Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Miracle Steelers season of 1989...(LONG POST)

Bookmark and Share
    I remember that Denver game..actually the Steelers had a chance on the last drive I think but a guy named Strock or Stock dropped a key pass (third or 4th down) that Bubby threw right to his gut. The next pain was the one I had in my gut. I was an exhausted junior resident at the time, no sleep and even more depressed for days. I remember that Merrill and Bubby had pretty big games. Lake might of been a rookie, Woodson a rising star...great memories.

My Mood
    Addicted
    it was Mark Stock who dropped the pass and it was on first down. if he catches that ball the Steelers would have been close to midfield needing just a field goal and we know Anderson had a leg, making that 50 yarder the week before in Houston. I could be wrong, but I think Stock was a rookie that year. anyway, 2 plays later there was a bad shotgun snap and Hoge tried to pick up the ball and run, but he couldn't get a handle on the ball and Denver recovered it. that was such a shame for Hoge too because I think he had something like 180 yards rushing in that game. the only good thing about Denver winning was I loved watching the 49ers slaughter them in the Super Bowl that year!! being a Notre Dame fan I loved seeing Montana carve up the Broncos secondary!! 55-10, baby!! LOL!!

Chris

Yeah, that's right, now I remember. I remember being bummed for Merrill as he had an otherwise monster game. They were a very young team but played Denver hard until the end.

Starter
    My Mood
    Clowns
    The 89 team wasn't a very good team. We benefitted from a weak schedule.And were in a tough division. Were only 1-5 in the division. Beat out the previous years Afc Champion Bengals. The team hadn't been in the playoffs in 5 years and were in the midst of probably the bleakest era of Steelers football since the 60's. They knocked off the Oilers in the wildcard game. And came pretty close to beating the eventually afc champion Broncos. Probably the greatest coaching job by Chuck Noll.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

I just remember my brother(who is a hugh CLOWNS fan) was laughing at me after we started out 0-2 but i remember rubbing his face in it when we made it to Denver. Great season and a great coaching job by Noll. Wasn't there a questionable call at the end of the game that cost us a fumble?

Quote Originally Posted by Layin the wood View Post
    Wasn't there a questionable call at the end of the game that cost us a fumble?
    Never. The refs love us.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Sports%20gallery/Pittsburgh%20sports/Pittsburgh%20Steelers%20-%206X%20Super%20Bowl%20champions/PGH256A.jpg
    Six Lombardi Trophies: Not coming soon to a city near you.

Thread Information