Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jeff Reed to get transition tag..**Update 2/25**Reed gets Franchise tag**

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Franchised.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/02/25/s...e-k-jeff-reed/

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Pittsburgh Steelers avoided having to use their franchise player tag on nose tackle Casey Hampton, signing him Thursday to a three-year, $21 million contract. Instead, the team designated kicker Jeff Reed as its franchise player -- and sidestepped a potentially contentious situation with Hampton, whom the Steelers say they consider a foundation piece for their defense.

"It was very important to our organization to have a player of Casey's caliber signed for what we think is the rest of his career," Steelers Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert said Thursday morning at the NFL Scouting Combine. "He means a lot to our organization. Casey Hampton is the anchor of our defense and has been for a while."

Had the Steelers designated Hampton their franchise s player, they'd have had to pay him slightly more than $7 million in 2010. The new deal guarantees Hampton $11 million and would pay him $7 million per year for three years if he plays to its conclusion.

The Steelers will also keep Reed off the market with a franchise tender of $2.814 million, though Colbert said they're also working on a long-term deal with him.

"Our goal is to lock Jeff up and have him finish his career with the Steelers," Colbert said. "It's like Casey and his agent. As long as the player and agents are willing and want to stay with the team and the team wants them, you're going to get a deal done. And we want to keep Jeff as long as we can."

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This is great news, not only did we lock up Hampton without having to tag him, we were able to tag Reed and hopefully get a long term deal done. At the very least the franchise money won't cost us near as much as it would have for Hampton, so all in all it's a great day to be a Steeler fan!

great....kickoffs to the 10 for another year and KR for touchdowns while jeff pretends to slam his face into the turf

Tailgate Coordinator
    I want to keep Reed, but if he goes, I wouldn't lose any sleep. When Cowher called Reed in, we were pretty desperate for a K, Reed turned out pretty good, we can find another.

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Ratbirds

Ladies and Gentlemen........

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    great....kickoffs to the 10 for another year and KR for touchdowns while jeff pretends to slam his face into the turf
    We have a winner! I think the key to our kick coverage would be to get someone who could kickoff!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Looks like he officially signed the franchise offer. Personally I hope they get a long term deal done before the season starts; containing a clause that involves the stipulation that he stay away from towel dispensers

Steelers sign Reed to one-year contract
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Kicker Jeff Reed signed a one-year contract with the Steelers this morning for $2,814,000.
    The contract was tendered to Reed when the Steelers identified him as their franchise player before he would have become an unrestricted free agent. Reed had little choice but to sign the deal and there was no looming deadline for him to do so.
    His agent and the Steelers continue to negotiate on a long-term contract for Reed.
    "It's our goal to try to keep working and see him stay for a long time in Pittsburgh,'' Don Henderson said. "They told us that's what they want and that's what we want. They've been dealing with us and talking to us. Hopefully, we'll sign a long-term contract and he will remain in Pittsburgh.''

He puts points on the board just about every time we put him on the field for the FG.

Good move period.

Thread Information