Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Reed to get transition tag..**Update 2/25**Reed gets Franchise tag**

Bookmark and Share

Jeff Reed to get transition tag..**Update 2/25**Reed gets Franchise tag**

Jeff Reed to get transition tag
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 23, 2010 7:34 PM ET

The Steelers will take full advantage of the rules governing the uncapped season.

On the same day word leaked that the team will use the franchise tag on Casey Hampton, NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports the team will use the transition tag on kicker Jeff Reed.

Reed can sign an offer sheet elsewhere, but the Steelers will have the right to match the offer. The eight-year veteran will make $2.629 million if he signs a one-year contract as the team's transition player.

We won't be surprised if Reed plays under the one-year contract. The recent Sebastian Janikowski contract could make a long-term deal tough, but the presence of Jay Feely, Neil Rackers, and Shayne Graham on the open market may keep teams from bothering to bring in Reed.

Add it all up, and the Steelers should be keeping their very own liquored up kicker.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ransition-tag/

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's the right move to transition Reed at this point, that Janikowski deal will gives teams headaches trying to sign kickers now. In the end Reed will probably end up signing a long term deal but this will give us time to do that; by locking him into a transition tag.

i wouldn't want reed. he proved last season that he isn't one of the elite clutch kickers in the league and really doesn't have the range that other kickers do. i'm not saying that it's easy to nail a 50 plus yarder, but almost every other kicker in the league had at least two made from that distance. reed should be thankful that the steelers signed him because i don't know how many other teams would have locked him up.

another reason why reed is no good is his character. my uncle is the head security guard at the mellon arena and says that reed is the biggest a hole on the planet and that he's come close to tossing him out. he said that reed comes in, is cocky, rude to everyone and here's the biggie: hits on teenage girls all the time. this guy is disgusting and needs to go. at this point in reed's career, it would be more beneficial to draft the best kicker in the 4th or 5th round.
    Once a fan, always a fan.
    --Andy

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by A Pac View Post
    i wouldn't want reed. he proved last season that he isn't one of the elite clutch kickers in the league and really doesn't have the range that other kickers do. i'm not saying that it's easy to nail a 50 plus yarder, but almost every other kicker in the league had at least two made from that distance. reed should be thankful that the steelers signed him because i don't know how many other teams would have locked him up.

another reason why reed is no good is his character. my uncle is the head security guard at the mellon arena and says that reed is the biggest a hole on the planet and that he's come close to tossing him out. he said that reed comes in, is cocky, rude to everyone and here's the biggie: hits on teenage girls all the time. this guy is disgusting and needs to go. at this point in reed's career, it would be more beneficial to draft the best kicker in the 4th or 5th round.
    We all know that Reed is not the classiest guy around, and although it's unfortunate, class (or lack there of) doesn't count for anything on the field. And as far as on the field goes, I think what you're forgetting is that the Steelers play at Heinz Field. Heinz Field is by far not the easiest place to kick at. It would be difficult and take a while for the Steelers to bring in a new guy and have him become acclimated to kicking at that stadium. I think Steelers fans are generally happy that he's staying..hopefully he'll work on his kickoffs a little more.

Yeah Jeff is an *** off the field just like several other NFL players we have all heard about. But he does kick field goals fairly consistently and he kicks well at Heinz Field. All in all I'm happy they are keeping him.

Awaiting Seven...
    Quote Originally Posted by 75Steeler View Post
    Yeah Jeff is an *** off the field just like several other NFL players we have all heard about. But he does kick field goals fairly consistently and he kicks well at Heinz Field. All in all I'm happy they are keeping him.
    The guy is money when it comes to kicking at home, I'm a fan of this move.

Jeff Reed is not all that great . We needed him for something other than to kick that , so called "clutch field goal" . He has been a thorn in our side since Cower left . You have to have a guy that can kick on the road too ! Does that ring a bell in anyones head ? Who cares about how well you kick at home . Thats where you eat and sleep . I want a kicker that can go on the road and perform also . If that dude expects more than what we offer him , then i would not mind if he hightailed it out of town . He kicked well in our new stadium , but who is anyone to say that another guy could not do just as well. It's time to bring in the youngbloods , in every aspect of our game . That includes ..."the i can't kick the ball high" , and in the endzone at the same time , guy Reed . His kickoffs are absolutely pathetic , his kicks are so short , it is not surprising that our special teams lack .The ball always gets there before they are set up . Its my opinion , i know , but Reed can get the ---k out anytime he chooses . It might be a blessing in disguise .

We'd survive with out him!!

My Mood
    Chatty
    Quote Originally Posted by A Pac View Post

I do have to disagree slightly...although he is an assclown off field without a doubt...he rarely misses a kick and it's even more of a rareity to have him miss a "must need..game winning" kick and can make the big 50ish yard kicks when needed...I think we should keep him...sign him to a long term contract BUT make sure in his contract he gets put in time out (meaning fined severely) if he acts out at all!!!! there see I fixed it...

Oh and he needs fined severely whenever he just love taps any player running for a TD post kick off or punt......

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    Sounds like he gonna get even more $... Franchise Tag is the word...
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Thread Information