Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Miracle Steelers season of 1989...(LONG POST)

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    colts-hater

The Miracle Steelers season of 1989...(LONG POST)

Im just going to throw this out there because stranger things have happened and it will show you to never lose faith and stop believing until your team is really mathematically out of the playoff race. So with that being said if you go back to the year 1989 I dont know how many of you guys on here remember that year but I sure as hell do and if your a diehard fan like I am your most likely will. The Steelers at one point in that 1989 season were 4-6 and ended up winning 5 of their last 6 games to finish 9-7 and qualify for the last playoff birth in the AFC that year, and ended up actually winning a playoff game in Houston that year in Overtime, and then played in Denver the next week and lost by a point 24-23 and were one game away from going to the AFC Championship game that year when it appeared that all hope had been lost.

It was probably one of the most bizzare, insane,whacky Steelers seasons similar to this one in their long history and it damn near almost ended in an AFC Championship appearance when it appeared all hope was lost. To make things even more strange that year I think they needed like 5 or 6 teams in the AFC the last week of the season who all went into the last week at 8-7 or 9-6 to all lose and they needed to win the last week in Tampa Bay and it actually happened. And back then to make things even more strange there was only 5 playoff teams instead of 6 they switched to the 6 team playoff format the next year in 1990, and the Steelers ended up grabbing that 5th and final playoff spot and came within a game like I said of playing for the AFC Championship game. If you look at that year in 1989 and look at this year there are a lot of similarities. That was the last time we got shutout twice in one season and that has happened this year as we know by us getting shutout to Jags and to the Ravens of course yesterday. It was the last time we played the Kansas City Chiefs at home and we defeated them that year at home and beat them of course this year at home. Also, our record was the same after 10-11 games at 4-6 4-7 give or take. All Im saying is how many people that year when the Steelers were 4-6 after 10 games thought they were going to go on that little run and make the playoffs let alone win a game in the playoffs and almost go to the AFC Title game. My point is you can never give up hope or lose faith until your team is completely and mathematically eliminated from playoff contention, and right now the Steelers are not officially out yet and have a shot to win the next 2 games here at home for sure against Tampa Bay and Cleveland and get to 6-7. If you go back to that 1989 season for those of you who dont believe me or think Im nuts you can look it up and see that it indeed did happen and was nothing short of impossible what the Steelers ended up almost doing that year.

My point here being for those of you who have lost faith and think this season is over and we cant still get that last playoff spot think back and go back to that 1989 season and you will see based on what happened that year to that Steelers team led by Bubby Brister that miracles can happen and when you appear to be completely out of it at 4-6 or 4-7 if you win out and 3 or 4 teams lose like we need to have happen this year,and what actually did happen that year that you can indeed still have a shot. Hopefully some of you will read this post and it will make you have and keep a little bit more faith in this team this year. Because 17 years ago when it appeared that Steelers team who was 4-6 at one point was dead in the water and had no shot of making to playoffs it did, and came within one game and one point of winning in Denver that year and going on to play in the AFC Championship game. So all Im saying if you dont think miracles can happen go back to that year in 1989 and you will see it has a lot of similarities to this season it really does.

It's funny you bring up the 89 season because I was wondering when the last time the Steelers were shutout twice in one year... Steelersfan said it was 89 and another member confirmed it!

How weird....

the steelers were actually shutout three times in 89. i was at the first of those 3 games, a 51-0 drubbing by the browns at 3 rivers.

House of Steel
    I truly remember the 89 season and I was at the damn game where the Browns kicked the living daylights out of us at Three Rivers. I don't think I've ever seen a stadium so stunned in my life. I was numb as hell since I was 15 years old when I went and living in East Liverpool which is a 35 miles drive to PITT. That was one strange season indeed.

My Mood
    colts-hater
    Yea they were to Cleveland,Houston and Chicago in that year. But its really so amazing and bizzare how they made the playoffs that year and damn near made it to the AFC Title game. That post I made was just a little friendly reminder to never give up until your officially out mathematically.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    The Steelers started 0-2
    losing to Clev 51-0
    losing to Bungles 42-10
    0-2 92 pts given up
    Oakland, Where Careers Go To Die!!!!!

http://myxilplik.mybrute.com

http://tironne.mybrute.com

ah yes the 89 season...the only miracle that year was the birth of k train
    Last edited by K Train; 06-23-2011 at 04:22 PM.

My Mood
    Manic
    ahh yes 1989 my senior year in high school i had a football scholarship to Maryland then i broke the orbital bone got addicted to opiates and my football days were over before they started then the Steelers went 0-3 the bad ole days now i live one day at a time

Ah, yes, 1989, the last time the Browns finished above the Steelers in the division standings.

I don't remember that season, but it sounds like it played out an awful lot like 2000, except the 2000 Steelers were eliminated from the playoffs the last week of the regular season. They started the season with Kent Graham as the starting QB, got shut out 16-0 by the Ravens opening week, lost to the Browns the following week on a sack in Browns territory with no timeouts left, and then slid to 0-3 after losing to the Titans in overtime.

That was the season when the Steelers received three official letters of apology from the NFL for officiating miscues. They were also the last team to beat the Ravens before they went on their tear and won the Super Bowl. Kordell Stewart won the starting QB job back after Graham made him look good. They won four of their last five games of the season, with the magnum opus being a 21-20 win over the Raiders, who were considered Super Bowl favorites at the time.

The last game at Three Rivers Stadium was a doozy. The Steelers beat the Redskins 24-3. Jeff George got knocked out of the game, didn't play the rest of the season, and only started two more games for the Redskins before they cut his *** three weeks into the 2001 season. He's never played another down of football since.

Anyway, the Steelers wrapped the season up against the one-win, Ryan Leaf-QBed Chargers. The Steelers won, and the Ravens beat the Jets, but the Vikings didn't beat the Colts for us, largely because Daunte Culpepper was injured and didn't play the whole game. His replacement? Bubby ****ing Brister! This wouldn't be the first time he's ****ed up Pittsburgh's playoff chances. ****ing up has to be a special skill in order to **** up the playoff chances of a team that you don't even play for anymore. Some people are makeup artists, but Bubby Brister was a ****-up artist. **** you, Bubby Brister!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Sports%20gallery/Pittsburgh%20sports/Pittsburgh%20Steelers%20-%206X%20Super%20Bowl%20champions/PGH256A.jpg
    Six Lombardi Trophies: Not coming soon to a city near you.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I was there at that last game at TRS, man that was a memory I will never forget. Winning the game but also the fireworks and the big celebration for all the memories that happened inside the confines of Three Rivers.

On a side note I saw this post and thought, holy crap, Troyisabeast is back before the season has started! LOL. I tell ya, SA members have a knack for digging up old but really good posts...good job Callax!

Thread Information