Thread: Steelers only have themselves to blame.

Bookmark and Share
    Veteran
    My Mood
    Angry

Steelers only have themselves to blame.

The Steelers keep bailing and bailing and their ship keeps taking on water. The end is near and the rescue boats sailing their way are rickety.

"For the most part, we have nobody to blame but ourselves," tackle Willie Colon said. "All we can do is what we can do right now, try to put ourselves in a better position, and however it works out it works out. But at the end of the day, it's our fault."

He will find no arguments either inside his locker room or the city they represent. That five-game losing streak that scuttled their schooner will go down in franchise lore among the most dubious. The reigning Super Bowl champs lost to three heavy underdogs in Kansas City, Oakland and Cleveland, and Colon and others acknowledged their heads weren't exactly in those games.

"From my look, I think we kind of took things for granted from the standpoint we weren't playing up to our level and how we should have played," Colon said of that five-game skid. "And it came back to bite us in the butt and all we can do now is try to get this one Sunday."

Too bad that was not the case in Cleveland, in Kansas City or at home to Oakland.

"We put ourselves in this position," linebacker James Harrison said. "There were two games where we could have just as easily won and basically tricked it off. You go on a five-game skid, you can't expect too much to go good."

Harrison believes the Steelers would be fortunate to earn a playoff spot at this point.

"Definitely. We did a lot to hurt ourselves with those five games that we lost. If we get in, it's a blessing. We need help."

Lots of it, and from sources that may be disinterested in lending the Steelers a hand, the Cincinnati Bengals and New England Patriots. It would aid the Steelers tremendously if one of those teams won Sunday and be heaven sent if both won. However, each has little incentive heading into their final games, the Bengals at the New York Jets and the Patriots at the Houston Texans.

Cincinnati and New England have clinched playoff spots and the only thing left undecided is which will be the No. 3 seed and which the No. 4. If both of those teams win and the Steelers win, the Steelers will earn a wild-card playoff spot.

The Steelers may not know their fate until late Sunday night because the NFL moved the Bengals-Jets game to an 8:20 p.m. kickoff for NBC. The Steelers-Miami start remains at 1 p.m.

Here are the three possibilities for the Steelers to clinch a wild-card spot, all based on a Steelers win at Miami:

• Houston and Jets each lose or tie.

• Houston and Baltimore each loses or ties.

• Jets, Baltimore and Denver each loses or ties.

Baltimore plays at Oakland, Denver plays Kansas City at home. The Ravens and the Jets can assure themselves a wild-card spot by winning.

What are the chances coach Bill Belichick's Patriots or Marvin Lewis' Bengals would want to help out their old rivals?

"I don't know, I think they want to win," Harrison said. "It's still the game of football. Everyone wants to win, so they're going to want to go out and win the game."

Does he mean the way the Indianapolis Colts did Sunday against the Jets?

"Hopefully, New England will get in there next week and do what it's supposed to do," said cornerback Deshea Townsend. "I think coach Belichick will definitely get his players some reps. I don't think you'll see him resting anybody. He'll get them some time. I'm not saying they might play the whole game but he is big-time on guys playing. He'll most definitely do what's best for his team. I don't think there's anything they can gain, they don't get a bye with a win. It depends on how many reps he wants to give them."

The Steelers' playoff chances have been reduced to tossing coins in a fountain.

"It is possible," defensive end Brett Keisel declared. "We know that, but we got ourselves into this hole and we're just trying to fight our way back out."

If they do not make it, that five-game losing streak will haunt them for a long, long time.

"It'll be very disappointing," linebacker James Farrior said. "That's everybody's goal right now, to try to make this season right and get into the dance and do some damage then. But it'll definitely be tough if we don't make it."

For more on the Steelers, read Ed Bouchette on the Steelers at www.post-gazette.com/plus. Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09363...#ixzz0b4XQa1O5

--- Added 12/29/2009 at 04:29 AM ---

Isn't great to know your players fat out admit there heads weren't into the games? Hard to know when you as a fan go all out to support them and they admit to being lazy.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The legacy of Cowher continues to live on boys and girls; that is the exact attitude that was prevalent among our Steelers all during his tenure. The players got complacent, relaxed, full of themselves, thinking they could just show up and win even if they weren't playing well. When the walls started caving in around them they hit the panic button and tried to do too much and it got even worse. I was hoping, and really I thought that attitude was gone, but it rears it's ugly head again.

Originally from Johnstown, PA...now trapped in Bungleland
    Well...at least they're blaming the right people. It should have never come down to someone else being the decider for us. I guess we'll all be waiting it out Sunday night.....if they can come up with another win in Miami, of course.

My Mood
    Addicted
    There was a Lamarr Woodley interview on ESPN where he said the same thing. They should have been able to go into those games against KC, Oakland, and the Browns and win on talent alone, but apparently, they don't have enough talent to win on talent alone (Miracle reference.) Hopefully this will remind them next year that even against the easy teams, they need to work for every game in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    The legacy of Cowher continues to live on boys and girls; that is the exact attitude that was prevalent among our Steelers all during his tenure. The players got complacent, relaxed, full of themselves, thinking they could just show up and win even if they weren't playing well. When the walls started caving in around them they hit the panic button and tried to do too much and it got even worse. I was hoping, and really I thought that attitude was gone, but it rears it's ugly head again.
    dude, our 3rd down and red zone play calling sucks...

face it.. the team has stats out the butt. but we cant put things away..

most of the time you have to scream at the plays in those crucial times....

ben up the middle with a concussion.... moore sweeps the end on third and two.....

pass on 3rd and one, while mendy is getting 5 yards at a crack......

your story is cracked.. dont blame the players.

Arians sucks.

Rookie Free Agent Woodson_DownUnder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    dude, our 3rd down and red zone play calling sucks...

face it.. the team has stats out the butt. but we cant put things away..

most of the time you have to scream at the plays in those crucial times....

ben up the middle with a concussion.... moore sweeps the end on third and two.....

pass on 3rd and one, while mendy is getting 5 yards at a crack......

your story is cracked.. dont blame the players.

Arians sucks.
    Spot on... low percentage risky pass plays are just asking for trouble when all you need to do is RUN the ball...(abit more...logic says so). The Packers refusing to bring the HEAT was half the reason the BIG BEN had a career game. Dropping interceptions, missed tackles and sub-par secondary just adds up to losing results... thanx to fourth quarter leads blown to inferior teams just proves that NO TEAM can be taken for granted. I believe each player has a responsibility and not just the play-calling even though I was disgusted with 'low percentage' play calling by BA.
    http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=705&dateline=12442565  10

Thread Information