Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Willie Colon could be gone?

Bookmark and Share

Willie Colon could be gone?

Colon's agent hopes to catch a whiff of a trade

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 3, 2010 10:23 AM ET
    We noted yesterday that it wouldn't be that crazy for a team to consider giving up a first-round pick to sign restricted free agent Willie Colon away from the Steelers.

Colon's agent, Joe Linta, unsurprisingly agrees."We really don't know if he fits in their [long-term] plans," Linta told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "If you have the fifteenth pick and you need a starting offensive lineman, why wouldn't you do it [make a trade]? You hope your draft pick is good. With Willie, you know what you're getting."
    Linta calls Colon the best young right tackle in football. While that notion may seem a little wacky, he's got some numbers to back it up.
    We don't expect Colon to sign an offer sheet elsewhere, but he's one of the few quality restricted free agent quality starters that could legitimately draw interest.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    Id be ok with it... we'd get another first rounder... one of those would def have to be a OT tho.
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Starter
    potential for a VERY rough transition period ..

If we get a first rounder, as the Steelers organization I couldnt see how you dont make that move.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityKid5 View Post
    If we get a first rounder, as the Steelers organization I couldnt see how you dont make that move.
    because we would be getting rid of a quality right tackle just to end up drafting another tackle who might not pan out....we dont know where the pick would be and who would be there...I dont know

My Mood
    Impatient
    There are a few guys that could be starting RT's year 1, so I am not too worried, a first rounder usually signs for 5 years so we could have a starting RT for 5 years, that would be sweet.

Quality tackle... riiight

hes our best lineman...not sure what some of you guys have against him....a holding or a false start every now and then? hes not THAT bad with it. hes a top RT and i cant believe it but a 4th round pick of ours panned out. a team would get a good player and if a team wanted a BADASS guard they could also do that. SF is in desperate need of a RT, that would be ****ing sweet, they have 2 first round picks. but some one would not be out of their mind to do it, and it would hurt us but i love the idea of having 2 first round picks haha

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityKid5 View Post
    logic shows we would get two 1st round picks if colon leaves.

we would have to spend what... $10-20mil signing bonuses for both 1st's the first year? plus the salaries.

we lose colon.. because we dont have cash to pay him? we get a rookie OL in the 1st

we lose clark because we dont have cash to pay him? should we tender clark? he would seem to have more value for a first round tender... or cant we do that.

if clark leaves and we get nothing, we will need to get a rookie safety in the first at #18, could be Thomas..

so there is money on one side of the story for 2 1st rounders.... but the other side says we can't afford to re-sign colon and clark to good contracts because of cash and cap?

then the other teams out their seem to sign everyone, the bengals are looking to sign TO... they have Palmer, Ocho, TO... etc. and a few more FA's . they seem to have no salary cap..

its confusing...
    Last edited by coldrolled; 03-03-2010 at 08:15 PM.

It is confusing but I'd take it. Again, that's just me.

Thread Information