Thread: Explanations on why Houston has the tiebreak over Pittsburgh?

Bookmark and Share

Explanations on why Houston has the tiebreak over Pittsburgh?

I didn't think really twice about the scenarios. Basically the Texans HAVE to lose with either a Jets or Ravens loss as well. But I just checked and (assuming Houston wins) they will have a 6-6 conference record. The same as the Steelers if they beat Miami. Also, Houston is 1-5 in their own division where we are 2-4.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Houston would win tiebreaker over Pittsburgh based on record against common opponents and would be the eighth seed.

http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.ac...81474977971624

I'm not sure why it goes to this, but what I'm reading is that the Pittsburgh and Houston tiebreaker goes to common games, in which case Houston has the advantage.
    Last edited by steelersbabex25; 01-02-2010 at 02:12 AM.

Draft Pick
    This is the part that is going to cause more confusion than a mouse in a burlesque show, as Foghorn Leghorn once said...

Baltimore wins the AFC North tiebreaker over Pittsburgh based on division record.
    Denver, Baltimore and the New York Jets would win tiebreaker over Houston based on better conference record.Denver wins tiebreaker over the Jets and Ravens based on strength of victory and would take the number five seed.

Baltimore wins AFC North tiebreak over Pittsburgh basRAVENS win AFC North tiebreaker over STEELERS (division record).
    New York Jets and Baltimore would win tiebreaker over Houston based on better conference record.

What is confusing to me is that if Denver has all these tie-breakers over this team and that team.. if we all finish 9-7--- who gets in becasue we BEAT the Broncos..

Who does Denver knock out or dont knock out.. they certainly dont knock us out becasue we beat them. Head to head comes first in all tie breakers.
    Last edited by TheButt; 01-02-2010 at 09:54 AM.
    Blood is Freedoms Stain

Rookie Free Agent CNY_STEELER_FAN's Avatar
    It depends on whether it is a head-to-head or 3+ way tie.

Unless Baltimore loses, they will always get in first, because they have a better division record than us. In most scenarios, they win, and thus we can only compete for the sixth seed...and in most scenarios there are at least 2 other 9-7 teams.

In the 3 way tie, I believe we lose to Houston on "Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games" (e.g., I believe Houston beat one or more of the following: KC, Oakland, Browns, etc).

Here are the official rules:
    http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Note: I think Denver may also beat us in a 3 way tie, but lose to us in head-to-head...as there is one scenario that would require a Denver loss or tie.

Reppin' 724
    Quote Originally Posted by TheButt View Post
    This is the part that is going to cause more confusion than a mouse in a burlesque show, as Foghorn Leghorn once said...

Baltimore wins the AFC North tiebreaker over Pittsburgh based on division record.
    Denver, Baltimore and the New York Jets would win tiebreaker over Houston based on better conference record.Denver wins tiebreaker over the Jets and Ravens based on strength of victory and would take the number five seed.

Baltimore wins AFC North tiebreak over Pittsburgh basRAVENS win AFC North tiebreaker over STEELERS (division record).
    New York Jets and Baltimore would win tiebreaker over Houston based on better conference record.

What is confusing to me is that if Denver has all these tie-breakers over this team and that team.. if we all finish 9-7--- who gets in becasue we BEAT the Broncos..

Who does Denver knock out or dont knock out.. they certainly dont knock us out becasue we beat them. Head to head comes first in all tie breakers.
    not if you have three teams with the same record....from whqat I understand

Rookie Free Agent OC Steel Curtain's Avatar
    houston beat the raiders and we lost to them. killed us

Rookie Free Agent Richmond Rukus's Avatar
    They just said on NFL Today that Brady has been playing with a couple broken ribs and will only play a series, maybe 2.

My Mood
    afc-hater
    If Houston & Baltimore both lose we're in right? obviously if we win, but I just don't see the Texans losing this at home. This is probably the last Steeler game of the season!

Thread Information