Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dif point of view for draft

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel

dif point of view for draft

Im very curious to see this years draft process unfold. With verbal pressure from the FO to the coaching staff to process our young guys more quickly, do we go:

OT: Seems logical, to most. But they seem pretty loyal to Starks and Colon, but both are FA. If we lose one this may turn out to be a very important priority.

OG/C: They have said they dont plan on moving Colon inside which leaves a gap at RG where an immediate impact could be seen but prolly only in the form of Iupati. C could use an upgrade but after Hartwig signed a deal last year I dont think they are too concerned to spend a high pick on this area.

DT: Do we draft someone high just to sit and wait till they cut Casey or until he plays out his new contract?

ILB: Farrior, old? Yes. Losing it? Perhaps. He is still the "QB" of our defense and still the leading tackler. Do we trade up for McCain just to have him stand around and wait to play? Or wait for Spikes for the same thing?

CB: prolly has the chance for the biggest postional impact on our team this year. But DB's are pretty deep this year we could address another postion and still land a playmaker in the 2nd or 3rd round.

S: Potential for an upgrade here, but the player prolly wouldnt start the year #1. Everyones demigod Troy even had to sit a year to learn the system. There a 3 potential "Elite" players on the board and are pretty solid into the mid-rounds. We could address other area first as well.

RB: We are losing Parker, word is he isnt even gonna get an offer. So can Moore step in and be a solid #2. Or do we pull the trigger on a back early to compliment Mendy?
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

My Mood
    Impatient
    Good thoughts, the only thing is Starks signed a 4 year deal before last season, so he is around 3 more seasons.

You really can't look at the draft this way. The Steelers are not going to be making a decision of what position they draft in the first round. They will be choosing a player, not a position. They will take the best player available on their board. Their board will be stacked based on a mix of need, talent, and other variables like positional depth of this class.

The pick, and the position of the pick will depend on what happens in the first 17 pick (barring a trade up or down obviously).

I think their draft board will look something like this...

1. Ndamukong Suh, DT/DE, 6-4, 305, Nebraska
    2. Eric Berry, S/CB, 5-11, 195, Tennessee*
    3. Gerald McCoy, DT, 6-4, 295, Oklahoma*
    4. Russell Okung, OT, 6-5, 300, Oklahoma State
    5. Rolando McClain, ILB, 6-4, 250, Alabama*
    6. Joe Haden, CB, 5-11, 185, Florida*
    7. Dan Williams, DT/NT, 6-3, 312, Tennessee
    8. Bryan Bulaga, OT, 6-6, 305, Iowa*
    9. Anthony Davis, OT, 6-6, 330, Rutgers*
    10. Earl Thomas, S/CB, 5-10, 190, Texas#
    11. Bruce Campbell, OT, 6-7, 295, Maryland*
    12. Mike Iupati, OG, 6-5, 330, Idaho
    13. Jared Odrick, DT/DE, 6-5, 308, Penn State
    14. C.J. Spiller, RB, 5-11, 190, Clemson
    15. Terrence Cody, DT/NT, 6-5, 368, Alabama
    16. Kyle Wilson, CB, 5-10, 190, Boise State
    17. Golden Tate, WR, 5-11, 195, Notre Dame*
    18. Mardy Gilyard, WR/KR, 6-1, 192, Cincinnati
    19. Maurkice Pouncey, C/OG, 6-5, 312, Florida*
    20. Brandon Spikes, ILB, 6-3, 245, Florida
    21. Chad Jones, SS/FS, 6-3, 218, Louisiana State*
    22. Sean Weatherspoon, OLB/ILB, 6-1, 235, Missouri
    23. Trent Williams, OT/OG, 6-5, 305, Oklahoma
    24. Dez Bryant, WR, 6-2, 210, Oklahoma State*
    25. Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, 6-2, 270, Michigan
    26. Devin McCourty, CB, 5-11, 186, Rutgers
    27. Derrick Morgan, DE, 6-4, 270, Georgia Tech*
    28. Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, 6-2, 242, Texas Christian
    29. Charles Brown, OT, 6-6, 300, Southern California
    30. Donovan Warren, CB, 6-0, 185, Michigan*
    31. Arrelious Benn, WR/RB, 6-2, 215, Illinois*
    32. Jahvid Best, RB, 5-10, 195, California*
    33. Sergio Kindle, OLB/DE, 6-4, 238, Texas

Realistically, one of the bolded players is most likely to be the pick (barring a trade up or down). Player above or below would be in the "trade zone."
    Last edited by darnik44; 02-28-2010 at 07:24 PM.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Best player available is always the best way to go......That is why I wouldn't be against Spiller or Dez Byrant at 18 if one them two were best available........

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Best player available is always the best way to go......That is why I wouldn't be against Spiller or Dez Byrant at 18 if one them two were best available........
    This is generally the approach of every team. It's easier to cross off positions that won't be drafted in the first than it is to pick what position the pick plays. Cross off QB, FB, TE, SS, K, P, and probably OLB off the list. That leaves RB, WR, OT, OG, C, DE, NT, ILB, FS, and CB as possibilites.

wouldnt mind graham so i dont think OLB should be crossed off

By Jim Wexell
    Publisher SteelCityInsider.com
    Date: Feb 27, 2010

The coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers intends to improve the run game, and to that end he's eyeballing a massive Samoan road-grader, Iupati.

My Mood
    Fine
    I wouldnt be surprised if they take Sean Weatherspoon. He can play ILB or OLB. He's starting to look like the logical choice and it covers 3 needs, ILB,OLB & Special Teams. He can learn Behind Farrior and Replace him mid season if needed Or Move up for McClain .
    Cant wait to see the experts list after the combine of the top 100 players.

--- Added 2/28/2010 at 06:46 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by No l Gravity l View Post
    By Jim Wexell
    Publisher SteelCityInsider.com
    Date: Feb 27, 2010

The coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers intends to improve the run game, and to that end he's eyeballing a massive Samoan road-grader, Iupati.
    OR get his future center Maurkice Pounce and later get John Jerry,Rodger Safford or Mitch Petrus.

Gold Standard
    I don't put much stock in the players that teams pretend to be interested in. Most of the time it seems that teams intentionally try to disguise who they are really interested in by faking to be interested in someone else. I am suspicious of any team that tries to show too much interest in any one player.

Honestly, if we are able to snag Pouncey that would instantly make our O-line better if he were able to wrangle the starting job away from Hartwig. But I don't think Pouncey is worthy of the 18th spot. There are a number of players that could work in that spot.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    I don't put much stock in the players that teams pretend to be interested in. Most of the time it seems that teams intentionally try to disguise who they are really interested in by faking to be interested in someone else. I am suspicious of any team that tries to show too much interest in any one player.

Honestly, if we are able to snag Pouncey that would instantly make our O-line better if he were able to wrangle the starting job away from Hartwig. But I don't think Pouncey is worthy of the 18th spot. There are a number of players that could work in that spot.
    I don't any center is ever worth the 18th pick in the draft.....But I do like the idea of trading down and drafting Pouncey.....The Steelers then could draft Pouncey and a safety like Nate Allen with a trade down.......

I like Earl Thomas at 18 or an LT but a trade down that could land Pouncey and Allen sounds sweet to.....Of course the Steelers would need a dancing partner to make a trade.........

Thread Information