Thread: Cleveland Browns' Josh Cribbs feels his days with Browns are over

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Cleveland Browns' Josh Cribbs feels his days with Browns are over

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...ribbs_f_1.html
    BEREA, Ohio -- Browns Pro Bowl all-purpose star Josh Cribbs cleaned out his locker in Berea on Thursday, said his goodbyes and feels like he's played his last down of football for the Cleveland Browns.
    "I said goodbye to some people on the medical staff, some of the equipment guys and the coaches," Cribbs said during a phone interview. "I wished the coaches luck and told them I hoped they kept their jobs. But it absolutely felt like the last time I'd be setting foot inside the building. I feel like it's over for me in Cleveland."
    Cribbs said a trade request will come next.
    "It looks like now that [a trade request] could come before [the league year begins] March 4. If they're definitely set on that offer, then I'm out of here, no question."
    Cribbs, who has three years remaining on his contract at just over $1 million a year, said that after the Browns' $1.4 million a year offer he felt "betrayed and stabbed in the back".
    "I'm not just insulted by the number, but by the fact they consider me just a kick returner," Cribbs said. "I'm so much more than that."
    Other players with similar roles make $3 million to $6 million a year.
    Cribbs said the Browns told his agents the $1.4 million offer "will be the same in March and in the fall. They basically said, 'Take it or leave it.' Based on that, I'm not at all optimistic I'll be back."
    He said some folks tell him he has no choice, that he's still under contract until 2012 and would have to play.
    "I don't have to do anything," Cribbs said. "If I have to sit that whole time, I'll sit. There's no way I'll play another down for the Browns without the new contract. But they won't let me sit, because I have value. They'd be forced to trade me because it's a business."
    Cribbs said the Browns told him to be a good soldier this season and that he'd be rewarded. He said he was also told by coach Eric Mangini "that I had to prove what I was to the Cleveland Browns this year and then they would pay me. I was repeatedly told it would get done by the end of the year."
    Cribbs returned three kickoffs for touchdowns this season to become the NFL's all-time leader with eight; and he averaged a team-high 6.9 yards on his 55 runs, mostly out of the wildcat formation.
    Over the past three seasons, he has more all-purpose yards than any other player in the NFL, with the top five stacking up this way: Cribbs with 6,345, San Diego's Darren Sproles 6,052, Minnesota's Adrian Peterson 5,741, Jacksonville's Maurice Jones-Drew 5,639, and Miami's Ted Ginn Jr. 5,486.
    "I'm shocked they made me an offer like that after all I've done for this team," Cribbs said. "I laid it all on the line all season. I can't be told to wait again. I just don't see it happening now."
    He said he was discouraged by remarks made by new team President Mike Holmgren, who said: "On occasion, our view of how much that should be and the agent's view of how much that should be differs. We have made an effort. We'll continue to make an effort. I want Josh here. We're trying and I hope how we do that is good enough."
    Said Cribbs, "If you read between the lines, he's in no hurry to get anything done. I'm not planning on having any contact. It's completely on them now."
    Cribbs' agent, J.R. Rickert, said a formal request for a trade will be made by March 4 if there's been no good-faith negotiating.
    Cribbs said he was happy Mangini kept his job, and said he felt he contributed to that decision.
    "I'd like to think that some of my play over those last four games helped those guys keep their jobs, including my two kickoff returns for touchdowns against Kansas City," he said. "I wonder how many jobs would've been lost if I hadn't laid it on the line for them every single week?"
    As for retaining Mangini, Cribbs said: "That's a good decision by Mike Holmgren. He's the right man for the job. Guys have started to buy into his system. I feel like a good football mind would know that coach Mangini has this team going in the right direction. I can't see another coach coming in here and creating the impact that he's done so far. I feel like that's a job well done right there."
    I wouldn't mind having him.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Reppin' 724
    I'd say this is just posturing....

He wants money. He wants the type of money the Steelers wouldnt be willing to pay him. Plus, he wants out of Cleveland because they basically use him as just a PR... which I kind of feel the Steelers would do with him. Put it this way, if we add Cribbs, where would he fit in?

Cribbs can do it all really. Obviously, he is every ST coach dream. He is soooooo good at returning it hurts. He is also a pretty good RB, and he has fairly good hands too. He would not fit into our offense at all, because we don't run any gimmick plays (isnt that right Holmes?), but he is a legitimate threat on every play. Browns should shut up and pay the man. He has been their only real weapon to score points this season.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

I wish we would sign him. Then we wouldn't have to worry about him running the ball back 70+ yards for a TD on a kick off twice a year!

The Steelers wouldnt have to sign him to do that. We would need 30 other teams to sign him for us not to worry about him.

Man if only Ben was friends with him, he'd be on the roster right now!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Addicted
    The Clowns better pay him. He's the only threat on the hole damn team.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united steeler nation.
    And to the franchise for which it stands. One nation of domination
    With the ability to crush you all.

Warren, OH. It's about a hour & 45 minutes NW from the Burgh.
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Man if only Ben was friends with him, he'd be on the roster right now!
    LOL!!! I see what you did there.

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    I think he's a great fit for Miami or Arizona. He would only return kicks for us for maybe two seasons and he would be gone. I would like to see how this guy gets used on a better team though.
    Be who you are, become what you dream....

Thread Information