Thread: Steeler defense didn't have the answer

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steeler defense didn't have the answer

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06331/741543-66.stm

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

BALTIMORE -- They didn't expect it to end like this, not with a performance as flat and uninspiring as a South Dakota prairie.

They didn't expect it to end with their quarterback on his back, their running game non-existent, or their offensive line in desperate search of a fire marshall to limit the amount of Baltimore Ravens in the backfield.

But, when it was all over yesterday afternoon at M&T Bank Stadium -- not just the game, but the season -- the Steelers never really expected it to end with their defense getting moved around like office furniture.

At least, not when they still had some measure of hope, however small, of making a run at the playoffs.

"That's our niche," said linebacker Clark Haggans. "I was surprised they moved the ball as much as they did."

Coach Bill Cowher called it a "pitiful performance," and he lumped everyone under the umbrella -- offense, defense and special teams.

And, as bad as the offense performed in a 27-0 shutout loss to the Ravens, the defense was even more humiliated at the manner in which they were shredded for 30 minutes by two players who have tormented them in the past -- quarterback Steve McNair and running back Jamal Lewis.

Sure, Ben Roethlisberger had three more turnovers, raising his season total to 21, four of which have been returned for touchdowns. And Willie Parker, who can't seem to run on the road, had a season-low 22 yards on 10 carries, despite a 12-yard run on his second carry of the game.

In the end, though, when the Ravens put everything but the mathematical nail in the Steelers' season, it was the defense which performed like a Thanksgiving turkey.

"I got no words for this," Haggans said. "Just everything unpleasant."

"That one drive they had they just ran it right down our throats," said defensive end Brett Keisel.

"That's not what this defense is about."
    Unpleasant doesn't even begin to cover what our defense and offense should be feeling after such a pathetic display from professionals like our black n gold !

Now that I know the outcome of the game I'm kind of glad it wasn't televised in my area. Because then I would have been mad for watching such lousy, if that can even describe it, performance! I haven't looked up stats or read anything except for what has been posted on here and it sounds like it would have been hard to watch!!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Trust me AZ, this was a game that every Steeler fan who watched just cringes at the memories that are still fresh in our minds.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    Now that I know the outcome of the game I'm kind of glad it wasn't televised in my area. Because then I would have been mad for watching such lousy, if that can even describe it, performance! I haven't looked up stats or read anything except for what has been posted on here and it sounds like it would have been hard to watch!!
    Ya know, Chris, we have a tailgate here in Michigan for every game that is televised. Sunday, something went wrong, the food even sucked. We did our usual pregame ritual, the garb, the prayer, the trolls, the cheers but for some reason nothing felt right ...........right from the start!~!~
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

Thread Information