Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Sweed?

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard
    I just think that there are things we don't know about the situation. I agree that Sweed has not had a lot of chances but the coaching staff doesn't seem to have any faith in him at all. If he doesn't come to camp with some determination to make the team I believe another rookie might just punk him down to the #5 spot much like Wallace did this year.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

In the early 2nd I'd rather go for Spikes or Pouncey if they're there. I really hope we trade up to grab one of the 3 though with the Rams.

My Mood
    Fine
    I cant wai to see both Mel Kipers big board and Scouts inc top 32 after the combine. As well as mock drafts after the combine. Mike Mayock should also have a list after the combine.
    I like Sweed and hope he's better.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    I just think that there are things we don't know about the situation. I agree that Sweed has not had a lot of chances but the coaching staff doesn't seem to have any faith in him at all. If he doesn't come to camp with some determination to make the team I believe another rookie might just punk him down to the #5 spot much like Wallace did this year.
    I'm all for a rookie beating out Sweed if a rookie proves himself....I always want the best players to make the roster no matter what....I just don't understand why the Steelers brass is already sticking a fork in Sweed.....Of course Sweed having issues and not proving anything yet is a reason but mini camps havn't started yet this year and the coaches already are giving up on him.....Makes me questions the coaches some and think its crazy to count out Sweed at this point.......If he continues to show no progression in training camp/pre-season then yea cut him......But as I type this its not even March and there is still time for Sweed to prove himself.......

My Mood
    Ratbirds

well

Quote Originally Posted by darnik44 View Post
    I'm in favor of them drafting Mardy Gilyard personally.
    I love Gilyard, but would hate him at 18. Plus we shouldn't target a receiver in the first three rounds, too many other needs.

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by darnik44 View Post
    I'm in favor of them drafting Mardy Gilyard personally.

On The Decline

Mardy Gilyard, WR, Cincinnati
    Gilyard has had a tremendous offseason so far. He had a great week of practice at the Senior Bowl, was impressive during the game earning offensive MVP honors and witnessed his draft stock maintain its second round status. But on Sunday, in the NFLís ultimate track meet, Gilyardís flaws were exposed. The 6-foot, 187-pound Gilyard, who has playmaking ability, ran a poor 4.56 in the 40, but was able to show his explosion by registering a 39-inch vertical. As good as Gilyard was at the Senior Bowl, he struggled during drills at the Combine. He didnít run crisp routes and dropped a few balls. Gilyard didnít look confident and appeared to having timing issues with the quarterbacks.

On The Rise

Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame
    One of the most productive wide receivers in the nation over the last two seasons, Tate was known for his explosiveness in space and ability to be a game breaker. But, there were many questions about his straight-line speed. Tate silenced those critics on Sunday when he blazed through the 40 with a 4.42; maybe it was the shiny gold shoes he sported? Tate proved his worth in the 40, but struggled during the gauntlet drill by dropping a few balls. However, he rebounded during receiver drills, was quick in and out of his breaks and didnít drop another ball. Tate was projected to be a late first round pick, but with this latest development, he could end up being a mid first rounder.

Andre Roberts, WR, Citadel
    Roberts had a strong week in Mobile at the Senior Bowl, and on Sunday during his workout at the Scouting Combine, he will find his stock continuing to rise after he ran a 4.46 in the 40 and displayed great explosion by posting a 10-foot broad jump. Robertsí athleticism and versatility could make him a third round possibility.

Good call!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Starter
    glad to see roberts on the site .. i posted him like ten times asking what ev1 thought after the senior bowl and never got any replies .. i would love him as a #4 WR ..

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by andyg1984 View Post
    glad to see roberts on the site .. i posted him like ten times asking what ev1 thought after the senior bowl and never got any replies .. i would love him as a #4 WR ..

I only posted the results on Tate and Roberts because these were 2 wideouts that Steeler personell met with at the combine. Seems they had no interest in Gilyard.

Good call!
    Let me give you two guys who ran slower 40 times than that... Lynn Swann and Jerry Rice... ask around and see if anyone ever caught those two from behind! (FREE-BEE: Jerry rice has admitted Deion did once!) Too much emphasis is put on these combine drills and times. Taylor Mays is gonna tear the combine apart... should we draft him in the first?!?! Put in tape of Mardy Gillyard and watch him dominate... i'd rather have a guy like him (in the second no less) than a work-out wonder in the first! (I know golden tate is a player but its silly to me how Gillyard is discounted!)

--- Added 3/1/2010 at 01:20 PM ---

I only posted the results on Tate and Roberts because these were 2 wideouts that Steeler personell met with at the combine. Seems they had no interest in Gilyard.
    I think they are putting the emphasis on finding two way players... ST's coverage AND positional help/depth. If thats the case i think they have the two right guys! Gilyard may not cover kicks but he sure as hell can run them back!

Gold Standard
    I don't doubt that Gilyard will make some team out there happy. Perhaps one of the reasons the Steelers didn't talk to him is because of the dreaded "character" issues. I have no idea what kind of trouble Gilyard has been in but they were talking about his "character" issues on the NFL network this weekend. We all know the Steelers tend to stay away from players who have had troubled pasts.

Thread Information