Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Sweed?

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

Goodbye Sweed?

SUNDAY, FEB. 28

10:40 a.m.: Limas Sweed, who left the team mysteriously last December, has been working out at the Steelers' South Side practice facility and is expected to participate in spring drills, but it doesn't appear as if the Steelers are counting on him for much.

With three legitimate pro WRs already in tow, and Sweed on the fringe, the Steelers appear intent on finding another highly regarded receiver at the combine. First it was Golden Tate, and now it's Citadel WR Andre Roberts, who measured in at 5-10.7, 195 and confirmed he sat for a formal interview yesterday with the Steelers.

Roberts is regarded as a slot receiver, punt returner, special teams cover ace, and a young player who obviously, if we are to judge his college, is a young man of character. Ed Thompson of Scout.com tells me Roberts is a third or fourth-round prospect, and I'd have to agree after watching him perform during Senior Bowl week, a week during which Roberts' status grew markedly.

FRIDAY, FEB. 26

1:45 p.m.: The Steelers have scheduled an interview tonight with Notre Dame wide receiver Golden Tate, bringing back memories of a brief conversation with a scout at mid-season. Tate had just turned in another brilliant performance in a college game and a scout approached me at lunch the next day at Heinz Field. Knowing I'd often compared Tate to Hines Ward, the scout asked, "Did you watch your boy yesterday?" Knowing he had to mean Tate, I asked him if I was far off base in comparing Tate to Ward. The scout flashed a wicked smile and said, "Not at all. It's exactly what I see, too."

Do the Steelers need another wide receiver? Well, did they need two in 1974 when they already had Ron Shanklin and Frank Lewis as starters? Of course, it's a long shot, but the Steeelers have never felt too stocked at that position.

Tate ran a 4.36 and Roberts ran a 4.40 40 at the combine. Both of these guys can fly. If the Steelers bring in another wideout you can write off the Limus Sweed experiment as officially OVER! I don't think the Steelers coaching staff have any confidense in Limus stepping in if any of the top 3 get hurt. I also believe someone like Roberts would be asked to return kicks. Effectively you could replace Stefan Logan and Limus Sweed with the right pick at WO.
    Last edited by BlackGold4vr; 02-28-2010 at 12:37 PM.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

I'm in favor of them drafting Mardy Gilyard personally.

My Mood
    Fine
    Citadel WR Andre Roberts in the 3rd would be an awesome pick or RB Toby Gerhart in the 3rd.

I would love it if they drafted Tate. I doubt it happens but you never know.

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by darnik44 View Post
    I'm in favor of them drafting Mardy Gilyard personally.

If they took a wideout in the first I would prefer Golden Tate who is the consensus best RAC receiver in the draft. I also like all the Hines Ward comparisons that Tate is a tough receiver who likes contact. Sounds like a Steeler type receiver to me.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    no WR first... we need OL or DB as a prioity (could even understand ILB or DL too)
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    no WR first... we need OL or DB as a prioity (could even understand ILB or DL too)

I agree with you but you never know what might happen. Rarely do they pick who we think they should.

tate may be there in the second

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Ok I wouldn't just write off Sweed just yet....Really there is no point to.....Let the kid come in and prove himself no doubt but there is no rush to really cut him.....Sweed doesn't have a huge contract that is killing the team or anything....I'm also not suggesting the Steelers shouldn't draft a WR either...I'm always in favor of adding more weapons for your QB.......But the Steelers not counting on Sweed right now is a bit pre-mature.....Lets see how he responds this training camp/pre-season before giving up on the kid.....lol

Tate might be there in the 2nd but not where we are. We're going to have to trade up to get him in the early second round.

Thread Information