Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: dif point of view for draft

Bookmark and Share
    Banned
    I love me some C.J. Spiller at 18...

No, runningback is not the biggest need but C.J. Spiller is WAY too special to not be considered...If Earl Thomas is gone by 18, I would love the pick to be Spiller...I love everything about him...If Spiller and Iupati were both on the board at 18 and we picked Iupati, I would cry(definitely not tears of joy)...I like Iupati but nowhere near as much as I like Spiller...he just makes too much sense...He would sure up a bunch of aspects in the steelers game...perfect complement to Rashard, elite KR & PR, tremendous 3rd down back with exceptional hands, runs hard, hes a homerun threat everytime he touches the ball, and he would create a whole new dimension to our offense....

I would take Spiller at 18 over almost everyone but Earl Thomas(leaving out the obvious ones like Berry and McClain)...Too bad hes most likely gone by 18....

--- Added 2/28/2010 at 11:34 PM ---

How about Sean Weatherspoon putting up 225 34 times? damn thats impressive...watch out for him

some other notable players:

Rolando McClain - 24
    Segio Kindle - 25
    Brandon Graham - 31
    Gerald McCoy - 23
    Ndamukong Suh - 32

--- Added 2/28/2010 at 11:38 PM ---

And on another note, just if anyone is curious...

Earl Thomas:

Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 208
    Arm Length: 31 1/4
    Hand Size: 9 3/8
    Last edited by Big T; 03-01-2010 at 01:29 AM.

My Mood
    Fine
    Sean Weatherspoon is looking good.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyRob68 View Post
    Sean Weatherspoon is looking good.
    He's growing on me more and more everyday....I like him in the first...he's got value at 18but i think we could trade back a few and still snag him....He's a lot stronger than i thought he was...I like his attitude too:

NFL/The Combine: Missouri linebacker Steelers kind of player
    Monday, March 01, 2010
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

INDIANAPOLIS -- Sean Weatherspoon seems like a natural fit at inside linebacker for the Steelers. He chatters like Larry Foote, has played behind Ziggy Hood and even knows the difference between the buck and mack positions in their 3-4 defense.

And, like Hines Ward, he is smiling all the time.

"That's my thing, always talking, always having a good time," said Weatherspoon, a Missouri linebacker and one of the top inside prospects at the NFL Scouting Combine. "I love football. It's not a right to play football. It's a privilege. The good Lord has blessed me with that privilege to be here, and I am excited. "

He might get another privilege: Eventually replacing James Farrior at inside linebacker in the Steelers' defense.

Of all the positions the Steelers might want to address in the NFL draft, perhaps none is in more need of attention than inside linebacker where Farrior, their captain, is 35 and without a young replacement behind him. That became even more apparent after nose tackle Casey Hampton, who will be 33 in September, signed a three-year, $21.3 million contract last week.

Weatherspoon is not considered the top linebacker in the draft. Right now, that distinction belongs to Alabama's Rolando McClain (6 feet 31/3, 254 pounds), who is bigger than Weatherspoon (6-1 1/4, 239) and played in the 3-4 defense in college with the national champion Crimson Tide.

But McClain might not get past the New York Giants, who have the 15th overall pick in the draft and are looking for a replacement for Antonio Pierce. Because of his size, McClain could also play middle linebacker in a 4-3 defense.

"I think me playing under coach [Nick] Saban kind of gave me an advantage, especially playing in his 3-4," McClain said. "His 3-4 is so complicated. He's coach Saban. He's one of the best defensive minds. I learned so much from him."

The Steelers have the 18th overall pick and, if they don't have a shot at McClain, might consider Weatherspoon, who played with last year's No. 1 pick -- Ziggy Hood -- at Missouri. Weatherspoon finished with more than 400 career tackles with the Tigers and is considered an inside linebacker in the 3-4 because of how well he runs to the ball.

Other teams, though, are looking at him as an outside linebacker in a 4-3 defense. Not the Steelers, who met with Weatherspoon Friday night.

"Coach [Mike] Tomlin said he saw me fitting in at either the mack or the buck," Weatherspoon said, referring to the positions played by Farrior (buck) and Lawrence Timmons (mack) in the Steelers' defense. "He was saying inside, that is what he talked about. I don't have a problem with that.

"If I've got to do the dirty work and take on the linemen to free up the other players for them to make plays, then I am all about that. I am all about just being a team guy and taking care of business."

And what if he got to play behind Hood again?

