Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger guilty of poor judgment

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Chatty

Roethlisberger guilty of poor judgment

I know we've beaten this subject to death and we won't know till after the investigation but this article is what this all really boils down to......

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10066/1040950-87.stm

Sunday, March 07, 2010
    By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

That latest sexual-assault allegation against Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger?

I have great faith in our legal system. It will determine if Roethlisberger should be charged -- let alone found guilty -- as the result of an alleged incident early Friday morning with a 20-year-old college student at a dance club in Milledgeville, Ga. Until the case is resolved, I'm presuming Roethlisberger's innocence. All of us are presumed innocent until proven guilty, right?

This is a great country, America.

But I don't have to wait for the legal proceedings to fully take their course for me to pronounce Roethlisberger guilty of poor judgment.

What was he doing at a club -- a college bar, by all accounts -- at 2 a.m.?

The man turned 28 Tuesday.

Please, spare me the e-mails that Roethlisberger is an adult, entitled to spend his time away from football as he wishes. I won't disagree. But I will argue that any public figure, if he is smart, freely gives up some of that right because he knows how much he has to lose if he ends up in the wrong place at the wrong time. There is only trouble out there at 2 a.m. That is especially true for someone with Roethlisberger's high-profile status.

I don't know what happened at the Capital City club in Milledgeville and won't even begin to speculate one way or the other. Investigators will determine what took place and decide if charges against Roethlisberger are warranted. But I do know that any big-time celebrity can't be too careful in public even if he is accompanied by friends, as Roethlisberger was Thursday night into Friday morning, according to Milledgeville police. There's always the chance of running into a guy who, perhaps bolstered by alcohol, is willing to challenge his toughness. There's also the chance of meeting a woman who is looking to capitalize financially on his fame.

Sadly, not everyone in this world has honorable intentions.

Other high-profile NFL quarterbacks seem to get that. When is the last time you heard of Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Brett Favre or Drew Brees making the kind of headlines that Roethlisberger did Friday? The other sports stars in town also get it. When have the Penguins' Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin or Marc-Andre Fleury been linked to any kind of controversy? Or the Pirates' Andrew McCutchen, for that matter?

It's time Roethlisberger gets it, as well. It's time he grows up. He's no kid anymore. He needs to realize he's not just representing himself in public settings but also his family, the Steelers and his teammates.

I said it about kicker Jeff Reed last fall after he was involved in two alcohol-related incidents that resulted in police charges and I'll say it now about Roethlisberger, who has been accused of sexual assault for the second time in eight months: He has brought shame and embarrassment on the Steelers. We're talking about an organization that, in Roethlisberger's case, has invested $102 million in him and made him the face of the franchise. It's not hard to imagine the disappointment and anger that team president Art Rooney II and coach Mike Tomlin must have felt when they heard about Roethlisberger's situation Friday. It's also not hard to imagine that anger turning to fury if Roethlisberger is charged and then perhaps suspended by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for conduct unbecoming of a pro football player. Goodell doesn't have to wait for a player's guilt or innocence to be determined to take such action.

But forget about what this incident could do to the Steelers. That seems irrelevant compared with what it means to Roethlisberger. Even if he isn't charged, he still loses. His reputation has taken another big hit. There will be damage even if he is cleared of all wrongdoing.

It was in July, right before the Steelers reported to training camp in Latrobe, that Roethlisberger first was accused of a sexual assault. A Nevada woman made the claim in a civil lawsuit, saying he raped her in July 2008 at a Lake Tahoe resort where he was appearing in a celebrity golf tournament. The woman worked as a hostess at the Nevada resort and said she didn't go to police after the alleged incident because she was "afraid of the consequences."

Roethlisberger showed up at the Steelers' South Side headquarters three days after the woman's allegation made national news and vehemently denied it, using words such as "false," "vicious," "outrageous" and "reckless."

The suit still has not been resolved.

"I would never, ever, force myself on a woman," Roethlisberger said that July day on the South Side.

Now, the man's word is being challenged again. This time, the woman immediately went to the police, then was treated at a local hospital.

The investigation continues.

No matter how that turns out, a lot of people won't ever look at Roethlisberger the same way again

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10066...#ixzz0hhVf4mzi

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

I agree ....We have a proud franchise here that have gotten bad publicity last 2 yrs. Ben is a moron off the field and a clutch QB on the field. I wonder if this will change there draft from a guard to Tebow hard nose kid with a good character.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Vet View Post
    I agree ....We have a proud franchise here that have gotten bad publicity last 2 yrs. Ben is a moron off the field and a clutch QB on the field. I wonder if this will change there draft from a guard to Tebow hard nose kid with a good character.
    May I please have some of what you are smoking?

