Thread: Steelers to opperate as if a cap in place

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel

Steelers to opperate as if a cap in place

PITTSBURGH - The Pittsburgh Steelers will treat 2010 as if it were a capped season and will not take advantage of the lack of an NFL collective bargaining agreement to add more quality free agents than usual.

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert acknowledges the Steelers could be at a competitive disadvantage by remaining with the cap framework, especially if big-revenue teams decide to spend freely. But he says the club believes a commonsense approach is the right one.

Unless a new labour deal is reached by this fall, NFL teams will be free to spend any amount they want on salaries without restrictions for the first time since 1993.

Last season, the salary cap was US$128 million and the floor was $111 million, meaning every team had to spend at least that amount. The Steelers will calculate what the cap would have been this season and then remain within that amount.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...ress&type=lgns
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    PITTSBURGH - The Pittsburgh Steelers will treat 2010 as if it were a capped season and will not take advantage of the lack of an NFL collective bargaining agreement to add more quality free agents than usual.

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert acknowledges the Steelers could be at a competitive disadvantage by remaining with the cap framework, especially if big-revenue teams decide to spend freely. But he says the club believes a commonsense approach is the right one.

Unless a new labour deal is reached by this fall, NFL teams will be free to spend any amount they want on salaries without restrictions for the first time since 1993.

Last season, the salary cap was US$128 million and the floor was $111 million, meaning every team had to spend at least that amount. The Steelers will calculate what the cap would have been this season and then remain within that amount.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...ress&type=lgns
    i can't say if that's a good thing but i don't it would be really bad because the steelers don't build through free agency. we've always built through the draft, and add a piece or 2 through free agency or trades. sure, having the ability to outspend everyone is a major advantage BUT it doesn't always translate to success. in the nba, the knicks have had the highest payroll for a long time and have been over the cap for years. they have been one of the worst teams in the nba for quite a while. in mlb, the mets had the 2nd highest payroll this past season and were a bad team. the yankees a year before, as always had the highest payroll, but missed the playoffs. then throw in the fact that despite outspending every mlb club for the entire decade, the yankees only managed to win 2 championships, so money isn't everything. it's about spending wisely. in football as in every sport, making smart moves is the key. instead of getting the top player at every position, put together a team of guys who fit well into your philosophy. get guys who are team players. i think the steelers would be able to still have success in an uncapped nfl. plus with the economy struggling, and many teams losing money, i don't see anybody spending like drunken sailors for very long. prime example, the yankees of all teams are cutting payroll this season. just something to think about

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    OK, I get the whole stick to your values, run with what got you here, way of thinking..it's the way we've always done business. Damn though, just for once why don't we actually go out and spend alittle money and help sure up some areas of need using all options available to us instead of ONLY the draft. There's nothing wrong with bringing in some good FA's to help offset the draft needs and by free agents, I don't mean 3rd tier castoffs from other teams.

My Mood
    Impatient
    I am in favor of this. The owners have said that they would NEVER sign a labor agreement without a cap, so I think this is a pretty smart move overall. Now, with no cap, I think we will see a rash of veterans being cut because there is no real penalty this year, and I wouldnt mind us picking up a couple of veterans like a CB who still only has a year or two left, but good enough to start or something like that.

Could come back to bite this team in the ***! We'll see I guess...

I trust the Rooney's, and by not going out and spending like there's no tomorrow (see Washington Redskins) I think they are making a very wise financial decision. How often has 'going out and getting the best player available' helped other teams who have spent boat loads of money on them? Not only that, but let's say an uncapped year does happen and the following year a deal is struck and there's a cap placed back on teams. If you've gone out and 'bought' all these high price players you're just going to have to adjust when a cap is put in place. And by adjust I mean you most likely will not be able to keep these high salaries. I don't follow all this stuff real closely.... so I could be way off base on my thoughts here. Anybody have any other insight on what will happen once a deal is reached?

Again... I have faith that the Rooney's will continue to do what's in this team's best interest and will continue to field extremely competitive teams year in and year out.

"Here's an idea! Don't worry about sports and run the ****ing country!!!" - PsychoWard to Obama

I found this stone the other day and on it it had the words "The Steelers will never bring in top free agents." etched on its side. Ha, go figure!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If there is an uncapped year, you'll see a lot less player movement anyways, because all those players who are in their 4th year and expecting to hit the UFA market will not be able to do so and will be stuck at RFA's until their 6th year. Those players that are UFA's will be able to command big money of course, but the pickens will be more slim overall.

I don't want us going on and hog wild spend like crazy or anything, but I would for once like to see us use FA in a way that can help our team out as well as use the draft like always. There are players to be had that can make a difference, it's not always a bad thing to use FA.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    I'd like to see Pitt sign 1, MAYBE 2 good/very good players, especially for our secondary... A CB and a safety (in case Clark is not resigned) but the common sense approach has done well for Pitt over the long haul.
    Throwing tons of money, trying to "buy" a championship does not work. That has been proven over the years
    raiders (can't even draft well with top picks!!)
    redskins
    dallas cry boys
    F/A is used to fill a few leaks and the team is built thru the draft!
    Oakland, Where Careers Go To Die!!!!!

http://myxilplik.mybrute.com

http://tironne.mybrute.com

most teams plan on doing this, the skins, boys and raiders are probably the exception

Thread Information