"That would be cool," Weatherspoon said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10060...#ixzz0guFCA8JF

yeah weatherspoon is growing on me, we would have some sick 43 personell but hes more a SAM and timmons is a WILL so playing next to each other in the middle wouldnt be too farfetched

Banned
    I don't know man...there's a lot of guys I like this year...but as long as we don't draft Taylor Mays, Bruce Campbell, Charles Brown, Dan Williams(he's not bad), or Mike Iupati(I think he will be good but just not what I want to spend the 18th pick on) in the 1st, I should be ok...

i dont think i see myself getting evander hood-pissed in the first round this year

mays would do it though, brown would do it....im not sure campbell would do it because i do think hes gonna be good, just not right away. pissed but not hood-pissed

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    yeah weatherspoon is growing on me, we would have some sick 43 personell but hes more a SAM and timmons is a WILL so playing next to each other in the middle wouldnt be too farfetched

Yeah, he did real well for himself yesterday. He was fast and strong!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Starter
    is trent williams growing on any1?

trent williams is a RT right now, hes not so much of a RT that he cant play on the left one day unlike guys like gosder cherilus who you can pretty much write off as a LT, williams can play on the left maybe a few years down the line but theres no point in drafting him unless we bump colon inside...in which case im all about it

Quote Originally Posted by darnik44 View Post
    You really can't look at the draft this way. The Steelers are not going to be making a decision of what position they draft in the first round. They will be choosing a player, not a position. They will take the best player available on their board. Their board will be stacked based on a mix of need, talent, and other variables like positional depth of this class.

The pick, and the position of the pick will depend on what happens in the first 17 pick (barring a trade up or down obviously).

I think their draft board will look something like this...

1. Ndamukong Suh, DT/DE, 6-4, 305, Nebraska
    2. Eric Berry, S/CB, 5-11, 195, Tennessee*
    3. Gerald McCoy, DT, 6-4, 295, Oklahoma*
    4. Russell Okung, OT, 6-5, 300, Oklahoma State
    5. Rolando McClain, ILB, 6-4, 250, Alabama*
    6. Joe Haden, CB, 5-11, 185, Florida*
    7. Dan Williams, DT/NT, 6-3, 312, Tennessee
    8. Bryan Bulaga, OT, 6-6, 305, Iowa*
    9. Anthony Davis, OT, 6-6, 330, Rutgers*
    10. Earl Thomas, S/CB, 5-10, 190, Texas#
    11. Bruce Campbell, OT, 6-7, 295, Maryland*
    12. Mike Iupati, OG, 6-5, 330, Idaho
    13. Jared Odrick, DT/DE, 6-5, 308, Penn State
    14. C.J. Spiller, RB, 5-11, 190, Clemson
    15. Terrence Cody, DT/NT, 6-5, 368, Alabama
    16. Kyle Wilson, CB, 5-10, 190, Boise State
    17. Golden Tate, WR, 5-11, 195, Notre Dame*
    18. Mardy Gilyard, WR/KR, 6-1, 192, Cincinnati
    19. Maurkice Pouncey, C/OG, 6-5, 312, Florida*
    20. Brandon Spikes, ILB, 6-3, 245, Florida
    21. Chad Jones, SS/FS, 6-3, 218, Louisiana State*
    22. Sean Weatherspoon, OLB/ILB, 6-1, 235, Missouri
    23. Trent Williams, OT/OG, 6-5, 305, Oklahoma
    24. Dez Bryant, WR, 6-2, 210, Oklahoma State*
    25. Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, 6-2, 270, Michigan
    26. Devin McCourty, CB, 5-11, 186, Rutgers
    27. Derrick Morgan, DE, 6-4, 270, Georgia Tech*
    28. Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, 6-2, 242, Texas Christian
    29. Charles Brown, OT, 6-6, 300, Southern California
    30. Donovan Warren, CB, 6-0, 185, Michigan*
    31. Arrelious Benn, WR/RB, 6-2, 215, Illinois*
    32. Jahvid Best, RB, 5-10, 195, California*
    33. Sergio Kindle, OLB/DE, 6-4, 238, Texas

Realistically, one of the bolded players is most likely to be the pick (barring a trade up or down). Player above or below would be in the "trade zone."
    I see us getting the player who drops the furthesdt from what he was projected (ie: Rashard Mendenhall in 08) While i agree with your "draft zone" thoery whole heartedly, CJ spiller is the only player, in you "draft zone" i like at 18! That would make me VERY happy. Any one else can be traded back for! I REALLY think, unless someone falls dramatically (ex: Spiller, McClain, Bulaga etc.) i see us trading back and taking Cody or an ILB.

Thread Information