Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Al Everest hired as Special Teams coach

Bookmark and Share

Al Everest hired as Special Teams coach

Steelers announce special teams coach hire
    Thursday, January 21, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Coach Mike Tomlin continues to interview candidates for openings on his staff, which he reduced by one after the Steelers officially announced the hiring of a new special teams coach.

The Post-Gazette reported early this week that the hiring of Al Everest was imminent and the Steelers announced it today. Everest, 59, was fired by the San Francisco 49ers after the season. Tomlin also interviewed Bobby April for the job but he instead was hired by the Philadelphia Eagles.

Tomlin continues his search for a wide receivers coach, a possible secondary coach and a defensive assistant. He interviewed former Steelers linebacker Jerry Olsavsky for the job of defensive assistant today, after interviewing former Steelers linebacker Earl Holmes on Wednesday.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    There isn't much info on this guy in particular, other than an article listed here that talks about Singletary not renewing Everests' contract due to "personal reasons". I was able to find that the 49ers apparently had a top 10 KO return guy on their ST this year as well.

Edit, found some more info, this part is encouraging..

Special Teams Coordinator - Al Everest

A world renowned teacher, Everest brings more than 36 years of coaching experience to the San Francisco 49ers' coaching staff. Under Everest's tutelage, Andy Lee, Allen Rossum and Michael Robinson were all named Pro Bowl alternates. From 2000 to 2005, Everest served as the special teams coordinator for the New Orleans Saints, coaching three Pro Bowlers during that span culminating with the 2002 NFL Special Teams Coach of the Year award.
    and this as well when he was initially hired by the 49ers.
    Everest, 56, has been an NFL special-teams coach 10 seasons. He sat out from coaching last year after he was not retained on the Saints' staff after Sean Payton was hired last year.
    Prior to spending six seasons with the Saints, Everest coached four seasons with the Cardinals (1996-'99). Everest has 35 years of coaching experience, including 28 in football.
    In 2004, five of Everest's players won NFC Special Teams Player of the Week awards. In 2002, his unit had three touchdown returns and five blocked kicks.
    He began his coaching career at his alma mater, SMU, as a graduate assistant coach in 1972. He then served as a graduate assistant coach at North Texas in 1973. From there, he was the secondary coach at NCAA Division II's Cameron in 1974 and 1975 (he also was Cameron's head baseball coach). He then became the head coach and athletic director at the American School Foundation in Mexico City for 5 years (1976-80).
    He switched sports for the next 7 years (1981-87), serving as the head baseball coach at U.S International.
    He then entered the pro ranks, coaching 4 seasons in Italy. He was the defensive coordinator with the Legnano Frogs for the first 3 years (1988-90) and spent 1991 as the head coach of the Pesaro Angels. Legnano won the Italian championship in 1988 and 1989, and was the national runner-up in 1990 (the Frogs also won the European championship in 1989, finished second in 1990 and third in 1988).
    He also spent part of 1991 as a scout for the Pro Spring Football League before becoming the secondary coach with the PSFL's Arkansas Miners in 1992.
    Also in 1992, he was the offensive coordinator of the San Antonio Force in the Arena Football League. He went back to Legnano in 1993 as the defensive coordinator before returning to America to serve as an assistant at The Colony (Tex.) High in 1993 and 1994.
    He then was the special teams coordinator with the CFL's Birmingham Barracudas in 1995 before moving to the NFL.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 01-22-2010 at 08:24 AM.

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Well, only time will tell......here's hoping......

Al Everest is a very strong personality. Good coach from what I hear.

37 years in the league, he's prolly seen it all!

Why are we all worried? Madison was brought back and with instant results, we should of never let him walk!! ST's is half of my concern...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    37 years in the league, he's prolly seen it all!

Why are we all worried? Madison was brought back and with instant results, we should of never let him walk!! ST's is half of my concern...
    we have doggett now too.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think Tomlin definitely realized that there is just no way around keeping a couple ST aces on the roster. You just have to bite the bullet on this, even if those guys never see the field on regular downs, their contributions on ST are vital. Having a bunch of bench warmers get up and run down the field to cover kicks just doesn't cut it, then you have to bring on starters to help and you risk injury to them. So yeah, keep some special teams demons on the team and don't wait till it's a crisis before you make necessary changes.

Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    we have doggett now too.
    "championship" lol

For real, this group will be better!!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    "championship" lol

For real, this group will be better!!

They can't be much worse... can they?

Chopper Challenge Champion SteelerNC's Avatar
    My Mood
    Bungals
    we cant be worse next year on SPEC. Teams than this past year, thats for sure

Thread Information