Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers close to deal with Hampton...**Update 2/25, signs 3 yr. deal**

Bookmark and Share

Steelers close to deal with Hampton...**Update 2/25, signs 3 yr. deal**

Casey Hampton isn't going anywhere
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 23, 2010 11:44 AM ET

The Steelers are planning to use the franchise tag on nose tackle Casey Hampton this week barring a long-term contract extension, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

Hampton, 32, said previously he doesn't want to be tagged. But the Steelers have worked towards a new contract for him and will continue to do so if they have to use the franchise tag.

The situation is very similar to Vince Wilfork's in New England. The Steelers aren't just going to let a valuable part of the team walk away and they will try to assuage any frustration about the tag by working towards a long-term agreement.

It just goes to show how valuable a true nose tackle is in a 3-4 defense, no matter what condition he's in when he shows up to training camp.

Permalink 14 Comments Latest stories in: Latest News and Rumors, NFL Mobile Exclusives - Rumors, Pittsburgh Steelers, Top Stories
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...oing-anywhere/

My Mood
    Fight
    Sweet, Atleast one more year to help groom someone maybe
    "Without ME, it's just AWESO"
    and
    "To all the virgins, thanks for nothing"

He'll be pissed!

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    I dont understand why guys would be pissed? Its not like were a "Lions or Browns-like" team or has any bridge been burned on either saide. With the tag your going to promised to be one of the highest paid if you cant come to a long term deal. To me thats a win-win situation. Maybe im looking at it wrong tho.
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Dont they have the rights to offer him a long term deal after the franchise tag is placed? Didnt they do that with Starks last year? This would just be a way to at least lock him, so other teams wont get a chance to bid on him. With Wilfork being tagged too, we may get him a lil cheaper too.

I dont see why its such a big deal for him anyways. He'll make like 7 mil or something, which he wont get anywhere with a deal of some sort, besides, he may face a potential lockout, which means he could be without any income for a year. I would take the 7 mil, be a happy man in 2011 with all my shiny money, and sign with someone who would be willing to take an old player for big money.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    I dont understand why guys would be pissed? Its not like were a "Lions or Browns-like" team or has any bridge been burned on either saide. With the tag your going to promised to be one of the highest paid if you cant come to a long term deal. To me thats a win-win situation. Maybe im looking at it wrong tho.
    I dont think they should be pissed at getting franchised but i understand some viewpoints....They want job security, they want to get a big muti-year deal while they can...franchising someone delays that and a possible injury could ruin in and may cost them millions....I would consider it a complement...It means they want you here and they are willing to pay a lot to keep you...

Still though...I wont complain if you want to pay me 7 million for a year...Sh*t, I'd do just about anything for that...and I do mean anything ....haha

--- Added 2/23/2010 at 07:32 PM ---

[QUOTE=JensK;334784]Dont they have the rights to offer him a long term deal after the franchise tag is placed? Didnt they do that with Starks last year?QUOTE]

Yes and yes

My Mood
    Impatient
    Yeah, I think as long as the long term deal is the goal for both sides, he can just deal with the tag

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    No shocker here since we only have Chris Hoke on the roster who could replace Casey right away........I know Hoke did a fine job when Casey was lost for the season back in 2004.....But that was 6 years ago and Hoke is also old and is past his prime......The Steelers need to draft young NT even if they reach a 2-4 year deal with Casey Hampton......

What if he blows his knee out tagged? Had he been released and signed to a 3 year deal with guaranteed money no worries he's still getting paid, I guess this is why I could see players being PO'd...

Starter
    we still need to get some youth on the D line .. if he is only going to be around for one year i think we need to go after cody ..

Thread Information