Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cowher Has No Interest in N.C. State Job...

Bookmark and Share

Cowher Has No Interest in N.C. State Job...

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer

4 hours ago

PITTSBURGH - Bill Cowher is not interested in coaching alma mater North Carolina State, even though the Super Bowl-winning Pittsburgh Steelers coach has only one season left on his contract.

Cowher, a former NC State linebacker, has seen his name mentioned prominently in speculation since Wolfpack coach Chuck Amato was fired last weekend.

Asked if he had any interest in going back to his former school, Cowher said, "No."

"I've been getting a lot of contacts about it; I've heard about it," Cowher said Wednesday. "But I've got a job here."

Cowher and his family bought a luxury home in Raleigh less than a year ago, adding to the rumors he might be ready to leave Pittsburgh. Cowher's wife and youngest daughter are living in Raleigh this season, while his other two daughters are attending Princeton University.

"I'm very flattered to hear some of the things that have been coming out, but I'm not a candidate," Cowher said. "I have a job here and my focus really is on this job right here, so you can take me off the list."

Cowher did not suggest any possible replacements for Amato, who had a 49-37 record while leading NC State to five bowl games in seven seasons.

"It's a super program and I'm sure that they'll get a very qualified coach who's going to walk into a good situation," Cowher said.

While denying interest in North Carolina State, Cowher has yet to clarify his status with the Steelers beyond this season. Previously, he always signed a contract extension whenever his Steelers contract had two seasons remaining.

But he did not do so last summer, despite being offered an extension by the Steelers, and he apparently won't decide whether he will return in 2007 until after this season ends. Cowher is in his 15th season, the longest tenure with the same club by an active NFL head coach.

Cowher suggested the Steelers' struggles haven't left him time to worry about his coaching future. The Steelers (4-7), coming off a 27-0 loss Sunday in Baltimore, are in danger of having the worst record by a returning Super Bowl champion since the Denver Broncos went 6-10 in 1999.

"I'm the coach here _ as much as that may disappoint some people _ but I am the coach here and I want to win these last five games," Cowher said. "I'm going to do everything in my power to do that. I've been here for a while and I like it. It's a good job. I don't like the way we are right now and I'm going to do everything in our power to finish this thing up strong."

Despite being an NFL assistant or head coach for 21 years, Cowher did not rule out coaching in college someday.

"I don't know. I don't look that far down the road, I really don't," he said. "I guess those are times when you get in that reflective mode. The only thing I'm reflecting on now is that feeling we had after last Sunday's game and trying to rectify that. That's where the focus is at."

Still, even if Cowher decided he wanted to coach college ball at some point, he almost certainly couldn't command the money he makes now.

Cowher is being paid about $4.5 million by the Steelers, a figure he probably could double by retiring, sitting out a year or two and then returning to coach an NFL team willing to spend big for a proven winner. No college coach makes close to $8 million to $9 million per season.

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops ($3.45 million) is believed to be the only current major college coach who is guaranteed more than $3 million per season.

Let the speculation begin.....

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

My Mood
    Amazed
    I never seriously did believe he was leaving, but it is all about money. So we will see.
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Would you expect him to say anything else?

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Cowher knows how to handle the media and say as little as possible. Im sure he's not going to take the NC State job..he'll either come back or retire for awhile.

House of Steel
    Well I glad he settled that speculation. Of course, who would leave Pittsburgh for a college coaching job?

cowher knows how to bullshit the media...he wouldnt tell....EVER

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by House of Steel View Post
    Well I glad he settled that speculation. Of course, who would leave Pittsburgh for a college coaching job?

One who has a wife, kids and multi million dollar home in north carolina. Who seems to lost his fire after winning the ultimate prize.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    I thought Butch Davis(ex-coach of the Browns) took that job in N. Carolina Maybe it was S. Carolina
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

House of Steel
    It was South Carolina I believe, bud. I don't know what to believe anymore, but K-train is right, he does sometimes blindside the media. We will have to wait and see what happens I guess.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    It was N.Carolina, just not N. Carolina State I knew it was 1 of the 2
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Thread Information