Starter
    Yeah, I'll say it again...Tim Tebow=Nice Guy.....definitely not an NFL starting qb, or even backup for that matter......I hope this thing with Ben turns out to be nothing, because he is a hell of a player, he just needs to have a wake up call of some sort. Who knows though, some people can only learn the hard way....

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Fine
    Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Drew Brees, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Marc-Andre Fleury, and Andrew McCutchen all have one thing in common (at least according to the websites that I saw before posting this) and that is that they're married.

So Ben needs to settle down and get married, and stay HOME, or only go out with his WIFE instead of a bunch of drunk buddies.

Tailgate Coordinator
    When did Sidney and Evgeni get married?

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Amazed
    i think we all pretty much agree that Ben has won the Dumb Award for the last few off seasons and that he has little to no regard to the Steeler organization, the fans or his teammates but as long as he wins football games and brings home trophys, I really don't care that he loves ruining his reputation, just win the damn games. Last time I knew he was the highest paid qb in the NFL and when he stops producing on the field the Steelers will get rid of him
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Fine
    Sorry, turns out the Sidney one was a hoax--in fact, everything I'm finding about Sidney is that he "might" be gay? Which of course would explain why he's never had a woman accuse him of anything...lol

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07179/797957-383.stm

EVGENI MALKIN'S SUMMER HAS BEEN MORE EVENTFUL THAN YOURS

Evgeni Malkin laughs at how boring your summer is.
    EN's best fan in Kazakhstan, Bolatbek Zhainazarov, found an item about Evgeni Malkin from what looks like a Russian celebrity gossip Web site. Bolatbek even offered a translation:

"Evgeni Malkin found himself a bride

It looks like a 20-year old hockey player Evgeni Malkin, a forward of an NHL club Pittsburgh Penguins, has decided to get married. At least that's how the rumor has it in his native town of Magnitogorsk. His girl-friend is a 24-year old Oksana Kondakova who is at present divorcing her current husband.
    The famous hockey player came to his native town from America during the off-season. They say, he wanted to see his girl-friend really bad. A Komsomolskaya Pravda correspondent found out who the girl is.
    A 24-year old Oksana works as an administrative assistant at a construction company. It is also known that she is in the process of divorcing her current husband, a well-known local businessman. She met (Malkin) when he was playing for the Russian national squad. They met in a night club called The Pyramid. When Malkin left for America causing one of the biggest scandals in hockey in the past few years, Oksana waited for him for nine months. The love-birds would stay in touch constantly writing emails and calling each other.
    They say that Malkin is pretty serious about his plans. Soon the couple is going to Paris. Who knows may be a trip to the French capital is a wedding present...
    When asked if Zhenya had already proposed, Oksana answered that she would give all details only after her divorce is finalized."

So not sure if he went through with it or not, and I'm too tired to keep looking--but that's the info that I found on those two. But even if they're not (or one's gay) it still seems to be that the majority of them that were mentioned are married.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Ben is certainly guilty of poor judgement and being a dumb ***. After the accusations he was facing previously he needs to be smarter about going out and who he is with. Crosby, Geno, and all them don't have these problems because they know better. Ben needs to grow up.

Ben , Ben , Ben

Being a Steeler fan for 36 years like i have been is hard lately . Our proud franchise is about more than one player . You can not bring shame onto the terrible towel , and you can't bring shame on the Steeler organization . So much has been said on this subject , that i don't know what else to touch on . I want to be quick to point out that i am not judging , but that man has got to know how much the city and fans respect him . The thing that needs to happen , is Tomlin must get control of this team . If a man has 108 million dollars , and can not find a woman without force , then there is a red flag waving !
    We , our team should not be in the media about anything like this . I'm sorry . Whether he did , or did not is not the point . The point is , that it is all over the media .I just don't understand what is going through his mind . I want this over . If it is a prank i will be so happy . If it is not send his *** packing . We thrived without him , and we will continue to do so .One man does not have the right to bring down a whole team . So sad that this could even go this far . I'm just venting because i am so sad about this . Tomlin has the key . What would Chuck have done ? Straighten up and fly right , or we will trash your contract . There is a lot to question about his charactor now . That should never even be considered from a franchise player like Ben . Come clean , and the truth will set you free .

Thread Information