping a ball. well Ben doesn't for throwing INT's in the Redzone every other game and we lose. but maybe he needs to sit a while.

let dixon play, maybe we will forget about ben after dixon goes 13-0 .. like ben did at one time a few years back....

I've lost alot of respect for the guy! My son loves him and wants to be just like him. I now have to explain why he's back on the news!

Guilty or not he put himself in this position and I don't feel bad for him.

Problem is he runs the team not Tomlin, what Ben says goes. How many times have we heard Tomlin defend "#7"?? Too many!! Prime example, saving BA his job two years in a row.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Settle? Are you kidding me? I know sexual assault let alone any type of assault is a crime but the way things are starting to look to me this girl is lying. Colon was with Ben he said he didn't really see anything or even remember this girl. Then we have 2 police officers with Ben one of them being a PA state trooper (One of the toughest Law Enforcement Agencies in country to join) They both said they saw nothing and can't remember this girl. This whole thing needs to be dropped. Yeah send Ben to a head Dr. think one of his hundreds of sacks or the wreck knocked something loose.
    DJ Crimefighter @ Insaneradio.us

Quote Originally Posted by lloydfan4life View Post
    winning a Super Bowl makes this all better???
    Yeah I don't see that making a difference either. Sure I'd love SB#7 who wouldn't!

--- Added 3/11/2010 at 09:52 AM ---

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Trap86 View Post
    for the fans of course it would. who is going to hold these bullshit allegations against him if he keeps winning superbowls?! i dont hear anybody saying a damn thing about the other pending assault case after winning the 6th
    The other case has too many holes in it to hold water. She didn't go to the police. She didn't have a rape kit done at a hospital to collect evidence. Then she waited a year to bring it to civil court after the guy wins a Super Bowl. So pretty much everyone thinks or thought that was bull. I hope Ben is innocent of both but it will be a long up hill battle for him to fight both of these situations if he wants to prove his self in court and clear his name the right way.

Thread Information